Opinion of Abdel Fattah el-Sisi
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:41:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Abdel Fattah el-Sisi
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Opinion of Abdel Fattah el-Sisi  (Read 2148 times)
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2016, 06:59:19 PM »

It's nice to see how little democracy matters to the people in this thread.

Some things are more important than democracy. Like not having your head forcibly removed from your body.

But there have been far more executions under Sisi than Morsi? Is the faux secularism adopted by the regime really that important for you?

Yeah, it is. Secular authoritarianism is immeasurably better than Islamic authoritarianism.

"Oh no, mu family have all been disappeared, my kneecaps blown out and all my belongings distributed to regime cronies. I guess I'm pretty lucky though, nobody said "Allah Akhbar" in the process"

"Oh no, I'm being punished by the state for attempting to overthrow the state. This is truly unimaginable. If only I could have lived an Islamic democracy where the infidels, not I, were the ones being put to death."
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2016, 08:09:59 PM »

Hate to say it but Clash is 100% right on in this thread.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2016, 08:40:44 PM »

Hate to say it but Clash is 100% right on in this thread.

I don't get the sense that you hate to say it at all!
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2016, 08:53:10 PM »

I don't get the sense that you hate to say it at all!
Do you really think I care about the sense you get?
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2016, 10:47:13 PM »

I'm personally enjoying the ridiculousness of the left in this thread.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2016, 01:32:02 AM »
« Edited: February 22, 2016, 01:33:56 AM by Zioneer »

We're not the ones supporting a dictator who seized power from a theoretically democratic system.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2016, 01:41:49 AM »
« Edited: February 22, 2016, 01:48:25 AM by Green Line »

We're not the ones supporting a dictator who seized power from a theoretically democratic system.

His election was about as democratic as Hitlers was.  
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2016, 06:13:05 AM »

It's nice to see how little democracy matters to the people in this thread.

Some things are more important than democracy. Like not having your head forcibly removed from your body.

But there have been far more executions under Sisi than Morsi? Is the faux secularism adopted by the regime really that important for you?

Yeah, it is. Secular authoritarianism is immeasurably better than Islamic authoritarianism.

"Oh no, mu family have all been disappeared, my kneecaps blown out and all my belongings distributed to regime cronies. I guess I'm pretty lucky though, nobody said "Allah Akhbar" in the process"

"Oh no, I'm being punished by the state for attempting to overthrow the state. This is truly unimaginable. If only I could have lived an Islamic democracy where the infidels, not I, were the ones being put to death."

F**king serious, man?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2016, 06:29:20 AM »

Terrible, terrible, terrible. Even if it's possible to make precisely historically conditional (as in, not '[population X] is inherently not Ready For Democracy') arguments for some degree of authoritarianism, the emphasis should always be on 'some degree of', and Sisi's regime is over-the-top, cartoonishly evil.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2016, 08:21:52 AM »

HP. He is a stabilizing figure but nevertheless an autocrat or dictator. I read recent reports that state, that it's now even worse than under Mubarak.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2016, 02:08:11 PM »

Terrible, terrible, terrible. Even if it's possible to make precisely historically conditional (as in, not '[population X] is inherently not Ready For Democracy') arguments for some degree of authoritarianism, the emphasis should always be on 'some degree of', and Sisi's regime is over-the-top, cartoonishly evil.

This.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2016, 02:57:36 PM »

Trying to portray Sisi as some kind of your regular "enlightened despot" doesn't hold up.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2016, 03:46:46 PM »

HP. He is a stabilizing figure but nevertheless an autocrat or dictator. I read recent reports that state, that it's now even worse than under Mubarak.

Of course it is, Mubarak had had decades to get rid of any serious opposition except the Muslim Brotherhood, he didn't need to break the neck on everybody raising their head. Sisi are still getting ridof opposition, as such he still need to crush skulls and break necks until he has consolidated power.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2016, 03:54:56 PM »

Trying to portray Sisi as some kind of your regular "enlightened despot" doesn't hold up.

No he's a horrible excuse for a human being, but he's not our problem and I don't really think there's a realistic alternative to him, the Muslim Brotherhood are pretty horrible in their own right and worse they was even more incompetent than Mubarak (and likely Sisi), and I'm not really ready to make my blood boil for a alternative who want a even worse apartheid and misogynistic state than Egypt already is, no matter how democratic elected they are.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2016, 04:47:34 PM »

I think Morsi's support was shallow enough that he'd probably have been defeated in a regular election anyway. Because the army shot the gun (and the non-Islamist opposition backed them up) now the Islamists have been handed the moral hand ground which is pretty grim. Except with the effective collapse of the relatively moderate MB, now the Islamist mantle has been handed to the Salafis.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2016, 02:51:24 AM »

Of course it is, Mubarak had had decades to get rid of any serious opposition except the Muslim Brotherhood, he didn't need to break the neck on everybody raising their head. Sisi are still getting ridof opposition, as such he still need to crush skulls and break necks until he has consolidated power.

Agreed. He's not even democratically elected. Morsi wasn't a good guy, but at least he was elected.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2016, 06:00:42 AM »

HP for being a dictator on the levels of Mubarak, FF for keeping Ikhwan Muslimeen (Muslim Brotherhood) and other Salafist groups at bay.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2016, 05:30:11 PM »

HP for being a dictator on the levels of Mubarak, FF for keeping Ikhwan Muslimeen (Muslim Brotherhood) and other Salafist groups at bay.

The Ikhwan isn't Salafist.

Sisi has succeeded in making Salafists the only semi-credible opposition.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2016, 11:53:31 AM »

The Ikhwan isn't Salafist.

Sisi has succeeded in making Salafists the only semi-credible opposition.

They are Semi-Salafist, just not as radical as the main Salafist groups, they believe in the principles of the Salaf, we could go on about the definition of a Salafist is.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2016, 12:04:31 AM »

Yeah, because Pre-Civil War Assad's Syria was just as bad as the Islamic State. *rolls eyes*
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2016, 02:45:25 PM »

Yeah, because Pre-Civil War Assad's Syria was just as bad as the Islamic State. *rolls eyes*

We are discussing Egypt. I don't think CrabCake would dispute that 'el-Sisi vs. the Ikhwan' is a different calculus than 'Assad vs. ISIS'; would you?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies