2005 Puerto Rican Statehood Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:24:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: 2005 Puerto Rican Statehood Bill  (Read 14437 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2005, 04:45:13 PM »

As introduced by Sen. MasterJedi:

I.   The commonwealths of Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands are hereby the 51st state of the union of the Atlasia with the name of Puerto Rico.
II.   The Senate shall vote on which region/district Puerto Rico shall be designated into.
III.   The State of Puerto Rico shall be given full rights from whichever district/region it’s placed into and be under full jurisdiction of the Atlasian constitution.

I hereby open debate on this bill.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 04:47:54 PM »

Does anybody really need to ask me where I stand on this bill? Tongue
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 04:48:26 PM »

Well if this is to pass I would rather see the Virgin Islands remain a territory and not lumped in with Puerto Rico since they are very different culturally and linguistically and would probably not work well together if they were one state.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 04:49:04 PM »

Well if this is to pass I would rather see the Virgin Islands remain a territory and not lumped in with Puerto Rico since they are very different culturally and linguistically and would probably not work well together if they were one state.

If that needs to happen for this bill to pass I would vote for the change.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 04:49:39 PM »

Personally, I support this bill, although I agree with Colin Wixted's idea.  I also think it might be a good idea to say that this will only come into force after those from Puerto Rico approve of it, although simulating that when we have no one from Puerto Rico might be kind of hard.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005, 04:54:50 PM »

I oppose this bill and my feelings on this stuff are well-known. 

But if its admitted, I will vote for it to join the Southeast.  Smiley
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 05:02:30 PM »

I oppose this bill, so long as the Virgin Islands are in it.  Having been to both places, I can say that Puerto Rico and the VI are quite different from one another.  It would be like puting PA and New Jersey together.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2005, 05:04:11 PM »

Is there any way we can add Puerto Rico to Dave's map generator?  Just so that we can still make accurate maps and stuff.  If not, I have my own custom maps that people can use if they want.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2005, 05:05:46 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2005, 04:58:31 AM by Senator Gabu, PPT »

As nobody really seems to support the Virgin Islands being included, I introduce this amendment:

Section I is hereby stricken and replaced with the following:

I.   The commonwealth of Puerto Rico is hereby the 51st state of the union of Atlasia under the name of Puerto Rico.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2005, 05:09:15 PM »

I'm sorry to interfere, but wouldn't it be simpler if, instead of holding a separate vote on the matter, the region designation is determined by bill itself?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2005, 05:09:20 PM »

As nobody really seems to support the Virgin Islands being included, I introduce this amendment:

Section I is hereby stricken and replaced with the following:

I.   The commonwealth of Puerto Rico is hereby the 51st state of the union of the Atlasia under the name of Puerto Rico.

See no problems here.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2005, 05:10:13 PM »

We had a similar bill several sessions ago.  It was an idiotic idea then, and it's an idiotic idea now.  Main reason?  We don't HAVE anyone from Puerto Rico on the forum!
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2005, 05:12:31 PM »

We had a similar bill several sessions ago.  It was an idiotic idea then, and it's an idiotic idea now.  Main reason?  We don't HAVE anyone from Puerto Rico on the forum!

We don't have anybody from Utah either.  I think if Puerto Rico was a state in Atlasia, I'd be tempted to move there.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2005, 05:13:55 PM »

We don't have anybody from Utah either.  I think if Puerto Rico was a state in Atlasia, I'd be tempted to move there.

We have people registered in Utah though. I would rather do something like have the GM make up some sort of referendum numbers, so we can say that we held a referendum, in Puerto Rico, since nobody is in Puerto Rico at this time.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2005, 05:14:16 PM »

Is there any way we can add Puerto Rico to Dave's map generator?  Just so that we can still make accurate maps and stuff.  If not, I have my own custom maps that people can use if they want.

Actually, yes, there is.  I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a secret or not, but in the URL of the image produced by the EV Calculator, if you change the date to "2008" and then add a bit at the end that says "&PR=x;y;z" where x, y, and z are the winning party, the number of EVs, and the winning percentage, respectively, Puerto Rico is displayed on the map.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2005, 05:18:28 PM »

As for practical realities, a good argument could be made that the Senate does not have the power to do this sort of thing under this Constitution and this bill could well face court challenge.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2005, 05:19:36 PM »

As for practical realities, a good argument could be made that the Senate does not have the power to do this sort of thing under this Constitution and this bill could well face court challenge.

What would be the relevant sections of the Constitution to make that challenge?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2005, 05:22:43 PM »

I'm sorry, I misread the Constitution.  It does have the power to do this in the Powers of the Senate.  Apologies.  Smiley
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2005, 05:26:24 PM »

I'm sorry, I misread the Constitution.  It does have the power to do this in the Powers of the Senate.  Apologies.  Smiley

Ah, okay.  I thought that was the case, but I figured I'd just make sure I wasn't missing something.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2005, 05:50:14 PM »

Sorry for (kind of) spamming the thread, but I just wanted to test Gabu's map-jigging trick:

... Wow, it works!
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2005, 05:53:48 PM »

^ I agree completely with this guy.

The Virgin Islands should remain a territory, or better yet, be given independence. They should never become a state.

Puerto Rico, on the other hand, is very American, and should be a state.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2005, 07:47:48 PM »

I would rather support making all U.S. territories into registrable-Atlasian territories (which only vote for President) that will become states only if the registered voters of the territory wish to.  Those voters will also get to choose which region to join and what state they wish to be congruent to for redistricting.

That would, however, require this becoming a constitutional amendment.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2005, 08:11:56 PM »

Sounds good. Are there any Atlasian Puerto Ricans willing to vote, though?
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2005, 09:21:06 PM »

Altough I'd rather not see the Virgin islands grouped in with Puerto Rico, I give full support to the admission of Puerto Rico as the 51st state. 
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2005, 10:17:04 PM »

I still support us changing this to a constitutional amendment with this policy:

I would rather support making all U.S. territories into registrable-Atlasian territories (which only vote for President) that will become states only if the registered voters of the territory wish to.  Those voters will also get to choose which region to join and what state they wish to be congruent to for redistricting.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies