Who Had The Greatest Democratic Landslide Of All Time?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:23:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Who Had The Greatest Democratic Landslide Of All Time?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: In your opinion, which democrat had the greatest landslide of all time for his party?
Franklin D. Roosevelt (1936)

Lyndon B. Johnson (1964)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Who Had The Greatest Democratic Landslide Of All Time?  (Read 1328 times)
MIKESOWELL
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 21, 2016, 03:31:38 PM »

I only see two serious options for this question, FDR and LBJ. Who do you pick?
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 03:40:02 PM »

FDR's was more impressive because the Democratic Party was basically dying just a few years before and the party machinery had yet to even rebuild itself in large parts of the country.

Johnson's was impressive in a different way, though, as he managed to win constituencies that the Democrats haven't been able to appeal to before or since.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 06:13:02 PM »

LBJ under-performed considering who Goldwater was, how he became President, and the nature of his campaign: I mean he really should have cracked 60% in California for crying out loud. He also should have been able to win Arizona, which still had a decent Democratic Party then.

So I'll go with FDR.

However, Franklin Pierce in 1852 is also worth a mention on that front.
Hydera

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 11:36:55 PM »

Popular vote obviously went to LBJ, but IDK how LBJ's landslide was the greatest since he lost the deep south while FDR won everything but two New England states in 1936.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 08:26:46 AM »

FDR.  Landon didn't even break double digits in the electoral vote.
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 01:25:34 AM »

Roosevelt in 1936--winning everything except Maine and Vermont.  And the Republicans didn't even elect 100 members in the House and were below 20 in the Senate.

Johnson's 61% is the highest percentage--but he was running in the high 60s and even into the 70s for most of 1964.  Some of the ethics issues such as Bobby Baker and Walter Jenkins caused some erosion of support for him.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 05:22:46 AM »

LBJ underperformed when compared to some polls which showed he was leading with like 80% at one point.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 05:28:50 AM »
« Edited: February 25, 2016, 05:33:19 AM by MohamedChalid »

Actually a tie, but tilz LBJ. He got most PV votes, 61.1%. A record that will, I think, remain unmatched forever.

LBJ under-performed considering who Goldwater was, how he became President, and the nature of his campaign: I mean he really should have cracked 60% in California for crying out loud. He also should have been able to win Arizona, which still had a decent Democratic Party then.

So I'll go with FDR.

However, Franklin Pierce in 1852 is also worth a mention on that front.

With 50% of the vote? He got 85% of the electoral vote; something that FDR outperformed twice (1932 and 1936) and tied once; in 1940. And 1944 was just slightly less (81%). Pierce 1852 is very simular to Reagan 1980 in terms of PVs and EVs.
MIKESOWELL
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 11:05:16 AM »

I think Pierce won the popular vote in 1852 with something like 51.4% of the vote to 44 percent for his opponent, which is considerable but not landslide proportions. I believe that Taft in 1908 (yes, I know he was a Republican) did a bit better percentage wise in spread than Pierce. The electoral vote was considerable, 254 to 42, but it pales in comparison to the Roosevelt and LBJ landslides. Heck, Andrew Jackson did much better in the popular vote than Pierce.
MIKESOWELL
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 11:22:06 AM »

This is something that I have always wanted to say about Lyndon Johnson's popular majority record of 61.1 percent. Yes, it is incredible. Yes, it is almost a certainty that this mark will remain unchallenged. However, there was very little opposition that year to the major party vote that year. I think that minor parties only made up 0.5 percent of the total vote. That is extremely paltry in any election year. By comparison, in 1972 minor parties were 1.8 percent of the total vote, in 1936 2.7 percent, and in 1920 5.5 percent. This may be a bad comparison, but it's sort of like if a team scored 52 points against the Giants defense last year, compared to a team scoring 45 points against the Broncos defense this past year. Sure, the other team scored more points, but did not face the level of opposition and resistance that the Broncos opponent did. I might be reaching a bit, but do anyone see my point?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 05:19:33 AM »

I think Pierce won the popular vote in 1852 with something like 51.4% of the vote to 44 percent for his opponent, which is considerable but not landslide proportions. I believe that Taft in 1908 (yes, I know he was a Republican) did a bit better percentage wise in spread than Pierce. The electoral vote was considerable, 254 to 42, but it pales in comparison to the Roosevelt and LBJ landslides. Heck, Andrew Jackson did much better in the popular vote than Pierce.

Even Obama did better in the PV than Pierce in 2008 and 2012.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 07:56:53 AM »

LBJ's percentage was only marginally higher than FDR's who sweept the entire country save for two small states remaining from the Republican equivalent of the Solid South.

Also: lol at people saying Pierce.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies