UK 'Brexit' Referendum on the EU
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:23:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK 'Brexit' Referendum on the EU
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Poll
Question: Will the United Kingdom vote to secede from the European Union?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 81

Author Topic: UK 'Brexit' Referendum on the EU  (Read 11721 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2016, 02:23:04 AM »

Gibralter would probably best trying to make it as a micronation. Then it could at least be sovereign over its own borders.

Actually, I do not envy Gibraltareans at all. Spain will be on a path of war.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2016, 03:28:19 AM »

Has anyone seen how much our economy is now sliding?
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2016, 04:42:45 AM »

Has anyone seen how much our economy is now sliding?

The London Stock Exchange =/= the British economy - whenever something unexpected happens it does this (ie when we left the ERM, which in the end turned out to be quite beneficial for the economy). You can certainly bet your bottom... sterling that it would do so if your party was elected to power in its current incarnation.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2016, 07:26:47 AM »

Gibralter would probably best trying to make it as a micronation. Then it could at least be sovereign over its own borders.

They should just let the Spanish assert their claim and work out some sort of settlement where they can be an autonomous possession, and part of the EU.  Better to be under Spain but EU protection than part of the UK and walled off.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2016, 12:23:15 PM »

I was pretty shocked by the outcome.  England just had a collective "Great Big F**k Up" that will probably break their union, diminish their standing in the world, and hurt the global economy...all in the name of fear.

Scared people building walls around their little island...pathetic.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2016, 01:28:40 PM »

I was pretty shocked by the outcome.  England just had a collective "Great Big F**k Up" that will probably break their union, diminish their standing in the world, and hurt the global economy...all in the name of fear.

Because letting immigrants come and rape your people and destroy your country and culture is so much better.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2016, 01:35:47 PM »

Because letting immigrants come and rape your people and destroy your country and culture is so much better.

In a way it is, though. Having a few people get attacked by migrants - but not at a particularly higher rate than by their own countrymen - is an objectively better scenario than having one of the most powerful countries in the world fall into widespread and long-lasting political turmoil. Britain did yesterday what Al-Qaeda and ISIL could only dream of doing.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2016, 01:41:29 PM »

In a way it is, though. Having a few people get attacked by migrants - but not at a particularly higher rate than by their own countrymen - is an objectively better scenario than having one of the most powerful countries in the world fall into widespread and long-lasting political turmoil. Britain did yesterday what Al-Qaeda and ISIL could only dream of doing.

Well, where was the EU to keep these people out or regulate their entry? What about the Swedish rape problem due to these immigrants?  If they can't control their borders, their cultures will be destroyed.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2016, 02:00:42 PM »

Well, where was the EU to keep these people out or regulate their entry? What about the Swedish rape problem due to these immigrants?  If they can't control their borders, their cultures will be destroyed.

I get that you're an anti-globalist, but how are you tying in rape with culture? Australia also has a high rape rate, which has been attributed in part to the rape of aboriginal women by non-aboriginal men. Should we build walls around Sydney and regulate travel into the countryside as a result?
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2016, 02:45:35 PM »

Also, what policies do you think a Brexit will allow the UK to pass that they wouldn't have been able to previously? And do you really think that Britain can both cut immigration significantly while also remaining a player in Europe? Surely if it wants to even have a Norway or Swiss-style relationship with the EU it won't be able to just built a 100 ft wall around the country.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2016, 12:18:09 AM »

All in all the result was a big win for Father Kremlin.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2016, 08:38:36 AM »

Alas...
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2016, 07:37:39 AM »

lol
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2016, 08:28:58 AM »

Is this serious? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

The only thing that I can say is: give us the monkeys back and ˇMalvinas Argentinas!
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2016, 09:57:25 AM »

If there's one thing Spain doesn't need it's more territory that don't want to be Spanish.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2016, 10:20:43 AM »

It's a bit absurd to think that Spain is going to wage a war on that Rock, don't you think? I don't see Mariano Rajoy willing to emulate Videla.

Personally I don't give a f***, but as a general rule I find tax havens and smugglers nests a bit disgusting. It's clear that people in Gibraltar wants to be British, but in my opinion some kind of joint sovereignty would be desirable. And, for heaven's shake: abolish tax havens!
vileplume
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2016, 06:59:38 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2016, 07:02:20 PM by vileplume »

Wow some of you seriously have zero understanding of Gibraltar or its people, they would NEVER agree to be part of Spain. The Gibraltans consider themselves to be a unique people (ethnically they are too) and not at all Spanish, they despise Spain's attempts to control them and while many may be disillusioned with the EU referendum the latter things do not change. Any Spanish attempt to exert influence over Gibraltar will cause a massive backlash on the rock, if you think they will embrace Spain with open arms you have zero idea about the Gibraltans or this issue. If they do decide to leave the UK (which I would still consider unlikely) it would be as a microstate that is either in the EU or is outside the EU but comes under the free market/most other EU rules. If you want to comment on the UK or Brexit from some distant part of the world please try to do your homework first.

Same goes for Northern Ireland, hell will freeze over before the ruling DUP even considers a referendum...
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2016, 07:01:40 PM »

The Treaty of Utrecht says that Gibraltar if it were to leave English-owned status would automatically be ceded Spain iirc. (Just found out) so that rules out the micronation idea.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2016, 07:04:41 PM »

There is very little chance of a referendum in NI, but there is a substantial chance Sinn Fein withdraw from the executive and direct law imposed again.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2016, 07:07:23 PM »

The Treaty of Utrecht says that Gibraltar if it were to leave English-owned status would automatically be ceded Spain iirc. (Just found out) so that rules out the micronation idea.

You did not know this?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2016, 07:08:00 PM »

There is very little chance of a referendum in NI, but there is a substantial chance Sinn Fein withdraw from the executive and direct law imposed again.

Yep. The main question is, if they are going to be bombs again.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2016, 07:09:18 PM »

Wow some of you seriously have zero understanding of Gibraltar or its people, they would NEVER agree to be part of Spain. The Gibraltans consider themselves to be a unique people (ethnically they are too) and not at all Spanish, they despise Spain's attempts to control them and while many may be disillusioned with the EU referendum the latter things do not change. Any Spanish attempt to exert influence over Gibraltar will cause a massive backlash on the rock, if you think they will embrace Spain with open arms you have zero idea about the Gibraltans or this issue. If they do decide to leave the UK (which I would still consider unlikely) it would be as a microstate that is either in the EU or is outside the EU but comes under the free market/most other EU rules. If you want to comment on the UK or Brexit from some distant part of the world please try to do your homework first.

Same goes for Northern Ireland, hell will freeze over before the ruling DUP even considers a referendum...

Gibraltar is trapped.

The problem in NI is not the matter of a vote, parliamentary or popular. The question is: will the violence resume. I am afraid, it will.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2016, 07:11:05 PM »

Is this serious? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

The only thing that I can say is: give us the monkeys back and ˇMalvinas Argentinas!

I meant it figuratively Smiley

Travel and banking transactions though, will be a prime issue in the negotiations. I mean, 30K British hostages are a nice thing to have when you are talking to their government Smiley
vileplume
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2016, 07:11:17 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2016, 07:20:47 PM by vileplume »

Well yes but centuries old treaties can probably be changed. If it couldn't then Gibraltar would almost certainly refuse to leave the UK and the UK government could well get them a different deal with the EU than the rest of the UK. Trust me Gibraltan's fear of Spain's attempts to destroy their unique culture by submerging them back into Spain and their visceral dislike of the Spanish government is much stronger than their love of the EU.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2016, 07:12:07 PM »

Well yes but centuries old treaties can probably be changed. If it couldn't the Gibraltar would almost certainly refuse to leave the UK and the UK government could well get them a different deal with the EU than the rest of the UK. Trust me Gibraltan's fear of Spain's attempts to destroy their unique culture by submerging them back into Spain and their visceral dislike of the Spanish government is much stronger than their love of the EU.

Gibraltarians will stay British, no question. But making their lives comfortable will cost the Brits some.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies