UK 'Brexit' Referendum on the EU
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:39:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK 'Brexit' Referendum on the EU
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Poll
Question: Will the United Kingdom vote to secede from the European Union?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 81

Author Topic: UK 'Brexit' Referendum on the EU  (Read 11809 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 20, 2016, 01:34:33 PM »

Now that we have a set date (June 23) with a final proposal for British voters to mull over, how do you think the vote will ultimately fall?  Will the UK stay, or leave?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 02:53:21 PM »

Probably stay, judging by the latest polls. This will be UKIP's Waterloo.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 02:57:47 PM »

Probably stay, judging by the latest polls. This will be UKIP's Waterloo.

The Scottish referendum result didn't kill off the SNP (to say the least) and most of UKIP's support rise in recent years is due to issues other than the EU.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 06:22:37 PM »

I'm gonna bet on staying.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 04:26:47 AM »

Well, I'm pro-"Remain" by enough to find it difficult to make an objective prediction, and the pessimist in me thinks that the anti-EU media and likely higher turnout in older, more anti-EU demographics, will swing it for "Leave".

OTOH in a referendum the status quo does tend to have an advantage, and the polling at the moment doesn't suggest there are quite enough votes there for "Leave".  So I don't really know, but I hope "Remain" wins.
ChrisDR68
PoshPaws68
United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 08:31:06 PM »

My prediction is the the UK will vote to remain in the EU by 55-45%.

That said with Boris coming out in favour of Brexit this could make for a nail biting campaign and results night Smiley
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 02:12:49 PM »

I think the more politicians come out in favour of one side, the more likely that side is to fail.
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 03:37:45 PM »

I think that UK will remain in the UK and I just want to note that from unknown reason I after clicking that topic I started to read "CrabCakes" simultaneously playing in my mind tune from Duck Tales. I don't know how to stop it.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 05:24:30 PM »

How to create a tornado to wipe you out.

Regardless what the result can be that's the kind of thought that I had.

Ah, and, useless to say that Cameron already shows as a 'European model' for FN here, it 'opens the minds'...

It might open the mind of a lot of other people/countries in Europe too.

And Merkel-Hollande so caring about the so careless UK might not be without consequences too...

How to create a tornado to wipe you and your friends out...
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 05:34:43 PM »

I'm thinking the UK will vote to leave the EU, despite me leaning towards Remaining. If the Scottish Independence movement could get 45% from around 35% support at the start of the official campaign, then it's completely possible.

There are a number of factors here:
  • The Leave campaign has more papers backing them [Mail/Express] than both YesScotland had and the Remain campaign [FT] currently has. They'll get a fairer shake of the stick from the media than the Yes campaign in Scotland - more voters will know about both sides of the argument; more potential voters for Leave.
  • Some polls already show a Leave lead, so there's already ground for the Leave campaign to work on.
  • The EU won't come out with a 'Vow'-like pledge in desperation if it looks like the Leave campaign might win.
ChrisDR68
PoshPaws68
United Kingdom
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 05:51:50 PM »

Heard Ken Clarke say on the news today that those who are in favour in the UK leaving the EU don't know what they're doing.

Ken, that's pathetic, patronising and wrong Sad
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 05:57:56 PM »

People staunchly supporting EU are always patronizing - because those poor, little creatures can't even understand the greatness of European Union project. Why they are against Europe? Why they follow shallow nationalistic interest? sob

(I am pro-EU but such approach like for example presented by ALDE fraction members and other federalists triggers me.)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 05:58:24 PM »

Heard Ken Clarke say on the news today that those who are in favour in the UK leaving the EU don't know what they're doing.

Yes to AV all over again?
Angel of Death
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 06:01:12 PM »

More so than Boris Johnson's fantasy of how a win for Leave could lead to a better deal with the EU (cf. the Iran deal)?
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 07:26:54 AM »

We will vote to remain in the EU because the general (and in my view unfair) perception will be that it's a choice between following the 'nutters' out of the EU or following the advice of the 'calm, sensible level-headed people' to remain in, as was at least partially the case in the 1975 referendum. I predict this campaign will involve the Remain campaign simultaneously taking the moral and 'intellectual' high ground over those silly outers whilst being really nasty about the advocates of leaving.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 11:54:53 AM »

If Leave wins, and Cameron is forced to step down, who will be the new PM? Boris? Will they be forced to call for a election for a new Parliament?
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 03:35:33 PM »

If Leave wins, and Cameron is forced to step down, who will be the new PM? Boris?

He may not step down, although I think he probably should.  If he does, then ask the Tory party membership.  Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson may well be favourite, but there would be other candidates.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No, unless they somehow lose their working majority in the Commons.  (And even then, the Opposition would have to do the forcing, which would involve lots of disparate forces working together to do it.)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 07:25:20 PM »

The daily mail may be an awful disgrace of a newspaper but this is a good read

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3456472/Do-new-toxic-twins-remind-George-Galloway-Nigel-Farage-bring-memories-Tony-Benn-Enoch-Powell-40-years-ago.html
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2016, 09:31:51 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2016, 11:32:02 PM by Frodo »

With the vote just a couple of months away (and with Britain's future in the EU on a knife's edge, judging by President Obama's decision to intervene), has anyone changed their mind about the ultimate outcome of this referendum?
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2016, 09:44:00 PM »

With the vote just a month away (and with Britain's future in the EU on a knife's edge, judging by President Obama's decision to intervene), has anyone changed their mind about the ultimate outcome of this referendum?

I have. I originally expected a NO outcome, but with Washington trying to order the British electorate how to vote, I've started thinking a YES outcome is more likely.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2016, 01:19:57 AM »

Yeah, I'm sure those bloody Brits are waiting what Washington thinks in order to make their mind up.
ChrisDR68
PoshPaws68
United Kingdom
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2016, 05:52:10 AM »

I still think it'll be 55-45% in favour of remain.

Cameron's ruthless campaign designed to play on people's fear of what might happen to the UK economy if there is a Brexit will win the day (unfortunately).

What the majority of Conservative Party members who are Eurosceptic make of their leader and chancellor's role in using every trick in the book to make the UK stay in the hated EU is anyone's guess.

IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2016, 11:00:13 AM »

Every referendum that's been done in the UK that's had significant polling beforehand has seen a swing back towards the status quo on election day; "Leave" really need to have a significant poll lead going into the thing to have a good chance.  The big issue will be turnout; a July election is not usual, and most people believe that Remain voters will be less likely to turn out than Leave voters, although I think that there a more than a few soft "leaves" around that might not show up.  It'll be interesting to see if Scotland continues to have the higher turnout that it had last year in the general, or whether the close proximity to the parliamentary elections will depress things a bit - a high Scottish turnout is big for the Remain campaign since Scotland is possibly the most pro-EU bit of the UK: Northern Ireland is possibly higher but there's been no polling there so no one really knows: it'll be close though.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2016, 11:20:54 AM »

With the vote just a month away (and with Britain's future in the EU on a knife's edge, judging by President Obama's decision to intervene), has anyone changed their mind about the ultimate outcome of this referendum?

I have. I originally expected a NO outcome, but with Washington trying to order the British electorate how to vote, I've started thinking a YES outcome is more likely.
Those aren't the options tho? Huh
Angel of Death
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2016, 06:37:27 PM »

Surely many voters will realize that a Brexit could precipitate a new, possibly successful push for Scottish independence, which must affect their eventual decision.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies