NYC Republicans looking at 31-year old councilman to unseat De Blasio in '17
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:56:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Republicans looking at 31-year old councilman to unseat De Blasio in '17
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: NYC Republicans looking at 31-year old councilman to unseat De Blasio in '17  (Read 6023 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2016, 05:44:43 PM »

New York is like 70% minority. They aren't electing some White guy from an area so out of the way it might as well be New Jersey and which is primarily known to most people for an anti-Black racially motivated murder.

This may be, but here's how it breaks down:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Most Hispanics in NYC are WHITE Hispanics.  In addition, Asians, at 12.7% are growing, and their interests are, very much, aligned with NYC's white middle class.

New York's non-Democratic mayors have not been elected as flat-out Republicans;  they have been "fusion" candidates, nominated with the support of the Republican Party and cross-endorsed (NY allows candidates to run as the nominee of more than one party on the ballot.) That list includes Fiorello LaGuardia (nominated by the Republican and American Labor Parties), John Lindsay and Rudy Giuliani (nominees of the Republican and Liberal Parties), as well as Mike Bloomberg, who was a the nominee of the Republican and Independence Parties.  No GOP Mayor has been elected Mayor of NY without the defection of SIGNIFICANT numbers of prominent Democrats.  (Lindsay, by the way, was re-elected in 1969 as the Liberal Party nominee only; he lost the Republican nomination that year to State Sen. John Marchi, a conservative Republican.) 

Such a scenario could always happen again, particularly if there is a sluggish economy.  DeBlasio certainly has its enemies, but the Democratic Party is not likely to nominate a centrist Democrat, let alone a conservative.  But a moderate Democrat could run in the GOP primary (if the GOP leader signs a Wilson-Pakula waiver) and that candidate could gain the support of a number of minor parties, or create their own minor party so Democrats can vote for him on a minor party line without saying that they voted for a Republican. 
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2016, 07:15:00 PM »

Ronald Lauder.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2016, 07:49:14 PM »

DeBlasio has been a disaster. NYC looked really rough when I was there in December, much worse than I've ever seen it. I hope they elect someone else this next election.
seanNJ9
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2016, 05:42:42 AM »

DeBlasio has been a disaster. NYC looked really rough when I was there in December, much worse than I've ever seen it. I hope they elect someone else this next election.
What makes you think you're qualified to make such a statement? Because you made one visit in December? What could you have possibly learned?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2016, 09:35:21 PM »

What makes you think you're qualified to make such a statement? Because you made one visit in December? What could you have possibly learned?

I went to Toledo a few years ago and it seemed kind of rough. Michael P. Bell must have really been a terrible mayor.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2016, 10:48:14 AM »

I could see Ulrich running a good campaign for Mayor in 2017.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2016, 12:49:05 AM »

I keep reading this as "NYC Republicans looking at 17-year-old to unseat De Blasio in '31."
This is the funniest thing I've ever read on the board. The NYC GOP better start looking at the 2-year-olds with the most potential.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2016, 12:56:08 AM »

I keep reading this as "NYC Republicans looking at 17-year-old to unseat De Blasio in '31."
This is the funniest thing I've ever read on the board. The NYC GOP better start looking at the 2-year-olds with the most potential.

Rudy Giuliani and Donald Trump will take one under their wing as the young padowan learner.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2016, 01:00:35 AM »

lol, I wish
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2016, 03:01:02 AM »

I could see Ulrich running a good campaign for Mayor in 2017.

As far as i remember - he is relatively conservative on choice and some other social issues. All successes Republicans had in mayoral elections in NYC were with socially liberal candidates (Giuliani, and, especially, Bloomberg, even Lindsay in 60th). So - i doubt....
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2016, 08:34:52 AM »

Dude, Republicans could still win in NYC. The Italians and some Irish Giuliani coalition that is still in Glendale, Queens, Howard Beach, Queens, most of Staten Island, etc. could oust De Blasio if he underperforms.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2016, 09:50:26 AM »

Dude, Republicans could still win in NYC. The Italians and some Irish Giuliani coalition that is still in Glendale, Queens, Howard Beach, Queens, most of Staten Island, etc. could oust De Blasio if he underperforms.

Only if he severely underperforms...
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2016, 12:22:43 PM »

The days of Republicans winning NYC are long gone.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2016, 02:57:03 PM »

Not so long. Bloomberg successfully ran as a Republican...
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2016, 03:12:14 PM »

How many years ago was that?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2016, 05:26:17 PM »

2005/11 years ago. And he was the defacto republican nominee in 2009/7 years ago - yeah he technically ran as independent but republicans didn't run a candidate and it was pretty clear New York Republicans were supposed to vote for him.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2016, 06:09:03 PM »

If the de blasio investigation has legs it could make a path to victory for a republican plausible if unlikely
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2016, 08:06:01 PM »

If the de blasio investigation has legs it could make a path to victory for a republican plausible if unlikely

Ray Kelly or Eric Ulrich could beat De Blasio if he was to be re-nominated. De Blasio's former boss, David Dinkins, had a primary challenge in 1993 to a conservative Democrat, Roy Innis.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/05/25/nyregion/innis-campaign-for-mayor-a-quixotic-quest.html
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2016, 11:23:44 PM »

Last Bloomberg run was in 2009. If it's "long ago" then i am colonel Sanders....
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2016, 12:49:10 AM »

He was an independent in 2009. For some reason I thought he was an independent in 2005 as well, my bad. But regardless, 2005 is quite a long time ago. Democrats were still winning Arkansas and West Virginia in landslides back then.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2016, 01:17:05 AM »

He also barely won in 2009. His popularity had shrunk considerably from it's high point in 2005.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2016, 03:26:29 AM »

He was an independent in 2009. For some reason I thought he was an independent in 2005 as well, my bad. But regardless, 2005 is quite a long time ago. Democrats were still winning Arkansas and West Virginia in landslides back then.

"Long ago" for me is about 50 years. The first Presidential election i remember in some details is Johnson - Goldwater. And even that is not much by historical standards...
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2016, 03:28:52 AM »

He also barely won in 2009. His popularity had shrunk considerably from it's high point in 2005.

But he won. We will see what de Blasio popularity will be at comparable time. Some people soured on Bloomberg when he almost forced city council to lift term-limits in 2009, but, overall, IMHO, he was the best mayor in the last 50 years or so.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2016, 04:32:20 AM »
« Edited: April 28, 2016, 04:38:01 AM by Simfan34 »

I've been wondering if the NY Liberal Party could be revived as the de facto branch of the GOP in the city. Neither Guliani nor Bloomie were all that interested in building a party that came anywhere near a majority on the city council.

Now, more than ever, in the post GW-Bush, post-Trump period there is a significant stigma surrounding the Republican label. So why not work around it, and take advantage of electoral fusion by usurping the Liberal moniker? At the same time it would enable the leaders of any such initiative to circumvent the fractious politics of the NYC GOP and select an optimal slate with limited gain.

Let's paint a picture. A charismatic, wealthy Bloomberg type wins election as mayor as an "Independent Republican" and starts to build a coalition. In Manhattan there are the two seats on the UES and one in the financal district. There is a Chinese-majority district-- the 26th, I think, where the councilman was elected as a Republican but I now a Democrat. You have white plurality districts across the city plus some middle class Hispanic areas. The needed remainder can made up through sadly necessary patronage politics.

Come next election, the mayor is reelected on a Liberal-Republican ticket, and 6 Republicans and 20-25 Liberals are elected on the Liberal-Republican line for a majority of 31-20. Some Democrats were convinced to cross the floor, particularly those facing challenges by the Working Families Party.

The next year in State House and State Senate elections the Liberals pick up 25 and 6 seats respectively, in the latter having absorbed the Independent Democrats. The Liberal-Republicans thus become a pivotal bloc whose support is necessary to govern, meaning Cuomo is forced to give the city the short end of the stick less often. The mayor forces himself into the room with three men.

The Liberal-Republican majority on the Council meanwhile votes to yet again repeal term limits, this time far less contentiously. The mayor, who, perhaps, has replaced income, business, and property taxes with a land value tax, and has forced sweeping regulatory approval streamlining in order to quickly and rapidly implement a series of vast infrastructural improvements, including a subway expansion on the scale of that proposed by mayor Hyman in 1923. The abolition of rent control and a direct housing subsidy program results in a mass influx of new upper middle class residents and the demolition of public housing projects. A new... [insert my personal wish list here]. The mayor as a result remains extremely popular. At this point thinking about parachuting someone into the Governor's office (Cuomo can't stay forever) and nominating some Congressional candidates is not out of the question.

I think this is plausible. But the steps needed to make it happen are not being taken. Until then I'm holding out for a Bloomberg reprise-- the term limit only applies to consecutive terms.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2016, 04:45:27 AM »
« Edited: April 28, 2016, 07:51:15 AM by smoltchanov »

^ 20th district. Peter Koo. The problem is - he is, essentially, moderate liberal (centrist on economy, more liberal (AFAIK) on social issues). Just as Bloomberg, and successful Republicans of the past (Lindsay, Kupferman and so on) were. But present day Republican party seems to hate such persons even more then Democrats. Especially - in their "own" party...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies