Atlasian Registration System Reform Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:49:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasian Registration System Reform Bill
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Atlasian Registration System Reform Bill  (Read 5151 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2005, 04:37:40 PM »
« edited: May 29, 2005, 04:39:29 PM by Senator Gabu, PPT »

As introduced by Sen. Sam Spade:

Atlasian Registration System Reform Bill[/b]

Purpose of the Legislation

The purpose of this legislation is to renovate the antiquated Atlasian registration system in order to handle new problems and challenges.

Section One – Political Party Registration

1.   Anyone with the legally required number of posts as specified by activity requirements so laid by the Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia, may register to vote in Atlasian Federal Elections in a Registration thread maintained by the Secretary of Forum Affairs (SoFA) or the Deputy Secretary of Forum Affairs (DSoFA), but may not affiliate with any Political Party or register officially as an Independent.

2.   Upon registration as a citizen in Atlasia, the Secretary of Forum Affairs (SoFA) or the Deputy Secretary of Forum Affairs (DSoFA) shall provide the new registrant with an information packet on the Political Parties in Atlasia sent in a Private Message to said new registrant, along with advising said new registrant of the option of registering Independent from all Political Parties.  A reasonable amount of time for fulfilling such a request should be no greater than seventy-two (72) hours or three (3) days since said new registrant officially registered to vote, unless all parties involved in this process have publicly declared their absence from the forum for a given period of time.

3.   If there has been no publicly declared absence from the parties involved and the new registrant has not received a Private Message within three (3) days of his registration, said new registrant may file a Complaint in Federal Court against the Secretary of Forum Affairs (SoFA) or the Deputy Secretary of Forum Affairs (DSoFA).  All defendants named by this Complaint may be subject to legal action pursuant to the relevant clauses in federal Criminal Law legislation so passed by the Senate.

4.   After the new registrant has received a Private Message with an information packet on the Political Parties in Atlasia from the Secretary of Forum Affairs (SoFA) or the Deputy Secretary of Forum Affairs (DSoFA), he/she shall contact whomever provided the initial information and notify them of their chosen Political Party affiliation or whether he/she wishes to remain Independent from Political Party affiliation.  Until this contact has occurred, said new registrant shall remain Unaffliated or Independent from Political Party affiliation.

5.   After the new registrant has chosen a Political Party affiliation or has chosen to remain Independent from Political Party affiliation, said new registrant shall be allowed to switch Political Party affiliations or choose to become Independent from Political Party affiliation at any time without following the steps laid out in Clauses 1 through 4 of this Section.  Affiliation changes may only be allowed by public post in the Registration thread maintained by the Secretary of Forum Affairs (SoFA) or the Deputy Secretary of Forum Affairs (DSoFA).

Section Two – Information Packets on Political Parties

1.   Each Political Party of over 5 registered citizens shall be required to create an information packet to show to all new registrants.  Each Political Party of 5 registered citizens or under shall not be required to create an information package to show to all new registrants, but is strongly advised to do so. 

2.   The Secretary of Forum Affairs (SoFA) or the Deputy Secretary of Forum Affairs (DSoFA) maintains the right at all times to exclude information on Political Parties in Atlasia who have not provided information packets on their Political Party from any and all new registrants.

3.   Information packets should include, but may not be limited to the following:

a.   Contact information for all National and Regional Chairmen, as well as any respected individuals within said Party.
b.   Links to the present Platform of the Party.
c.   Links to the Party Website and Forum. (if applicable)
d.   A short simple statement describing the Party’s goals and its ideals.

4.   Those Independent of Political Party affiliation may also create an information packet to show to all new registrants, but only one “Independent” information packet will be shown to new registrants along with the required advising of said new member of the option of remaining Independent.

5.   If there are more multiple information packet from those Independent of Political Party affliliation, the Secretary of Forum Affairs (SoFA) or the Deputy Secretary of Forum Affairs (DSoFA) maintains the right to choose which information packet he/she believes best represents those Independent of Political Party affiliation.

Section Three – Legal Parameters

This legislation shall go into effect after the conclusion of the next scheduled Federal Election following its passage into law.  All citizens legally registered to vote before this date will not be subject to the above-stated requirements.  If a citizen loses his voter registration per the activity laws so legislated by the Senate after said legislation has gone into effect, said citizen will be required to fulfill the requirements of said legislation.[/i]

I hereby open debate on this bill.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 04:39:57 PM »

I would first like to hear True Democrat's recommendations on this before we go any further, since he would be the one to handle all of this:
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 04:46:34 PM »

I would first like to hear True Democrat's recommendations on this before we go any further, since he would be the one to handle all of this:

Yeah, we should see what True Democrat says but isn't he gone for the weekend?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 04:47:09 PM »

Yeah, we should see what True Democrat says but isn't he gone for the weekend?

Then it'll have to wait, I guess.  Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 05:11:00 PM »

Just my two cents here.  Hopefully the 'information packet' PMs won't be so full of legal jargon that it scares them off.  All of the messages I've sent to all the people I encouraged to join fantasy politics were (I like to think) friendly and jargon-free.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005, 05:19:56 PM »

Just my two cents here.  Hopefully the 'information packet' PMs won't be so full of legal jargon that it scares them off.  All of the messages I've sent to all the people I encouraged to join fantasy politics were (I like to think) friendly and jargon-free.

Since the parties themselves are creating the information packets, I would assume they wouldn't be full of legal jargon because I would assume they would want members.  Though I could be wrong on that.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 05:33:46 PM »

Well you know how wordy some people can be when they get all official on things! Wink
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2005, 05:39:11 PM »

This seems overly bureaucratic. Remember this is a game, and should only be overly regulated for things that are important (voter fraud, elections, etc), not choosing a party.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2005, 05:42:21 PM »

This seems overly bureaucratic. Remember this is a game, and should only be overly regulated for things that are important (voter fraud, elections, etc), not choosing a party.
There are, furthermore, constitutional concerns. Can the government require parties to participate? Can the government compel voters to wait before joining a party?

Also, there are some practical questions. For instance, will the average new registrant know that he is required to wait to choose a party?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2005, 07:39:38 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2005, 09:29:38 PM by Senator "Pedro" King »

I haven't really made up my mind on this one, but I do I have one small problem...

It was established in the Deputy SoFA Bill that the DSoFA may only hold SoFA powers when they become SoFA for interim/acting basis.  I propose this amendment to live up to that requirement:

All mentions of the term "Deputy Secretary of Forum Affairs (DSoFA)" shall be removed from the content of this bill.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2005, 09:18:04 PM »

I haven't really made up my mind on this one, but I do I have one small problem...

It was established in the Deputy SoFA Bill that the SoFA may only hold SoFA powers when they become SoFA for interim/acting basis.  I propose this amendment to live up to that requirement:

All mentions of the term "Deputy Secretary of Forum Affairs (DSoFA)" shall be removed from the content of this bill.

I'm fine with this amendment and understand the rationale.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2005, 05:54:46 PM »

While I agree with the general idea, I believe this bill needs some changes.  First of all, I believe the time for sending the PM should be maybe a week instead of three days.  There should also be a clause about an absence of the SoFA.  The DSoFA should take over if the SoFA has a leave of absence.  Also, I don't know if the person should register independent first.  The new voter may just want to register without a party because the current clause could influence new members to stay independent.  Finally, I believe there should be some sort of check on the PM sent.  I don't think the Senate should be the best option though.  I believe it should be required that every major party chairman approve the PM.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2005, 05:59:58 PM »

While I agree with the general idea, I believe this bill needs some changes.  First of all, I believe the time for sending the PM should be maybe a week instead of three days.  There should also be a clause about an absence of the SoFA.  The DSoFA should take over if the SoFA has a leave of absence.  Also, I don't know if the person should register independent first.  The new voter may just want to register without a party because the current clause could influence new members to stay independent.  Finally, I believe there should be some sort of check on the PM sent.  I don't think the Senate should be the best option though.  I believe it should be required that every major party chairman approve the PM.

Suggestions noted.  I'll work on some corrective amendments soon.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2005, 06:06:24 PM »

Might I also suggest that we should not require any parties to participate? Obviously, any sensible party would, but forcing them to do so might run into constitutional hurdles.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2005, 06:12:02 PM »

While we're waiting for Sam, I just realized that we need to get this amendment out of the way:

All senators in favor, vote "aye"; all against, vote "nay".

---

Aye.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2005, 06:12:57 PM »

Aye
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2005, 07:09:32 PM »

Aye
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2005, 07:10:03 PM »

Aye
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2005, 07:16:14 PM »

Aye.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2005, 12:18:05 AM »

Aye
----------------------------------

I like this bill a lot.  Good job on putting this one together, Sam.  I will definatly vote for the finished product.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2005, 12:19:47 AM »

With six votes in favor to none against, this amendment has passed.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2005, 12:52:14 AM »

For the record, Aye to the amendment
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2005, 01:34:49 AM »

Aye
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2005, 07:10:02 AM »

I guess this bill involves a lot of waiting, like what we're doing now for Sam's amendments. Tongue
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2005, 09:45:38 AM »

Aye
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies