Most plausible Bloomberg victory map
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:39:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Most plausible Bloomberg victory map
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Most plausible Bloomberg victory map  (Read 2931 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 17, 2016, 01:27:48 PM »

This is based strictly on the 2012 election results, giving Bloomberg the states closest to the national average D/R margin to get him to 273 electoral college votes. The Republican would have 143 and the Democrat 122 Electoral votes.

Obviously more likely if Cruz or Trump are the GOP nominee and if Sanders is the Dem nominee.

If Bloomberg can win his home state of New York, then he wouldn't need Indiana, Missouri, or Arizona, and could win with 270 EVs to 175 for Cruz/Trump and 93 for Sanders.

Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 01:32:28 PM »

There is no such thing as a plausible Bloomberg victory map
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 01:37:56 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2016, 01:40:07 PM by President Johnson »

Very unlikely that Bloomberg gets beyond 15%. But let's say the nominees are Rafael and Bernie and both run a horrible campaign while Bloomberg runs a good one:

Former Mayor Michael Bloomberg (I-NY)/Former Governor Jon Huntsman (I-UT): 273 EV. (37.28%)
Senator Rafael Eduardo Cruz (R-TX)/Representative Dan Webster (R-FL): 136 EV. (35.78%)
Senator Bernard Sanders (D-VT)/Senator Heidi Heitkamp (D-ND): 129 EV. (27.46%)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 01:39:15 PM »

I was gonna say. He's known out here in the Midwest as the guy who "banned Big Gulp drinks in New York" and to be honest, he is not very tall or physically Presidential. Nor is he inspiring.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 01:39:28 PM »

I agree that it would be tough. The biggest obstacle Bloomberg has is that he is center-left and would be competing with Sanders for votes moreso than the GOP candidate, but Sanders seems more acceptable to moderate Dem voters than Trump or Cruz would be to moderate GOP voters. A center-right candidate would have a much better chance of pulling off the uppermost map than Bloomberg would.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 01:43:21 PM »

The only way Bloomberg can win is as a compromise candidate in a contingent election decided by the House.
defe07

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 01:47:03 PM »

The only way Bloomberg can win is as a compromise candidate in a contingent election decided by the House.

THISSS!!! It's the only way a third party/independent Presidential candidate can have any chance of getting close to the WH. If he can snatch a few key states and can give Democrats wins in lean Republican states and give Republicans wins in lean Democratic states, then you could have a hung Electoral College.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 01:49:13 PM »

I was gonna say. He's known out here in the Midwest as the guy who "banned Big Gulp drinks in New York" and to be honest, he is not very tall or physically Presidential. Nor is he inspiring.

Out here as well, but the Beltway idiots who populate this forum seem to not be able to understand how hated he is in the rest of the country.
standwrand
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.55, S: -2.74

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 02:53:40 PM »

Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 03:04:50 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2016, 03:06:54 PM by Mehmentum »

Donal Trump / Sarah Palin: 42% (260 EVs)
Bernie Sanders / Elizabeth Warren: 37% (243 Evs)
Michael Bloomberg / Jon Huntsman: 18% (35 Evs)
(The rest goes to 3rd parties, mostly Gary Johnson)

The election goes to the House, where the entire Democratic caucus + a few Republican deserters elect Bloomberg.  Meanwhile, the Senate elects Sarah Palin as VP.  God bless the United States.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 03:05:55 PM »

Promise the first 140,000 DC residents who vote for him $10,000. Campaign nowhere else and hope for this:

D 269, R 266, I 3, and we go to the House.
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 07:18:03 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2016, 07:19:49 PM by pho »

Michael Bloomberg - 44% PV 287 EVs

Donald Trump - 43% PV 248 EVs
Bernie Sanders - 13% PV 3 EVs

An stock pile of Bernie's unpublished writings, which are apologetic to the Khmer Rouge and other totalitarian dictators are uncovered. Trump obsesses over it and so the media obsesses over it. Bloomberg emerges as an alternative and the Democratic establishment is supportive, and with help from the anti-Trump Republicans, he squeaks out a win.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 07:33:40 PM »

What about a compromise candidate in the electoral college itself?  The Sanders electors throw their support to Bloomberg, because not doing so means the election is thrown to the GOP-controlled House, which would give it to Trump.  In exchange, Bloomberg gives the Dems a bunch of Cabinet positions and policy concessions.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 07:39:02 PM »

The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 07:46:22 PM »

What about a compromise candidate in the electoral college itself?  The Sanders electors throw their support to Bloomberg, because not doing so means the election is thrown to the GOP-controlled House, which would give it to Trump.  In exchange, Bloomberg gives the Dems a bunch of Cabinet positions and policy concessions.

That's an interesting possibility, but it's unlikely that that would be enough since Michigan, Minnesota, and possibly other states have faithless elector laws that void the votes of faithless electors.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 05:09:39 AM »

Yep. But won't happen. Bloomberg won't win a single state. Perot didn't and he got 19% of the vote. Bloomberg will finish well below that.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 10:15:02 AM »

Yep. But won't happen. Bloomberg won't win a single state. Perot didn't and he got 19% of the vote. Bloomberg will finish well below that.

None. he wouldn't win a single state even if the GE was Trump vs. Sanders.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2016, 10:27:23 AM »

Correct. You might as well predict a Green or Libertarian victory if you're going to suggest the possibility of a Bloomberg victory. He isn't going to get that many Democrats and only a few moderate Republicans. I don't know why he is even considering running in the first place. I don't object to as many candidates in the race as want to run, but with the current status quo, I don't see how he could win.
EliteLX
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.64, S: 0.85

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2016, 11:09:35 AM »

MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2016, 01:38:45 PM »

Pretty much this^ Even though I would likely support Bloomberg as a protest vote if he mounted an independent bid in 2016 (Hillary Clinton is already out of the question for me at this point and the only Republican candidate who I presently support is John Kasich), I do not see a path for victory for him. I would assume that he would do well with independents in the Northeast, but don't see how he could appeal to more conservative voters in the South and Midwest.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2016, 01:40:03 PM »

I don't see that ending well for America.  That may be the only outcome worse than a Trump Presidency.  If you thought 1824 was bad, hoo boy...
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2016, 01:49:31 PM »

Hillary is nominated, then indicted, and plea bargains for a prison term. At that point, the blue (red in Leips world) states go for Bloomberg. If Trump or Cruz is nominated, he might pick up some of the marginal red (blue in Leips world) states as well. And there you have it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies