Political Ad Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:08:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Political Ad Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15
Author Topic: Political Ad Megathread  (Read 42744 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 18, 2016, 11:55:21 PM »
« edited: July 14, 2016, 09:38:42 PM by cinyc »

Rather than separately post new campaign ads in separate threads, I'm going to post new ads that the candidates drop on their YouTube channels in one thread from now on.

Candidate YouTube Channels:

Republican
Donald Trump
Republican National Committee

Democratic
Hillary Clinton
The Democrats
Democrat Rapid Response Videos

SuperPAC YouTube Channels:
PACTVAds Channel, aggregating PAC ads.

Republican
Great America PAC (Pro-Trump)
American Crossroads (Anti-Clinton)
Rebuilding America (Anti-Clinton)

Democratic
WomenVote Project (Pro-Clinton)
Planned Parenthood Action (Pro-Clinton)
Priorities USA Action (Pro-Clinton)

Former Candidates and PACs
Jeb Bush
Ben Carson
Ted Cruz
John Kasich
Marco Rubio

Bernie Sanders (Older channel)
Willie Wilson
Rocky De La Fuente

Right to Rise (Pro-Bush)
Conservative Solutions PAC (Pro-Rubio)
Trusted Leadership PAC (Pro-Cruz)
Keep the Promise 1 (Pro-Cruz)
Stand for Truth PAC (Pro-Cruz)
Courageous Conservatives PAC (Pro-Cruz)
Make America Awesome (Pro-Cruz)
New Day For America (Pro-Kasich)
Our Principles PAC (Anti-Trump)
American Future Fund (Anti-Trump, Cruz, Kasich non-profit)
Club For Growth (Anti-Trump, Pro-Cruz mega PAC)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 12:13:11 AM »

The Cruz campaign, who are the most prolific in changing their ad messages, dropped three new ads on their YouTube channel today:

1. Nevada Land, in which Ted Cruz proposes to give federal lands back to the people of Nevada (supposedly unlike Trump).  It's of standard :30 second length and includes a formal candidate approval statement, so this ad will likely end up airing on TV in Nevada.
2. Stop, a 1:00 ad in which Ted Cruz directly speaks to the camera, telling voters he will stop Washington dealmaking, with an audio clip from Rush Limbaugh at the end saying Cruz is the closest we'll come to Ronald Reagan in our lifetimes.  It includes a formal candidate approval statement and can be on TV.
3. Marco Can't Hide the Facts, a 1:08 ad, hitting Rubio for saying in Spanish on Univision that DACA can't be suddenly cancelled.  It includes audio clips by Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck on the issue.  While the ad includes a formal candidate approval statement at the beginning, it is of non-standard length and would need to be edited a bit to be put on TV.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 12:15:52 AM »

Ew, gross.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 12:45:31 AM »

John Kasich released two Nevada radio ads today:

1) Cut Taxes, detailing Kasich's record of cutting taxes and balancing budgets.
2) This Land is Your Land, detailing Kasich's plan to let Carson City manage Nevada's federal lands, instead of Washington.

He also released :15 and :30 second versions of TV ads in the past week:

1) Healing (:15, :30), talking about how he discovered his purpose by discovering the Lord after his parents were killed by a drunk driver.  Yes, his father was a postman.
2) 100 Days (:15, :30), detailing Kasich's plan for his first 100 days in office.

The :15 second ads don't include a candidate approval statement.  The :30 second ads do.   I'm not sure if there are different rules for shorter ads, which would be seriously impacted by requiring a candidate approval statement.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 12:46:23 AM »

That last Cruz ad is god damn brutal.
psychprofessor

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 10:31:15 AM »

This new ad narrated by Morgan Freeman for Hillary is just, well, awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iDRu2q2cRw&ab_channel=HillaryClinton
Admiral Kizaru
Political Matrix
E: -3.61, S: -3.83

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 10:54:45 AM »

That last Cruz ad is god damn brutal.

It's brutal indeed but I'm not sure how effective it'll be in terms of attracting new voters.

I think most people who are passionate about immigration probably already aren't going to be voting for Rubio and likewise, I think by this stage most Rubio voters are aware of his dodgy past on immigration - it's a baked in feature to his candidacy.

I nearly shed a tear tbh. Beautiful ad!!!
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 11:03:32 AM »

That's the second straight good ad from Clinton camp.
I still think the one with the little girl who talks about her parents being deported is better.
psychprofessor

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 11:09:31 AM »

That's the second straight good ad from Clinton camp.
I still think the one with the little girl who talks about her parents being deported is better.

They are both excellent ads. I'm just a sucker for the sweeping music and Freeman's voice. And oh yeah, seeing Hillary through all those years is great. I think you can take this ad and play it anywhere - that's how powerful it is to me.
psychprofessor

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 01:07:07 PM »

The Clinton campaign is really hitting its stride with its slate of new campaign ads. I'm not sure if they hired someone new, but here is another ad with Morgan Freeman....very powerful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYl69PAeN-4&feature=youtu.be
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2016, 12:43:52 AM »
« Edited: February 27, 2016, 12:56:43 AM by cinyc »

The Rubio campaign recently released two state-specific ads touting gubernatorial endorsements:
Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson Endorses Marco Rubio
Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam Endorses Marco Rubio

The Kasich campaign released Progress (:15, :30), detailing Kasich's record on job creation.

According to CNN, the Cruz campaign recently released an "ad the South targeting the conservative base that replay some of Trump's older interviews, including ones in which Trump praises abortion rights and Hillary Clinton.

"Arkansas cannot trust Donald Trump," one spot in the Jonesboro, Arkansas, media market goes. "Don't give him that chance.""

Unfortunately, I can't find the ad on the campaign's YouTube page.

On the Republican PAC side, Marco Rubio's Conservative Solutions PAC released two ads slamming Donald Trump:
-Fools uses Trump's "I love the poorly educated" line to argue that Trump thinks the voters are fools and used sleazy bankruptcy laws to avoid paying workers, bans disabled vets from Trump Tower, and tried to use eminent domain to kick the elderly out of their homes.
-Knows Nothing argues that Marco Rubio is a recognized foreign policy expert while poking at Trump's lack of knowledge about foreign policy.

-Ted Cruz's Keep the Promise 1 recently released Experience, arguing that Ted Cruz knows what is necessary to have a Supreme Court standing for conservative principles.  It's a generic version of an ad that the PAC was running in South Carolina and Nevada with state-specific imagery.

-Ted Cruz's Stand for Truth PAC released Day One, arguing that Cruz is a real life conservative leader ready on day 1 because he has taken on the "Washington Cartel" and won.

-John Kasich's New Day for America PAC released two new ads this week:
Crown, which argues that Kasich is up by 11 points against Clinton, more than Rubio, and is the only candidate with the experience to be President.
Quiet, voiced over by Tim Allen, showing the Kasich hug from his campaign stop in South Carolina, arguing that there is a place for quiet strength: the Oval Office.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 02:08:18 AM »

On Friday, non-profit American Freedom Fund released a series of ads featuring the alleged victims of Trump University:
Bob (:30, :60)
Kevin (:30, :60)
Sheri (:30, :60)

American Freedom Fund is a non-profit that has run ads for or against a variety of Republican candidates in the past years.  It has run attack ads against Cruz and Kasich this cycle, making one think they are silently backing Rubio.

Also, the anti-Trump Our Principles PAC came out with an ad attacking Donald Trump for using illegal immigrants to build his buildings:
Big Money

Our Principles PAC has run a number of anti-Trump ads in the past month or so.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2016, 06:55:19 PM »

Conservative Solutions PAC released an ad in Spanish, Miami.  My Spanish is a bit rusty, but I think it touts Rubio as a native son of Miami who understands its residents and their dreams.  Presumably, this will be shown on Spanish-language TV in the Miami market.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 07:03:18 PM »

Two new Republican TV ads were released on YouTube today - though I'm sure one has been running in Texas for a while:

-The Cruz campaign released Ted Cruz is Our Candidate on YouTube, a :30 second ad featuring Texas Governor Abbott telling Texas voters how Cruz's conservative bona fides in the Senate will translate into a conservative in the White House.  This is new to YouTube, though there is also a 1:00 minute web-only ad from last week touting the Abbott endorsement when it was made.

-Pro-Rubio Conservative Solutions PAC released Better Way, slamming Trump for failing to condemn the KKK, and touting Rubio as a child of the Reagan revolution.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 10:45:05 PM »

Some PACs put out new ads on YouTube in the past few days:

-Kasich's New Day for America released two ads:
Talk, a :30 second ad focused at Michigan claiming while all the other candidates talk and scream, Kaisch has a record of action in Ohio, creating jobs.
Meow, a :30 second which contains a clip of Trump calling Cruz a p**sy and Cruz saying he won't use Trump's mothers' birth against him, contrasting to Kasich who says he doesn't call names, and Americans can lick our challenges if we come together because we're strong.  The description says the ad is a TV ad, but it lacks the verbal PAC disclosure.  There is plenty of time at the end to add it in, though.

-Anti-Trump Our Principles PAC released one TV ad and one web Ad.
In the 1:00 Scam, the PAC tries to explain the Trump University "fraud".  It ends by saying Donald Trump belongs in 3AM infomericals, not the White House.
In the 1:42 web ad Unelectable, the PAC previews how Democrats will try to argue Trump is a racist if he is the nominee.  I usually don't write about web ads, but some of this footage will undoubtedly appear again later on.

-The Club For Growth released the :30 second Trump. He's no tough guy.  It argues that Trump picks on workers (bankruptcy) and widows (eminent domain) and won't do a thing to China and Mexico.  I'm not sure I follow the logic.  The Club For Growth reportedly made a $1+ million ad buy in Florida to air this ad.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 11:33:49 PM »

Two new ads from the PACs today:

-Anti-Trump American Future Fund released Best Negotiators, a :30 second ad attacking the trafficking convictions and mafia ties of some of Trump's business partners and key employees.

-Pro-Kasich New Day for America released an Ohio-specific version of the Michigan :30 second ad I detailed yesterday, Talk.  The substance is pretty much the same as the Michigan ad, except for references to "our governor" and "our state".
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 08:17:51 PM »

Two new ads today, one from a candidate and one from a PAC:

-Ted Cruz released Born Free, a :30 second Idaho-focused ad, which touts Cruz as a pro-gun, pro-life, stalwart conservative, who will return federal lands to the Idaho.

-Pro-Rubio Conservative Solutions PAC released Heard First, a :30 second Florida-specific ad touting Rubio as Florida's best who Florida knew first as someone who stood up for taxpayers in Tallahassee and beat establishment candidate Charlie Crist.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2016, 08:25:52 PM »

any word yet on total spending after Super Tuesday? I'm curious how much money the anti-Trump Super PACs are spending and how much Trump is actually spending.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2016, 10:41:11 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2016, 10:55:55 PM by cinyc »

any word yet on total spending after Super Tuesday? I'm curious how much money the anti-Trump Super PACs are spending and how much Trump is actually spending.

Ad Age published their Presidential Campaign Ad Scorecard today here.  The chart at the bottom of the article lists the top 5 spenders for whatever period you choose.  Ad spending is way down after Super Tuesday, with the 4th place spender, Ted Cruz, spending four figures or less per day.  Now, this might not include Cruz's very recent buys in Kansas City and Idaho, as well as other late buys from the other candidates.  Ad Age's figures were calculated as of Wednesday, March 2, and candidates and PACs have bought more post-Super Tuesday TV in the past 2 days.

Campaign start to date, Bush and his PAC have spent the most on TV advertising ($80.2 million), followed by Rubio and his PACs ($61.8 million), Clinton and a little bit from her PACs ($41.4 million), Sanders plus a very small bit from a PAC ($39.5 million), Cruz and his PACs ($25.5 million), Christie and his PAC ($18.5 million), Kasich and his PAC ($14.8 million), and, in 8th, Trump ($11.5 million).

I think these figures are of all TV, including local and national cable buys.  More specifically on the national cable front, last weekend, Media Daily News published an article detailing campaign spending on the national cable networks since December 2015.  Of the candidates, Marco Rubio spent the most on national cable ads, about $675,000.  His Conservative Solutions PAC spent $966,000.  Clinton spent about $571,000, Cruz $120,000, Sanders $50,000, Trump $26,000 and Jeb Bush $21,000.

From December to late February, all candidates have spent $2.44 million on national cable networks.  The bulk of the ads have been on Fox News Channel.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2016, 11:09:16 PM »

This map from The Center for Public Integrity will give you an idea of the number of ads each campaign/PAC is airing in a given TV market.  But it doesn't allow you to sort by date or give you the total ad spend in a given market.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2016, 11:18:58 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2016, 11:21:04 PM by Green Line »

Conservative Solutions PAC has been blanketing Chicago with the "Fools" ad.  I would say its on every 10-20 minutes.  It doesn't show up on the map, however, so I'm not sure how accurate that is.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2016, 11:43:12 PM »

Conservative Solutions PAC has been blanketing Chicago with the "Fools" ad.  I would say its on every 10-20 minutes.  It doesn't show up on the map, however, so I'm not sure how accurate that is.

The maps and other info lag by a few days or weeks.  Current ad buys probably aren't included yet.

Political Ad Archive is trying to be a repository of ad airing information in some of the larger markets.  They even have a downloadable database of which ads aired where in which markets.  But they are only tracking about 20 markets.   Nevertheless, you can download the data into Excel and sort it to figure out who advertises more on which type of programs.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2016, 11:56:57 PM »

Conservative Solutions PAC has been blanketing Chicago with the "Fools" ad.  I would say its on every 10-20 minutes.  It doesn't show up on the map, however, so I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Expect to see more Conservative Solutions PAC ads this week.  They bought $220,000 worth of ads on WLS (ABC 7) alone - 156 spots - through the 6th.  Bernie Sanders likely started airing ads on that station today, too - or at least looked into it.

You can look up a station's FCC political file on the FCC's website.  Unfortunately, you have to look station by station and candidate/PAC by candidate/PAC.  And not all stations promptly update their political files when ads are bought.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2016, 10:55:22 PM »

American Future Fund released anti-Trump three ads this weekend attacking Donald Trump for ducking military service, not being tough and denigrating POWs:

Michael Waltz - Former Special Forces (:30, 1:00)
Tom Hanton, POW (:30)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2016, 08:14:45 PM »

Most of today's ads have a common theme: attack Marco Rubio.

-The Trump campaign released a 1:00 minute spot, Corrupt Marco, which accuses Rubio of flipping on a key vote after selling his house to the mother of a lobbyist, using a Republican party credit card for personal expenses until he got caught and skipping Senate votes.  Trump doesn't have many :60 TV spots reserved yet - but there's little doubt that he will ad them.  His campaign used :60 spots in Iowa.

-Pro-Cruz Keep the Promise PAC released 6 ads today, 5 of them in some way critical of Rubio:
1) Corporate Welfare King is a :30 second ad talking about Rubio's ties to Big Sugar.  According to the ad, Rubio practices pay-to-pay corporate welfare like Hillary Clinton.
2) Marco Rubio Absent on Defense, is a :30 second ad accusing Rubio of skipping 18 defense votes.  It includes a clip of Rubio saying "not voting for it is a vote against it."  Ergo, Rubio was voting against defense spending by not voting for it.
3) Common Sense is a :30 second ad claiming Rubio wants to raise taxes on the middle class, compared to Cruz's tax cut under his proposed 10% flat tax.
4) Rubio's Friends is a :30 second ad showing Harry Reid and Chuck Schumer from the Gang of 8 fame talking about appreciating Rubio on immigration and pushing for a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants.
5) Marco's Pathway is another :30 second ad attacking Rubio for wanting a pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants.
6) Works for You is a :30 second ad that details Cruz's "bold new" tax plan that will help the middle class and be "tax reform that works for you".  It's Keep the Promise I's only non-attack ad released today.

-American Future Fund released a :30 second ad The Best Words, which is a highlight (or lowlight?) reel of Trump cursing at political rallies.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies