GOP Establishment to John Kasich: GTFO
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:48:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  GOP Establishment to John Kasich: GTFO
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: GOP Establishment to John Kasich: GTFO  (Read 3236 times)
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2016, 06:54:37 PM »

Is the GOP establishment really stupid enough to think all of Kasich's support would go to Rubio, especially with all of the nasty rumors and the way they've been treating him? I think a decent chunk, as much as 15% goes to TRUMP, and then the rest may just sit at home if they keep at it.

And really, Kasich deserves the support more than Rubio does. For all of the flaws he has and my utter dislike of his whole martyr attitude, at least Kasich has actually done anything for the party. Rubio is a slick empty suit with no accomplishments and no ability to speak without a script. And besides, Kasich is conservative enough as is. Rubio is practically Ted Cruz.
Kasich embraced the law that redistributes money away from me to pay for other people's healthcare (Obamacare), so until he promises to repeal it and replace it with something that doesn't punish you for being young and healthy, he is not conservative enough.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2016, 07:07:28 PM »

Is the GOP establishment really stupid enough to think all of Kasich's support would go to Rubio, especially with all of the nasty rumors and the way they've been treating him? I think a decent chunk, as much as 15% goes to TRUMP, and then the rest may just sit at home if they keep at it.

And really, Kasich deserves the support more than Rubio does. For all of the flaws he has and my utter dislike of his whole martyr attitude, at least Kasich has actually done anything for the party. Rubio is a slick empty suit with no accomplishments and no ability to speak without a script. And besides, Kasich is conservative enough as is. Rubio is practically Ted Cruz.
Kasich embraced the law that redistributes money away from me to pay for other people's healthcare (Obamacare), so until he promises to repeal it and replace it with something that doesn't punish you for being young and healthy, he is not conservative enough.

It's called living in a society.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2016, 07:24:24 PM »

Does your boy Marco support repealing Medicare and Medicaid completely? If not, he also is embracing a law that redistributes money away from someone to pay for other people's healthcare.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2016, 10:43:42 PM »

Does your boy Marco support repealing Medicare and Medicaid completely? If not, he also is embracing a law that redistributes money away from someone to pay for other people's healthcare.
Ok, I'll clarify: I don't mind Medicaid. I don't like the fact that Obamacare turned the private health insurance industry into a giant redistribution program that really isn't insurance anymore. I could lay out my technical argument for why it isn't insurance, but that really isn't the point. I don't like my health "insurance" premiums actually going to subsidize other people's healthcare.

My only problem with Medicaid is that I feel it provides a very poor level of care to the poor. I'm not exactly excited about being forced to pay for other people's healthcare through Medicaid, but as long as they're genuinely unfortunate and need the care, I can deal with it. It's a small group. Obamacare means I have to subsidize every old and sick person, whether they are rich or poor, and I have to help prop up the healthcare and health insurance industries (which are both utter garbage right now in terms of the level of service and care they provide) and this redistributive scheme from which they benefit or face a penalty. And both ways are very, very expensive given that I'm thrice hated by the government for being young, healthy, and a high earner.

Medicare is not really redistributive because you pay into it when you work and collect from it when you retire. (Or at least that's my understanding).

But, fair enough, I get your point. I hope you understand what my point is as well and part of why I don't trust John Kasich.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2016, 11:07:13 PM »

I understand your point and your position is a fair one. I'm not a fan of Obamacare either.
I just look at it from a governor's point of view though. The money is going to be spent one way or the other, either it will be spent in your state to expand medicare services or it'll be spent on some other project. It isn't like rejecting it will really reduce overall spending. And a governor's job is to do whatever is best for his state, not to grandstand to make a political point.

I understand what Kasich did, I would have done the same it was what was best for the state. It isn't like he is really endorsing Obamacare and saying it is great. He just did what he felt was best for his state.

Health insurance/coverage is something we all kind of need though. So it is one type of social spending I have no real problem with. It is actually probably the issue I furthest left on economically. However, I understand the opposition to universal health coverage since I used to hold a view opposing it. And your position on the issue is perfectly reasonable. I just ask you think about what you'd have done if you were governor and why you would have done it and what you would have accomplished doing it.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2016, 11:25:58 PM »

I understand your point and your position is a fair one. I'm not a fan of Obamacare either.
I just look at it from a governor's point of view though. The money is going to be spent one way or the other, either it will be spent in your state to expand medicare services or it'll be spent on some other project. It isn't like rejecting it will really reduce overall spending. And a governor's job is to do whatever is best for his state, not to grandstand to make a political point.

I understand what Kasich did, I would have done the same it was what was best for the state. It isn't like he is really endorsing Obamacare and saying it is great. He just did what he felt was best for his state.

Health insurance/coverage is something we all kind of need though. So it is one type of social spending I have no real problem with. It is actually probably the issue I furthest left on economically. However, I understand the opposition to universal health coverage since I used to hold a view opposing it. And your position on the issue is perfectly reasonable. I just ask you think about what you'd have done if you were governor and why you would have done it and what you would have accomplished doing it.
I don't know if I would have taken the money or not. I personally hate how the Feds are perfectly willing to pay 100% of a state's cost for a few years and then cut the support later knowing the state's governor will be blamed. States do the same thing to local governments. I do believe that eventually the states that expanded Medicaid will be paying 100% of that cost themselves.

I understand why he took the money, but I also didn't see him denouncing Obamacare and explaining his decision to take the money from a conservative point of view. Instead, he talked condescendingly to skeptical conservatives and said they were bad Christians (I.e. the talk they're used to hearing from liberals that just makes their skin crawl). And that is why I question his commitment to conservatism and small government.

But I don't see healthcare or health insurance as a right, and forcing everyone to pay for it will drive its cost up as well. And already in the few years Obamacare has been in effect, I've noticed that the healthcare industry has taken a sharp turn in the direction of regional monopolies which have no incentive to control costs or keep prices down. These changes will be extremely difficult to reverse.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies