Is the progressive income tax worse than slavery?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:58:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is the progressive income tax worse than slavery?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Is the progressive income tax worse than slavery?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Is the progressive income tax worse than slavery?  (Read 3433 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 30, 2005, 11:53:12 AM »

hmmm, no.
Cashcow

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 11:58:28 AM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=22994.0

Tongue
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 12:00:34 PM »

didn't see it, but stupid things Philip says need more attention anyway.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 12:07:40 PM »

well, a progressive income tax IS slavery, so that's like asking "Is slavery worse than slavery?"  In that case, no, they're equally as bad.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 12:10:09 PM »

Do you feel the need to make polls for everything anyone says on this forum. If everyone spammed the board like you do, the board would shut down.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 12:34:21 PM »

Of course not.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005, 01:01:59 PM »

Wow, the wingnuts are out in force today.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005, 01:03:06 PM »

A lot worse
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2005, 01:03:46 PM »

Ugh no
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2005, 01:09:07 PM »

well, a progressive income tax IS slavery, so that's like asking "Is slavery worse than slavery?"  In that case, no, they're equally as bad.

Just because someone says something stupid, that doesn't mean you need to make a poll about it.  However, some people apparently have thought about this an actually agree with the comment, so maybe this is something that needs to come to light.

To say that the income tax and slavery are equally bad shows an appalling lack of historical perspective, and is really insulting to the progress that American society has made. 

Does the income consign you to a life of tedious manual labor?  Can this income tax beat you within an inch of you life for the slightest insubordination?  Can the income tax rape you?   Can the income tax sell you children to someone who you will never see again?

Comments like demonstrate why Libertarians never get more than 1% of the vote, and deservedly so.

A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2005, 01:19:44 PM »

We're talking about generic slavery, wingnut. Progressive tax brackets are far more destructive than that.

Slavery can exist as a just punishment for crime whereof the party has been duly convicted. When it has not, it has always and everywhere proved to be a temporary phenomena.

The progressive income tax, as we know it, however, is always unjust: it divides people into classes and encourages them to carve out a majority to tax only the other classes to pay for their own selfish interests.

Now, I can certainly understand the argument that needs should be exempt from taxation, and so I support a progressive flat tax, with a single bracket but an exemption of about $13,000, enough for an individual to live on each year.
WilliamSeward
sepoy1857
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2005, 01:24:55 PM »

The progressive income tax, as we know it, however, is always unjust: it divides people into classes and encourages them to carve out a majority to tax only the other classes to pay for their own selfish interests.

Now, I can certainly understand the argument that needs should be exempt from taxation, and so I support a progressive flat tax, with a single bracket but an exemption of about $13,000, enough for an individual to live on each year.

You're contradicting yourself, Cashcrop. A flax tax with an exemption also "divides people into classes". I'm not sure I understood the rest of the point. Also, there's a difference between forced labor as part of a prison sentence and slavery. A subtle one maybe, but definitely it's there.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2005, 01:29:03 PM »

Just because someone says something stupid, that doesn't mean you need to make a poll about it.  However, some people apparently have thought about this an actually agree with the comment, so maybe this is something that needs to come to light.

To say that the income tax and slavery are equally bad shows an appalling lack of historical perspective, and is really insulting to the progress that American society has made. 

Does the income consign you to a life of tedious manual labor?  Can this income tax beat you within an inch of you life for the slightest insubordination?  Can the income tax rape you?   Can the income tax sell you children to someone who you will never see again?

Comments like demonstrate why Libertarians never get more than 1% of the vote, and deservedly so.

Just a thought for you. In medieval times, the peasants had to give a third of their income to the Lord of the Manor. And they are considered to have been slaves.
What does that make of us?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2005, 01:32:51 PM »

worse than slavery? no

it certainly is thievery, however.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2005, 01:34:18 PM »

You're contradicting yourself, Cashcrop. A flax tax with an exemption also "divides people into classes". I'm not sure I understood the rest of the point. Also, there's a difference between forced labor as part of a prison sentence and slavery. A subtle one maybe, but definitely it's there.

No it doesn't, because everyone has their needs exempted and nothing more. All luxuries are taxed at the same rate.

There's no way to just carve out a majority of people who make less than $13,000 to raise the rate, and spend the money of the taxpayers on the selfish wants of this majority.
WilliamSeward
sepoy1857
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2005, 01:36:32 PM »

No it doesn't, because everyone has their needs exempted and nothing more. All luxuries are taxed at the same rate.

There's no way to just carve out a majority of people who make less than $13,000 to raise the rate, and spend the money of the taxpayers on the selfish wants of this majority.

Ok, I think I understand what you were saying better now. It makes sense.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2005, 03:40:16 PM »

Just a thought for you. In medieval times, the peasants had to give a third of their income to the Lord of the Manor. And they are considered to have been slaves.
What does that make of us?

What do you mean "they are considered to have been slaves"?  Who considers them to have been slaves?  I always learned that they were "serfs".  They didn't own land, but that's a lot different than slavery.

Slavery is the specific institution of one person being the property of another person.   It is not serfdom, or a caste system, or discrimination.  People claiming that the income tax is the same as slavery are really trivializing an horrific practice.
ragnar
grendel
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2005, 04:10:35 PM »

then was the last time your wife or female relative was raped by a taxcollecter, and you was beaten to a near death by one?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2005, 06:09:00 PM »

Wow, some people need a good dose of reality.

Let's see:

Slavery is where you physically belong to another person, and that other person can force you to do whatever he wants.  You have no free will, no freedom to do anything your master does not want you to do, and can be treated as horribly as your master deems necessary.  You can never leave unless your master lets you go.

The progressive income tax is where the government takes a minority of your income and uses it to provide you with public goods that could not be provided as effectively if left up to a private company, like national defense.  You still retain a majority of your income and can use it however you please.  The government cannot take as much as it pleases, it can only take a set amount.  Additionally, you are more than welcome to leave the country to one with less tax if you so desire.  Beyond taking a portion of your income, the progressive income tax does not restrict your life in any way.

GEE WOW I DUNNO, I THINK THE TAX IS A LOT WORSE
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2005, 06:11:29 PM »

No, most of those things are not givens for a progressive income tax, and the question isn't whether we'd rather be a slave or pay a progressive income tax. The question is which is worse.

Slavery has done far less harm historically than the progressive income tax. After all, there were times when slavery made sense.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2005, 06:26:13 PM »

No, most of those things are not givens for a progressive income tax, and the question isn't whether we'd rather be a slave or pay a progressive income tax. The question is which is worse.

Slavery has done far less harm historically than the progressive income tax. After all, there were times when slavery made sense.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2005, 06:28:18 PM »

Whenever I hear someone arguing for jail sentences, I feel a strong urge to see it tried of him personally.

Try posting something less brain dead, James.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2005, 06:34:06 PM »

Whenever I hear someone arguing for jail sentences, I feel a strong urge to see it tried of him personally.

Try posting something less brain dead, James.

Someone should start a poll asking, "Are jail sentences worse than slavery?"
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2005, 06:40:54 PM »

Just pointing out the logical fallacy.

Slavery made sense in some cases. For example, if one tribe attacks another tribe, and the latter tribe wins the war, that tribe would be perfectly justified in punishing the other tribe for the damage to their territory and lives lost.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2005, 06:46:06 PM »

You know, if there is any possibility you will be interested in a political job at some point in your life, you may want to think about some of the things you are posting on this forum before you make them part of a permanent public record.  There will always be someone willing to dig through the past to find dirt on someone, and comments like this can end a career in an instant.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies