Egypt sentences 4 year old to life and blind man to death (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:34:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Egypt sentences 4 year old to life and blind man to death (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Egypt sentences 4 year old to life and blind man to death  (Read 1769 times)
ingemann
YaBB God

« on: February 21, 2016, 03:36:50 PM »

I'm with ag here, this should surprise nobody. Luckily this is one of the times the West are not to blame,  Morsi was overthrown by a internal coalition of everybody outside the MB (and I mean everybody; it's really rare you see a coalition of salafists, Copts, liberals and secular authocrats) with the support of Saudi Arabia. Yes Morsi didn't get support from Obama or any other Western leader, but he had been busy burning every bridge he could through his reign. So this is the Egyptians own business.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 04:21:44 PM »

Yes, I got the sense that Morsi and the Brotherhood were more hopelessly incompetent boobs who got elected on a sense of goodwill because of their deep patronage networks and had very little idea of how to run a country effectively; rather than the sort of Evil Theocrats they could have been.

They was pretty bad in the whole "Evil Theocrats" sense (which was why the Copts and liberals joined the coalition), but you're right their biggest sins was incompetence and trying to set up a new clientistic system, where they only rewarded members of the MB. If you set up a clientistic system you should not only reward your loyalists, but also bribe the enemies who can overthrow you, which in this case should be the army and salafists (you could potential trade the salafists for the Copts, but it's easier to keep salafists and MBs in same line than Copts and MBs).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies