Why did Bernie push to dump nuclear waste in a poor Latino community?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:00:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why did Bernie push to dump nuclear waste in a poor Latino community?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why did Bernie push to dump nuclear waste in a poor Latino community?  (Read 1736 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 15, 2016, 11:27:46 PM »

http://bluenationreview.com/bernie-pushed-to-dump-nuclear-waste-on-low-income-community/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

According to the Texas Observer, when activists confronted Bernie about sponsoring the bill, he reportedly told them: “My position is unchanged, and you’re not gonna like it.”  When asked if he would visit the site in Sierra Blanca, he said, “Absolutely not. I’m gonna be running for re-election in the state of Vermont.”

Bernie claimed to be supporting the bill because the Texas site was supposedly a safer place to dump such waste than Vermont or Maine, but it’s hard to separate the demographics of this poor Latino community from the issue.

Environmental activists argued that “it would be hazardous to locate it in the state’s most seismically active region and above a key groundwater source.” Furthermore, according to the AP:

The bill was initially blocked by progressive hero Sen. Paul Wellstone and was eventually passed unanimously and signed by President Clinton after changes were made that provided the community legal recourse to oppose the waste disposal. Wellstone’s objections were compelling:

This entire episode undercuts the notion that Bernie is above “politics as usual.” Of course, to suggest that it revokes his status as a progressive would be unfair, but that’s exactly why imposing strict guidelines of progressivism is dangerous.[/quote]

God, I wish when we had real progressive leaders, like Paul Wellstone in this country, who were committed to building the progressive movement and getting progressive Democrats elected. Instead we're stuck with this apparently-racist old man running a divisive vanity campaign. Sad.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 11:30:43 PM »

disgusting
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 11:30:52 PM »

Can we please not post BlueNationReview articles here?  The Sanders backers are nice enough to not post Salon and HuffPo articles.

It's just a biased pro-Clinton hack outlet.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 11:45:28 PM »

Don't feed this anti-Sanders troll.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 12:00:38 AM »

Clearly he was trying to give them super powers so they could improve their lives.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 12:36:06 AM »

Maybe Hillary will bring this up at the next debate and say, "Ahora mismo, diselo si quieres."
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 01:00:23 AM »

Shocking.
MM876
Rookie
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 01:17:55 AM »

I think a good litmus test of a website's credibility is the content of it's homepage. When I went to the homepage of this article three of the six articles I saw were smearing Sanders. I examined this issue and I couldn't find an article looking at it that did not also grossly misconstrue other statements Bernie has made.

I'm interested in Bernie's response to this, but he's earned my trust on other issues enough that I'm not going to attempt and crucify him without all the facts.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 03:06:51 AM »

This story is a couple of other places, such as HuffPo and DailyKos, although nowhere that the average person might consider "mainstream." For what it's worth, Politifact looked at this story and said it was "largely accurate."

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2015/sep/22/fact-checking-viral-graphic-critical-bernie-sander/

Also, in a totally non-hackish way, I think this is an interesting story to read about. Nuclear waste and as the pollution of poorer neighborhoods are two big issues that are almost completely ignored at every election.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 03:10:17 AM »

Bernie opposed the nuclear plant, and in fact got it shut down. Any geologist can tell you that nuclear waste can't be dumped in Vermont.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 03:14:59 AM »

Damn, the filthy Hillary hacks are really getting desperate these days ...

"The low-level nuclear waste would include items such as scrap metal and worker’s gloves"

WOW.

If properly secured, this won't impact the health of any person living there. And I guess it won't be stored directly in the houses of the Latinos ... Besides, this story is 20 years old.

And I'm from Austria (which is 95% opposed to nuclear power) and I'm a pretty anti-nuclear person - so this tells you something if I'm not getting worked up here.

Let's talk about the things that really matter and which led to the deaths of 100.000s of people: Hillary's reckless Iraq War vote and the consequences we are still dealing with ... now.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 04:56:56 AM »

David. Brock. Any questions?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies