Odds that Kasich trades his support for the VP spot
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:01:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Odds that Kasich trades his support for the VP spot
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Odds that Kasich trades his support for the VP spot  (Read 755 times)
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 21, 2016, 01:25:41 AM »

This seems to be the most obvious way forward for Kasich now.
Spend the remaining dough and momentum to run up the numbers, then cash in by dropping out and endorsing Rubio in exchange for the VP spot.
Only question is if Rubio already promised it to Nikki...
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 01:27:40 AM »

I think Kasich has a path to the nomination, especially if Rubio stumbles again.

I also don't see Kasich being interested in being the Paul Ryan of 2016!
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 01:28:57 AM »

Spend the remaining dough and momentum to run up the numbers, then cash in by dropping out and endorsing Rubio in exchange for the VP spot.

It's close to 100% certain that Haley, if she doesn't mind, will be Rubio's pick for the VP slot. Even for a giant like Hillary, it's gonna be really, really difficult to beat a ticket consisting of Rubio and Haley, the two most optimistic, modern, future-embracing Republican politicians for the past 60 years or so.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 01:30:35 AM »

Would Rubio really make that kind of deal with Haley if as is rumored she would have a difficult time making it through the vetting process?
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 01:32:26 AM »

It's close to 100% certain that Haley, if she doesn't mind, will be Rubio's pick for the VP slot. Even for a giant like Hillary, it's gonna be really, really difficult to beat a ticket consisting of Rubio and Haley, the two most optimistic, modern, future-embracing Republican politicians for the past 60 years or so.

Frankly I think Kasich brings significantly more to both the ticket and the administration than Haley does.

Haley is just an OK governor and has minimal other experience.  Kasich has tons of experience and can work with Congress, with Rubio has already shown he can't do.
Also, Rubio has foreign policy chops but little domestic policy skill.  Kasich is all about that domestic policy.
Kasich is also a very optimistic fellow and has gotten pretty good at showing that on the campaign trail.
I'm not Rubio needs more of the young/minority image.  Diminishing returns there.
Kasich also has a lot of Democrat and Independent fans.  He might convince some of them to cross over.
Also, Ohio.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 01:33:05 AM »

Would Rubio really make that kind of deal with Haley if as is rumored she would have a difficult time making it through the vetting process?

It's probably a right of first refusal thing.  If Haley and several others each make it through the vetting process Rubio asks her first, that kind of thing.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 01:53:22 AM »

I think the only possible candidate that could stand to gain from that deal is Rubio. It might happen but I have a feeling that Kasich believes in himself a bit to much to actually attempt that.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 01:58:31 AM »

Maybe I'm underestimating American voters, but I really doubt that either party will have two non-white people on the ticket in 2016. I'm sure Rubio can find a place in his Cabinet for Haley.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies