Team Cruz drapes itself in the Confederate flag (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:54:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Team Cruz drapes itself in the Confederate flag (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Team Cruz drapes itself in the Confederate flag  (Read 1314 times)
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« on: February 20, 2016, 12:42:58 PM »

It isn't that bad up here in Wilmington, but when I went down to Savannah, Georgia, the amount of Confederate propaganda was CRAZY.

To be honest I think it's actually worse in GA than it is in SC.

I'm curious if it has anything to do with the March to the Sea.

It turns out the March to the Sea did almost no damage to Georgia. It was an uncontested march, and the troops did not in fact fan out to destroy en route. That was Southern propaganda and myth making after the fact. My great grandfather was on that march for the Union. He was at the end of the line, as a sharp shooter, dealing with rebels who were shooting at the Union troop stragglers at the end of the line from the trees, and his job was to shoot back, and pick them off. He told my grandmother that a couple of times, after he fired away, the firing from the trees stopped. His gang got very hungry, because there was not much food for them, that got back to them from the supply trains that were far forward of their position. I should have asked if he helped to burn Columbia, SC to the ground after Savannah, but did not know enough history then to ask my grandmother.

I'm no fan of the CSA (in fact my ancestors fought for the Union).  But we have to recognize that  Union soldiers committed crimes against people in the South.  I don't think that recognizing that the Union wasn't perfect in any way validates the lost cause.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies