Team Cruz drapes itself in the Confederate flag
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:11:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Team Cruz drapes itself in the Confederate flag
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Team Cruz drapes itself in the Confederate flag  (Read 1306 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 20, 2016, 08:10:55 AM »
« edited: February 20, 2016, 08:13:50 AM by Torie »

Doing robocalls bashing Trump for supporting Haley's removal of the Confederate flag. It's a little complicated since Haley has endorsed Rubio, but for whatever reason the calls only go after Trump, rather than including Rubio based on guilt by association.  Cruz is doing a fantastic job making sure that he is totally unelectable in a General Election even more than he was.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 08:14:01 AM »

I don't see a problem with the ad, it highlights differences amongst candidates positions.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 08:16:28 AM »

I don't see a problem with the ad, it highlights differences amongst candidates positions.

Yeah, in this case, it probably isn't false. Do you hoist the Confederate flag at your home? That is certainly your right, but some voters view that flag as a symbol of the oppression of blacks.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 08:18:29 AM »

Yeah,  in this case, it probably isn't false. Do you hoist the Confederate flag at your home? That is certainly your right, but some voters view that flag as a symbol of the oppression of blacks.
I don't but when you get into redneck territory in the South, this is usually a big issue for them since they still think the Civil War was just yesterday.
Cruzcrew
Paleocon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 08:31:47 AM »

Polling has shown a majority of voters are fine with the confederate flag and see it as a symbol of southern pride, believe it or not. Also, if Cruz does get attacked for supporting the confederate flag, Hillary should get attacked to for the 2008 confederate flag background 2008 president pins.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 08:50:53 AM »

Doing robocalls bashing Trump for supporting Haley's removal of the Confederate flag. It's a little complicated since Haley has endorsed Rubio, but for whatever reason the calls only go after Trump, rather than including Rubio based on guilt by association.  Cruz is doing a fantastic job making sure that he is totally unelectable in a General Election even more than he was.

Trump's a carpetbagger.

Haley's a scalawag.

(Shhhhh.  Cruz is a Canadian.)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 08:54:36 AM »
« Edited: February 20, 2016, 08:56:20 AM by Fmr President & Senator Polnut »

Polling has shown a majority of voters are fine with the confederate flag and see it as a symbol of southern pride, believe it or not. Also, if Cruz does get attacked for supporting the confederate flag, Hillary should get attacked to for the 2008 confederate flag background 2008 president pins.

Of course none of those were created or endorsed by the campaign, this is the Cruz campaign.

It's a vile symbol of oppression and subjugation of people based on their race. It belongs in a museum. Also, the point that really irritates me as a history nerd, it's not the 'Confederate Flag' like it was the flag of the CSA, it's the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia... so even more a symbol of violence in the opposition to the abolition of slavery.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 09:42:28 AM »

Of course Cruz supports a confederation.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 10:08:50 AM »

I guess Cruz has no interest in winning Ohio or Pennsylvania in November.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 10:44:52 AM »

It isn't that bad up here in Wilmington, but when I went down to Savannah, Georgia, the amount of Confederate propaganda was CRAZY.

To be honest I think it's actually worse in GA than it is in SC.

I'm curious if it has anything to do with the March to the Sea.
Cruzcrew
Paleocon
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 11:25:47 AM »

Of course none of those were created or endorsed by the campaign, this is the Cruz campaign.

It's a vile symbol of oppression and subjugation of people based on their race. It belongs in a museum. Also, the point that really irritates me as a history nerd, it's not the 'Confederate Flag' like it was the flag of the CSA, it's the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia... so even more a symbol of violence in the opposition to the abolition of slavery.
Personally, I think of the confederate flag as just a piece of cloth that makes southerners feel more southern so it really isn't an issue for me. I'm fine with putting it in a museum. I'm just saying that this isn't an exactly a poisonous position by the cruz campaign.
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 11:27:29 AM »

Honestly not that serious. The irony behind this is Democrats care so much about the flag and race, but ignore the fact that their party advocated for slavery. Additionally, northerners were racist as sh**t to my people.

The demographic and geographical support for the parties switching in the early 1900s probably tells us something about that. Saying that the position that Democrats held back then still counts is essentially saying that all those racist blacks want the Democratic party back in power just so that they can be enslaved again. Different time period, different party platform. Don't know who "your people" are, but I can tell you that defending the Confederate flag and saying it should fly back over the state capital wont play well with more socially liberal swing voters.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 11:39:05 AM »

It isn't that bad up here in Wilmington, but when I went down to Savannah, Georgia, the amount of Confederate propaganda was CRAZY.

It turns out the March to the Sea did almost no damage to Georgia. It was an uncontested march, and the troops did not in fact fan out to destroy en route. That was Southern propaganda and myth making after the fact. My great grandfather was on that march for the Union. He was at the end of the line, as a sharp shooter, dealing with rebels who were shooting at the Union troop stragglers at the end of the line from the trees, and his job was to shoot back, and pick them off. He told my grandmother that a couple of times, after he fired away, the firing from the trees stopped. His gang got very hungry, because there was not much food for them, that got back to them from the supply trains that were far forward of their position. I should have asked if he helped to burn Columbia, SC to the ground after Savannah, but did not know enough history then to ask my grandmother.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2016, 12:36:55 PM »

The robocalls aren't being made by the Cruz Campaign, but by Courageous Conservatives PAC, which is run by Rick Shaftan, one of the slimiest of political operatives.  I seem to recall they ran a questionable ad in Iowa, too.

A candidate can't coordinate with SuperPACs.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2016, 12:42:58 PM »

It turns out the March to the Sea did almost no damage to Georgia. It was an uncontested march, and the troops did not in fact fan out to destroy en route. That was Southern propaganda and myth making after the fact. My great grandfather was on that march for the Union. He was at the end of the line, as a sharp shooter, dealing with rebels who were shooting at the Union troop stragglers at the end of the line from the trees, and his job was to shoot back, and pick them off. He told my grandmother that a couple of times, after he fired away, the firing from the trees stopped. His gang got very hungry, because there was not much food for them, that got back to them from the supply trains that were far forward of their position. I should have asked if he helped to burn Columbia, SC to the ground after Savannah, but did not know enough history then to ask my grandmother.

I'm no fan of the CSA (in fact my ancestors fought for the Union).  But we have to recognize that  Union soldiers committed crimes against people in the South.  I don't think that recognizing that the Union wasn't perfect in any way validates the lost cause.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2016, 01:00:29 PM »

The irony behind this is Democrats care so much about the flag and race, but ignore the fact that their party advocated for slavery.

This again.  If the history of our parties were still relevant today, why do blacks vote 90-10 for us, and racist whites 90-10 for the GOP?
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2016, 01:06:00 PM »

So called patriots supporting the worst enemy this great country ever faced. Traitors! Those who support that traitorous flag should be tried for treason.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2016, 01:09:12 PM »

I'm not sure how you can call yourself a patriotic American and support this disgusting flag.  What about the thousands of Americans who died fighting against it?  Ted Cruz never had my vote to begin with, but I'd go with anyone else over him.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2016, 01:36:08 PM »

Honestly not that serious. The irony behind this is Democrats care so much about the flag and race, but ignore the fact that their party advocated for slavery. Additionally, northerners were racist as sh**t to my people

Antiracist racism is a bad strategy but much less morally bankrupt than racism itself.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies