Is tonight a bigger win for Trump or Rubio?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:03:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is tonight a bigger win for Trump or Rubio?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ^^^^^
Trump

Rubio

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 107

Author Topic: Is tonight a bigger win for Trump or Rubio?  (Read 2971 times)
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 20, 2016, 09:12:11 PM »

Now that Rubio is poised for second, I think it's a fair question, especially since the media is already singing praises unto him.  Thoughts?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 09:12:55 PM »

Trump, but we still don't know whether Rubio came in second or third.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 09:13:23 PM »

Rubio, he looks to get 2nd, and he knocked BUSH out.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 09:14:40 PM »

Obviously Trump, because, you know, he actually won. Rubber Ducky isn't so good at that.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 09:15:49 PM »

Trump, but we still don't know whether Rubio came in second or third.

I think Cruz would need to rack up insane margins in Greenville and Spartanburg to take down Rubio.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 09:17:43 PM »

Trump, given that, you know, Rubio didn't win a single delegate today.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 09:18:33 PM »

Trump finished ahead of Rubio by double digits. So, he won on that front (that is to say, in the short term).

However, it's probably safe to say Rubio is the establishment favorite, at least for the time being. This will help him going into Nevada and wherever else this season is headed. So, he may be the winner in the long term here.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 09:18:42 PM »

Obviously Trump, but the narrative will be Rubio.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 09:20:29 PM »

Trump won because he won a huge sum of delegates and he actually beat Rubio in terms of votes. Only a loser who values participation trophies could possibly turn this into a Rubio win EVEN IF he beats Cruz for second.
GLPman
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 09:20:58 PM »

I hate to say it, but Trump. The win tonight solidified his lead, against all media speculation, and gives him even more of an edge going into Nevada.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 09:21:09 PM »

TRUMP swept all the delegates and finished with a solid 33%.  There was no Marcomentum as he and Cruz both finished in the low 20s, far behind Trump.  Tough to ask for more than a solid victory with a double-digit margin.
This is also a real kick in the balls for Cruz, tough to see how he keeps these 20-25% numbers in the southern states.  The media is going to make this a two-man race and Cruz's support will bleed over to Trump.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 09:23:17 PM »

Sure, Marco improved, but you need to actually WIN 1st somewhere to get ahead where winning is objective: the delegate count.
Volrath50
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -5.57

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 09:25:40 PM »

Trump. Losers aren't winners, and I am sick of the media declaring the loser Rubio's losses to be wins.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2016, 09:37:24 PM »

Easily Rubio, knocking out Bush before Super Tuesday is huge, and Rubio now can plausibly argue it's a three man race. Trump's gotta be happy with the delegates, but Rubio's strong finish is more important in the long term.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2016, 09:40:34 PM »
« Edited: February 20, 2016, 10:19:43 PM by Illiniwek »

I guess Trump, because Rubio is just barely going to squeak out Cruz, and Trump can play this up as a win, and because he gets all of the delegates.

HOWEVER, I would note that if the percentages hold, less than 1 in 3 South Carolina voters voted for Trump. Obviously he is still winning the race. But that is falling short of where he was polling. If Trump is kind of stalling at this percentage, then he isn't going to really coast to a victory.

Also, it won't be 100%, but anybody that was still clinging on to Jeb and the Bush legacy at this point isn't going to give in and say "well, I guess of the remaining people I am going to support the bully that obliterated my guy...." Kasich may get a touch of that, but the largest bulk of Jebbers is headed Rubio's way. If anyone disagrees, please walk me through the thought process of a Jeb voter who now supports Trump as of tonight.
Why
Unbiased
Australia

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2016, 10:34:18 PM »

It is a win to Trump but its impact probably helps Rubio more in the future.
This is especially so if Kasich also drops out.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2016, 11:00:25 PM »

Obviously Trump, because, you know, he actually won. Rubber Ducky isn't so good at that.

This.

Trump is now at the point where he has forced the Establishment to close ranks.  He knew this day would come.  Kasich knows it, too; he'll get no aid and comfort from the Establishment.  Indeed, I'll bet that there is incredible pressure on Kasich to drop out as I post this.  All Kasich can do is ruin Super Tuesday for Rubio who NEEDS SOME WINS THERE at this point.

Rubio is now at the point where anything but a win does him no good.  He's not proved he can win; he's not even proved he can run a CLOSE second.  He's all mouth, but he has to put up or shut up, and he has to do it NOW!  People ridicule Trump for his obsession with "winning", but politics is all about winning when it comes to elections.  Rubio's got to WIN races now, and let's be clear:  RUBIO HASN'T WON A THING YET!
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2016, 11:04:14 PM »

Rubio. If he is right that it is a three man race, he could rise and close the gap between himself and Trump. Yes, it's a big win for Trump, but because it was a six man race. It may depend on whether Cruz can remain competitive, if not, it could spell trouble for Trump. Trump's negatives are high and Rubio probably would do better than Trump in the general election.
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.74

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2016, 11:09:49 PM »

I guess Trump, because Rubio is just barely going to squeak out Cruz, and Trump can play this up as a win, and because he gets all of the delegates.

HOWEVER, I would note that if the percentages hold, less than 1 in 3 South Carolina voters voted for Trump. Obviously he is still winning the race. But that is falling short of where he was polling. If Trump is kind of stalling at this percentage, then he isn't going to really coast to a victory.

Also, it won't be 100%, but anybody that was still clinging on to Jeb and the Bush legacy at this point isn't going to give in and say "well, I guess of the remaining people I am going to support the bully that obliterated my guy...." Kasich may get a touch of that, but the largest bulk of Jebbers is headed Rubio's way. If anyone disagrees, please walk me through the thought process of a Jeb voter who now supports Trump as of tonight.

You're probably right in that Jeb's supporters won't go to Trump in terms of narrative and 'establishment' v 'outsider' labels - but in terms of policy and positions Trump is one of the more logical places for Jeb's voters to go. On the surface Jeb and Trump both align more with the fiscal conservative, foreign-policy hawk, parts of the party and far less with the social conservative and evangelical conservative wing.
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2016, 01:22:40 AM »

Trump.  As it stands, Trump has defeated every establishment candidate in the first 3 states.  Rubio has won some delegates, but he hasn't beat Trump anywhere. 
I like Rubio, but I have always seen him as a vice president at best.  He's a kid compared to the larger than life figures in this race.  Honestly, until about a week ago I didn't even know what Rubio's voice sounded like.  I don't have cable and have no interest in watching the debates anyway, but I hear Trump and Cruz all the time on the radio.  These guys have gravitas.
I am convinced Cruz can't win, though.  The establishment hates him more than they hate Trump.  Actually, the establishment may now realize that opposing Trump is a fool's errand.  Their guy, Jeb Bush, is now out of the race.  They may now decide to get out of Trump's way.  Let him win the nomination if he can.  Then if he wins the election against Hillary, great.  We have a president with an R by his name.  If he loses, who cares?  He's not really a Republican anyway.  Then in 2017, the establishment can begin a rebuilding process and regain control of their party.

eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2016, 01:24:48 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2016, 01:32:25 AM by eric82oslo »

Short term, obviously Rubio. Long term however, maybe Trump.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2016, 01:31:23 AM »

Short term, obviously rubio. Long term however, maybe Trump.

Don't you mean the other way around?
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2016, 01:37:58 AM »

Short term, obviously rubio. Long term however, maybe Trump.

Don't you mean the other way around?

Nope, but I can see where you're coming from. Beating both Bush and Kasich by a 3:1 margin after basically all journalists in the USA declared you dead after the New Hampshire primary is not a small feat. This will create a really big momentum for Rubio for the next week or so. However, it won't be easy to reach Trump levels in the polls, both because there are too many competitors still in the field and because Rubio is just a nice, decent human being who doesn't make constant headlines unlike Trump. When was the last day when Trump was not the single biggest headline in the US? Probably sometime around Christmas or New Year. And when was the time that Rubio actually WAS a really big US-wide headline? Has that day even happened yet? Rubio is the Obama to Trump's Osama bin Laden. The two first are professorial, the last two are bombastic.
Trapsy

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2016, 02:57:46 AM »

RUBIO GOT ZERO DELEGATES.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2016, 03:04:54 AM »

TRUMP GOT ALL 50 DELEGATES.

Luckily Minnesota is the only state where 100% of the population is illiterate.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies