Vermont’s Black Leaders: "We Were Invisible to Sanders"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:01:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Vermont’s Black Leaders: "We Were Invisible to Sanders"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Vermont’s Black Leaders: "We Were Invisible to Sanders"  (Read 5553 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2016, 08:08:50 PM »

You know the Hillbots are getting desperate when...

When what kid? Posting articles that are unflattering to your man-crush?

Well, usually you posting an article kind of discredits its credibility and neutrality right off the bat.

If you're judging the credibility of an article based on who posted it then you're even more stupid than I thought.

LOL, I'm judging the article on how stupid its text was; I'm judging you by what a troll-like hack poster you are.

I know you're bitter after seeing your party going to hell in a handbasket during this primary so I'll cut you some slack.
Go find a girl with big boobs and have some fun with her because you're obviously too tense right now.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2016, 08:09:11 PM »

Pictures don't mean a thing, especially considering that there have been a few pictures placing Sanders where he was never at, like in Selma and leading a sit in at a college. The lies and misrepresentations being floated are only making things worse for Sanders.

You sir are a liar.

I'm not the one lying here.

PICTURES DON'T MEAN ANYTHING HE WAS NEVER THERE I SWEARRRR. Ok Alex Jones.

http://www.snopes.com/sanders-mlk-selma-march/

That one was an outright lie

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2016/02/13/bernie-sanders-and-the-clash-of-memory/

This one is quite disputed, but nonetheless there is an effort to desperately make Sanders into a civil rights icon at any cost.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2016, 08:10:48 PM »

Anybody who's spent more than a few minutes on this forum can confirm that I'm not a bot, due to the fact that I actually do things other than hate on Hillary Clinton.

Yeah, changing avatars and trying unsuccessfully to be funny.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2016, 08:11:55 PM »

Well, usually you posting an article kind of discredits its credibility and neutrality right off the bat.

If you're judging the credibility of an article based on who posted it then you're even more stupid than I thought.

LOL, I'm judging the article on how stupid its text was; I'm judging you by what a troll-like hack poster you are.

I know you're bitter after seeing your party going to hell in a handbasket during this primary so I'll cut you some slack.
Go find a girl with big boobs and have some fun with her because you're obviously too tense right now.

Speak for yourself pal....
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2016, 08:13:24 PM »

Anybody who's spent more than a few minutes on this forum can confirm that I'm not a bot, due to the fact that I actually do things other than hate on Hillary Clinton.

Besides one time for a few hours several weeks ago because I was annoyed, the only avatar change I've made is from Independent-MA to Other-MA, so that I wouldn't get confused with the various other Independent-MAs. Of all the things you could attack me on, you attack me on my avatar?
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2016, 08:14:13 PM »

Besides one time for a few hours several weeks ago because I was annoyed, the only avatar change I've made is from Independent-MA to Other-MA, so that I wouldn't get confused with the various other Independent-MAs. Of all the things you could attack me on, you attack me on my avatar?

Ignore the troll.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2016, 08:16:01 PM »

Speak for yourself pal....

I'm not tense at all pal. I sleep like a baby.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2016, 08:17:02 PM »

I wonder why ProgressiveCanadian is so obsessed with Sanders.  Shouldn't he be shilling for his fellow Canadian, Ted Cruz?

He has a thing for 74 year old upstate Jewish men.

Better then Trump for your side which you must be very happy about.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2016, 08:17:42 PM »

Oh, Lyndon.  Too HILARIOUS.  That's why I'm tense, you nailed it!  I guess I could court my ugly Greek neighbor up the street. Smiley
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2016, 08:19:02 PM »

I wonder why ProgressiveCanadian is so obsessed with Sanders.  Shouldn't he be shilling for his fellow Canadian, Ted Cruz?

He has a thing for 74 year old upstate Jewish men.

Better then Trump for your side which you must be very happy about.

I'm not the one becoming hysterical when ever your precious Bernie gets attacked now am I?
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2016, 08:21:09 PM »

I truly believe Sanders doesn't actually care about the problems in the AA community...

and Clinton does?
I actually do believe that Clinton cares deeply about the racial inequalities that persist in our society, and that her record of helping the disadvantaged, especially children living in poverty, shows her dedication to helping people of color. Let's not pretend that her education reforms in Arkansas or the Children's Health Insurance Program didn't disproportionately help black children. Honestly, I don't know how you could look at Clinton and say that she simply doesn't care; her entire career screams otherwise.

And Sanders' aims, whether or not you think they are realistic, wouldn't disproportionately help the black community?  
I think that really gets to the core of the campaign: Sanders hasn't done anything of note and is asking us to trust him to create progressive change when he has shown no ability to deliver change up to this point. Clinton, however much you might hate her, indisputably has.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2016, 08:21:35 PM »

Oh, Lyndon.  Too HILARIOUS.  That's why I'm tense, you nailed it!  I guess I could court my ugly Greek neighbor up the street. Smiley

If she gives good head then go for it.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2016, 08:22:59 PM »

This forum really has gone to sh*t lately, Jesus Christ
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2016, 08:31:41 PM »

This forum really has gone to sh*t lately, Jesus Christ

Time to leave!
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2016, 08:33:15 PM »

I truly believe Sanders doesn't actually care about the problems in the AA community...

and Clinton does?
I actually do believe that Clinton cares deeply about the racial inequalities that persist in our society, and that her record of helping the disadvantaged, especially children living in poverty, shows her dedication to helping people of color. Let's not pretend that her education reforms in Arkansas or the Children's Health Insurance Program didn't disproportionately help black children. Honestly, I don't know how you could look at Clinton and say that she simply doesn't care; her entire career screams otherwise.

And Sanders' aims, whether or not you think they are realistic, wouldn't disproportionately help the black community?  
I think that really gets to the core of the campaign: Sanders hasn't done anything of note and is asking us to trust him to create progressive change when he has shown no ability to deliver change up to this point. Clinton, however much you might hate her, indisputably has.

http://www.alternet.org/election-2016/bernie-gets-it-done-sanders-record-pushing-through-major-reforms-will-surprise-you

I'm quite happy with my candidate's record, his message, and his grasp of the big picture concerning the failure of modern governments, thank you very much.

I'm thrilled that Hillary took her time as first lady to fight a conservative Congress on healthcare.  I don't feel like, however, she is the same person she was in the early 90s.  Her time in Congress was unremarkable, I was unhappy with her campaign in 2008 (mind you, I supported her and changed my mind in the voting booth because I liked what Obama was building, not unlike my feelings now towards Bernie), and I'm unhappy with the tone of this campaign.  And in the end, I don't trust her, and the Hillary people can't tell me I have to.  She's bounced around on enough issues to where I have good reason.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2016, 08:42:39 PM »

Oh my God, the Sanders vs Clinton on this site is brutal. Both sides are unbearable.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2016, 08:45:44 PM »

This one is quite disputed, but nonetheless there is an effort to desperately make Sanders into a civil rights icon at any cost.

The only reason anyone is trying to do this is because Clinton supporters are desperate to paint Bernie as a crazy old racist white guy that doesn't care about black people. No one is ever able to clearly explain how this is the case, mind you.

This is especially ironic considering Clinton's racist campaigning in 2008, but of course, who cares about consistency.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2016, 08:47:04 PM »

Economic inequality IS the root of racism though. The alternative is that people hate other people based on the amount of melanin in their skin, which is stupid. Why don't people hate other people based on their hair or eye color then? The answer is obvious. Because there are no uniform socio-economic trends among people with the same eye color or hair color. Additionally, even if racism was based solely on skin color, there's not much the government can do about it. The government can certainly have some impact on economics but it can't go inside stupid people's brains and make them not hate dark people, so there's no point in talking about that.

You have made much better posts than this.
MM876
Rookie
United States

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2016, 08:51:14 PM »

Yea, here's a montage of Bernie paying no mind to issues facing the black community.

[snip]

And according to the U.S. Census, there are roughly 3,500 black people in Vermont as of 2010, living in possibly the most progressive state in the country.  What exactly did you want him to do to "reach out" beyond being on the right side of just about every issue?  

This is getting a little ugly, but you knew it was coming.  I'm just glad the wink-wink-Jew card isn't being thrown around and rather it just some strawman argument that making income inequality a theme means you are inherently ignorant of other issues.

All of this is irrelevant as Sanders does not support reparations. It was never about civil rights. Bernie could have literally cradled MLK in his arms as King died and it wouldn't matter to these people.

NOBODY supports reparations! Ta-Nehisi Coates had a nice idea, but something like 15% of the American public supports reparations, it's just not something that can happen--at least not now. The other issues Sanders champions are things he has the people on--minimum wage, single payer, etc., but not reparations. It's not like any other candidate supports reparations either, at least Sanders has described what some form of help to AA communities through federal funding would work.

And in regards to Clinton caring about AAs, I'll only note this: her husband, between welfare reform and the crime bill, hurt AAs more than any Democratic president in at least five decades. Her repeated statements that her husband was the greatest thing to ever happen to the budget concern me, especially in this regard.

Yeah he does claim it was him in the sit-in. Because it's been proven to be him. This is just trying to Swiftboat Sanders; people are making crap up and others cite the guy who made crap up, and then there's a consensus that the lie is true.

She fought for single-payer in the 90s. Other than that, I can't think of legitimate progressive change. She did well with the CHIP system, but her time in Congress was nothing spectacular, and her tenure as Secretary of State was closer to Kissinger than Bryan.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2016, 08:53:07 PM »

Wow, this thread devolved quickly. Not that it was ever that great to begin with, but... seriously, pull yourselves together.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2016, 08:54:34 PM »

I hate to get involved in this conversation, since it seems to have already gone off the rails, but just two points:

1) NONE of the candidates were "there" on cause of civil rights in any non-superficial capacity. Once they were public figures and it served their interests, of course they flocked to get their pictures taken in marches, walking through impoverished neighborhoods, and even (in Sanders's case) getting arrested. But not one - including Hillary Clinton - actually put themselves out there or sacrificed anything to help end injustice against minorities. That being said, I do think Hillary did put herself out there for the cause of feminism and risked her reputation in doing so, and it's a big reason I support her.

2) How much does one have to do to be part of a movement? I went to a protest march at the White House in solidarity with the people of Darfur when I was 14. Does that mean I was at the forefront in pushing for an end to the conflict? If so, I'd like my Nobel Prize, please.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2016, 08:59:05 PM »

But not one - including Hillary Clinton - actually put themselves out there or sacrificed anything to help end injustice against minorities.

Sincere question: What does this really mean? This is an easy thing to say, but in all of these conversations I don't understand what could possibly qualify for this. Beyond lending vocal support to these causes, being on the right side of these issues, and lending their images (as Hillary and Bernie have both done to varying degrees over their lives) what more could be done? What is the chasm in their records that shows they haven't done enough for minorities? What even is "enough"?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2016, 10:26:46 PM »

So they found the 3 blacks in Vermont that don't like Bernie. Whatever. Even Hillary hack PPP had Bernie at 100% with blacks in Vermont.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2016, 10:28:12 PM »

But not one - including Hillary Clinton - actually put themselves out there or sacrificed anything to help end injustice against minorities.

Sincere question: What does this really mean? This is an easy thing to say, but in all of these conversations I don't understand what could possibly qualify for this. Beyond lending vocal support to these causes, being on the right side of these issues, and lending their images (as Hillary and Bernie have both done to varying degrees over their lives) what more could be done? What is the chasm in their records that shows they haven't done enough for minorities? What even is "enough"?

Very good question. Similar question: How exactly do you address the plight of African Americans WITHOUT discussing economics? There's criminal justice reform (on which Sanders is far more radical than Clinton) but beyond that, what else? How do you address that people are poor without talking about economics? Wring your hands about "White supremacy" and self flagellate over privilege? Those seem to be the only things people call for and they don't actually do anything. Certainly not compared to universal access to higher education and health care, which have very real concrete effects.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2016, 10:32:43 PM »

Very good question. Similar question: How exactly do you address the plight of African Americans WITHOUT discussing economics? There's criminal justice reform (on which Sanders is far more radical than Clinton) but beyond that, what else? How do you address that people are poor without talking about economics? Wring your hands about "White supremacy" and self flagellate over privilege? Those seem to be the only things people call for and they don't actually do anything. Certainly not compared to universal access to higher education and health care, which have very real concrete effects.

There are actually things Bernie has said about race that aren't about economics. But obviously economics and racial justice are both needed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies