What's More Likely to Happen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:55:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's More Likely to Happen?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What's more likely to happen?
Nuclear fusion becomes the world's primary source of energy

Humans establish our first permanent settlement on Mars

China becomes a liberal, multi-party parliamentary democracy

The United States remains the world's leading hegemon and most powerful superpower for centuries to come

We establish contact with an extraterrestrial civilization

other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: What's More Likely to Happen?  (Read 619 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 18, 2016, 12:19:15 AM »

Make your best guess!
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 12:33:29 AM »

More likely to ever happen, or happen anytime soon?

Nuclear fusion becoming primary source of energy?  Possibly, but unlikely to ever happen imo.  Human civilization will likely wipe itself out before we get to that point.

Humans establishing permanent settlement on Mars?  I don't think there's any incentive to.  There's no profit to be had, and any research can be done much easier and more cheaply via robot.  Not much military utility either.

China becoming a liberal, multi-party democracy is not going to happen.

The United States remaining global hegemon for centuries to come isn't happening either.  The United States and any successor states will remain structurally influential for quite some time, but the position as hegemon is likely unsustainable.

Establishing contact with extraterrestrial civilizations.  I personally buy the Dark Forest theory on this one.  Contact is unlikely to happen and if it does it will NOT go well for us.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 12:53:35 AM »

How so?  Our defense budget is currently only about 3.5% of our GDP, and at the height of the Iraq and Afghan wars, never went over 5%.  Compared with that of the British Empire, we run ours on the cheap. 

Oh, you're just talking in terms of raw firepower?  In that case America's military is likely to remain the most powerful in the world for at least a couple more generations.  Culturally, too, America is in such a dominant position globally that it likely won't be surpassed anytime soon.  Economically, America has already lost its hegemon status by every reasonable measure.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 06:33:39 AM »

The only one that won't happen is the first one.  We will put dudes on Mars.  China will eventually be free.  The US will be on top for a long time.  And we will eventually find or be found by "others".

As for what happens first, sadly, we'll probably have dudes on Mars before China is free.  It will be bloodier and more expensive to make it happen too.  Alien contact is much too random, could be this afternoon, might not be for another 200,000,000 years.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 08:43:01 PM »

Tossup between 1 and 4 for me. Voted 1 because I'm an optimist.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 09:31:32 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2016, 09:44:11 PM by angus »

haha.  They are all far-fetching scenarios.  Okay, then, I've made a wild guess.  I was torn between the only two somewhat realistic options:  colonial Mars and contact with aliens.  As much as I want to establish communication with the others, I think a Mars colony will be established sooner, so I voted for the second option.

The fourth option vaguely seems among the least objectionable by some interpretation.  I do think that a sort of North American golden half-millenium, which began circa 1991 when the "cold war" ended, is real, owing to North America's advantageous cultural and economic relations to both Europe (and the faded European half-millenium which began around 1492 when the Ottomans shut off the land route to Asia for non-Muslims forcing Europe to seek a long sea route to the East Indies), and the emerging Asian economic and cultural megahegemony which is only now in its infancy, but I don't necessarily think that exactly translates into the statement encapsulated in the fourth option.  

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 10:15:39 PM »

The Sun's light comes from nuclear fusion, so does solar power count on number 1? Smiley

Other is a strange option here. I could fill in almost anything, like there will be a future year warmer than 2015, and then check the box. I like the free response, so I voted other.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 01:04:58 PM »

I guess fusion is impossible unfortunately...
Mars could happen
I think a revolution would have to happen in China to have that degree of change
Extraterrestrial contact is possible, but highly unlikely.
I guess we will dominate the world. I just don't see who is going to knock us down yet.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies