Egypt sentences 4 year old to life and blind man to death (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:51:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Egypt sentences 4 year old to life and blind man to death (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Egypt sentences 4 year old to life and blind man to death  (Read 1746 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« on: February 20, 2016, 10:28:24 AM »

It's actually quite common in the Arab countries to have such confusion regarding age: utter mess with documentation, no regular census (the last one in Lebanon was conducted before WWII) , mistaken identity or, simply speaking, people not knowing their birth date. For example I've heard about cases in Syria when a man is called up for a draft just to turn out they called a five years old or 70 years old. My Syrian professor had two birth dates, but he was lucky it was the same year.

That being said, the freaking judge could see they brought him a four-years old. WTF dude?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 11:55:39 AM »
« Edited: February 20, 2016, 12:01:24 PM by King Wilhelm I of Prussia »

It's actually quite common in the Arab countries to have such confusion regarding age: utter mess with documentation, no regular census (the last one in Lebanon was conducted before WWII) , mistaken identity or, simply speaking, people not knowing their birth date. For example I've heard about cases in Syria when a man is called up for a draft just to turn out they called a five years old or 70 years old. My Syrian professor had two birth dates, but he was lucky it was the same year.

That being said, the freaking judge could see they brought him a four-years old. WTF dude?

I guess Lebanon is different case and no one important want to conduct census because of fragile political system based on sectarianism. Was previous attempt to chose the president 20th time when they wanted to to this? 30?

That is correct. The last census was allowed by the Maronite government when they still had a majority. Naturally, proportions had switched significantly in favor of the Muslim population since then. No one wants to upset the power-sharing agreement (President is always a Maronite, Prime Minister a Sunni Muslim, Speaker of the Parliament a Shia, etc.), since I reckon it wouldn't be difficult to conduct a census in Lebanon.

In states like Egypt, where you don't have Lebanese-style situation, in addtion to factors I've mentioned before, many people simply bother to register birth of their children.

A little, but that's not really why we do the propping.  The reasons are several, at least in my opinion....
1.to keep the men with beards away from Army

Middle Eastern politics is indeed funny. Sisi is basically a Saudi/Gulf Emirates toyboy. The Gulf countries does very little to prevent their citizens from financing ISIS, but they highly dislike Muslim Brotherhood.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 03:21:54 PM »

I kinda hate to say this, but I feel the same way with more and more news coming from Egypt.

I have little warm feelings for the Muslim Brotherhood, but Morsi was a Democratically elected leader and the MB was just one of active political parties. Sisi, as Crab rightly pointed out, is more and more a cartoonish villain.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 06:06:19 AM »

The whole MB threat is Egypt was overblown, given that their support base was quite limited.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies