Why Trump could legitamately do well with African-American voters.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:44:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why Trump could legitamately do well with African-American voters.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Poll
Question: What percentage of African-American voters do you think would go to Trump?
20%+

19%

18%

17%

16%

15%

14%

13%

12%

11% (The percentage Bush got against Kerry)

10%

9%

8%

7%

6% (The percentage Romney got against Obama)

5%

4%

3%

Purple heart%

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 244

Author Topic: Why Trump could legitamately do well with African-American voters.  (Read 12494 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2016, 01:46:02 AM »

The fact of the matter is, no one is going to care about some 'Politico article."
What people remember is that trump made the biggest "thing" about it, since the invention of sliced bread.
And besides, just because someone else started the rumor, doesn't excuse trump for believing in something so stupid (Obama birtherism), and then shouting like a crazy idiot in the streets that the sky is falling !
Do you understand ?  ..... trump looked like a total clown when he did this.

It does matter when the person who sowed the racist seeds of doubt in the first place is the person he is literally running against. It matters that it's out of Politico because like Hillary's emails, it's not some right-wing smear out of Drudge or Breitbart, it's out of the liberal media. Trump isn't going to willingly go there, as he has nothing to gain, but Clinton damn well knows that if she goes there, he will hit her back. Clinton's hit him on just about everything already, and if she thought going there would be a net benefit for her, she would have.

If you hear a rumor (even if the Dems created it) that someone is half human and half Martian, you don't go around making a huge stink about it to the press and to the entire world (and demanding proof with birth certificates). The electorate is looking at you, saying "what the hell is that guy (trump) smoking ? !"
And then later say, "well it's not really my fault, I didn't start this. I didn't start this rumor."
"Please forgive me for acting like a crazy-ass idiot."

This is almost equivalent to what happened.
No other politician went down the "trump road" with this.
They all knew that if you did, you would just look nuts.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2016, 04:34:40 AM »

There are a number of blacks who view Hispanic immigrants as competition for jobs and are not turned off by Trump's immigration stances.  More than some folks think. 

You are absolutely correct many Blacks are not turned off by his immigration stance. Rather they are turned off by his racism. It's possible to want to shut down illegal immigration without being a racist asshole like Trump. If you Republicans did that maybe you would have a chance. As a legal immigrant whose parents went through the process (I was a kid) I don't carry any water for illegals. But when you people start demonizing these people unfairly, you bet I'll come to their defense. Don't unfairly demonize people. It might not be good politics in the primary but it is in the general. Moreover, and most importantly, it's what a decent person would do.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2016, 05:23:33 AM »

There are a number of blacks who view Hispanic immigrants as competition for jobs and are not turned off by Trump's immigration stances.  More than some folks think. 

You are absolutely correct many Blacks are not turned off by his immigration stance. Rather they are turned off by his racism. It's possible to want to shut down illegal immigration without being a racist asshole like Trump. If you Republicans did that maybe you would have a chance. As a legal immigrant whose parents went through the process (I was a kid) I don't carry any water for illegals. But when you people start demonizing these people unfairly, you bet I'll come to their defense. Don't unfairly demonize people. It might not be good politics in the primary but it is in the general. Moreover, and most importantly, it's what a decent person would do.

Not correct.   Blacks haven't figured that out yet.  If they did they would have already started to leave the Dem's already.

When Trump says " make America great again' and the dishonest digesting media shows nothing but old white men with long hillbilly beards in the crowd, to us blacks we see that as "make America white again". 

SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2016, 06:25:29 AM »

So Trump is going to attack Hillary for "starting Birtherism" even though he dabbled in it up until this campaign? And blacks will believe him with Obama campaigning for Hillary?

If Hillary starts in on Trump, he'll simply start waving the Politico article that indicates that the whole thing originated somewhere with the Democrats, so good luck with making that an issue...

4. Hillary is running. You guys have to remember that Hillary invented birther-ism. As you all know, she ran a very racist campaign against Obama, and Trump could use this to his advantage.

You guys have to remember that Hillary invented birther-ism

No she didn't, there was never any proof that she was responsible for that

It may not have been Hillary, but I think it's fairly clear that it originated within the ranks of the Democrats.

In a Politico article dated April 22, 2011 with the headline "Birtherism: Where it all began"  (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0411/53563.html), we read the following:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Obama himself will never allow Donald Trump of all people to deflect from birtherism. Clinton doesn't even have to mention a single word about it.

Exactly, I agree. Hillary does not have to say a word about the birtherism issue.
Obama can do all the talking here, as he should, since it was he (Obama) who was attacked.

Per the FactCheck entry of November 2008:

The whole birther question may have been nutty, but it didn't originate within Republican ranks, at least not according to FactCheck.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2016, 07:32:56 AM »

Trump tweets doctored photo ripped off WCPO.com

http://www.wcpo.com/news/political/trump-tweets-doctored-photo-ripped-off-wcpocom

Trump has been reduced to stealing pictures of African-American families and pretending they support him. And it's only early June. He's going to be lucky to get half of Romney's numbers with African-Americans.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2016, 07:37:39 AM »

http://www.wcpo.com/news/political/trump-tweets-doctored-photo-ripped-off-wcpocom

Trump has been reduced to stealing pictures of African-American families and pretending they support him. And it's only early June. He's going to be lucky to get half of Romney's numbers with African-Americans.

lol no

I despise Trump, but he is not going to do worse than Romney with black voters. Trump is a bad fit for black voters, but Romney was an awful one. I predict that Trump will get around 9% of the black vote (compared to Romney's 6%). Romney's 6% is Trump's floor with African-Americans.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2016, 12:00:31 PM »

lol no

I despise Trump, but he is not going to do worse than Romney with black voters. Trump is a bad fit for black voters, but Romney was an awful one. I predict that Trump will get around 9% of the black vote (compared to Romney's 6%). Romney's 6% is Trump's floor with African-Americans.

You are wrong! Trump is an excellent fit for black voters.
OkThen

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 0.35

« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2016, 12:04:27 PM »

Trump will fall somewhere between Romney and Bush '04 levels. Probably like 8-9%.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2016, 12:07:02 PM »

I'm sure, Big Don will break double digits.
Gabagool102
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2016, 12:41:28 PM »

It doesn't matter, African Americans are only 12.6 % of the US population. So he can win and get 0 % of the black vote and still win.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2016, 12:47:49 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2016, 03:21:40 PM by ag »

I think, after the last few posts we all can agree that we are getting to the point where a blue avatar is pretty much like a KKK hood: nobody can doubt its meaning Smiley
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2016, 12:48:46 PM »

>3%.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2016, 12:59:55 PM »

Again, Republicans generally do very poorly with black voters. This election pits a Democrat who is above-average popular among black voters (Clinton) against a Republican who is unusually unpopular among black voters.

Of course, there isn't much room to fall for a Republican in that electorate but yeah there is no reason to think Trump will do well. The absence of Obama on the ticket might help him a little compared to Romney though.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2016, 01:56:29 PM »

If the electorate doesn't care about it, there's no point to bringing it up. There are lots of free traders whom actually understand economics and how protectionism destroys jobs and raises prices. Trump will lose these people, and he won't get a single black vote.
hopper
United States

« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2016, 06:30:45 PM »

Trump might do terribly with Blacks voters, but there is no Republican who would have done better than him.
Well Kasich for one could have gotten 12-15% of the Black Vote.
hopper
United States

« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2016, 06:36:20 PM »

It doesn't matter, African Americans are only 12.6 % of the US population. So he can win and get 0 % of the black vote and still win.
No, Ohio and Virginia Romney lost because of the Black Vote in 2012. If Romney could have gotten 10% of the Black Vote in both states he could have carried them. Instead he got 6% of the Black Vote in VA and 4% in OH. In 2004 Bush W. won 15% of the Black Vote in Ohio and won 13% in Virginia.
hopper
United States

« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2016, 06:45:05 PM »

I predict Trump will win 8% of the Black Vote.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2016, 06:46:46 PM »

He does love the poorly educated, so I'll say 15%.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2016, 06:51:53 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2016, 08:01:14 PM by Spark498 »

11-12%
hopper
United States

« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2016, 06:53:30 PM »

So, I decided to go beyond all this excellent #analysis and look at some actual data.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/184547/clinton-favorability-strong-among-black-americans.aspx

Turns out Clinton is super popular in the AA community with an 80-12 approval rate while Trump is super unpopular with an approval rate of 20-68. And before someone says that's good for a Republican it was actually the largest negative margin of all Repbulican candidates and the absolute approval was similar to that of Bush, Christie, Huckabee, Paul, Santorum.

It has his approval rate as bad among blacks as among Hispanics, 81-15.

That Gallup poll is from a year ago. Don't you have a more recent poll?

hopper
United States

« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2016, 07:06:14 PM »

Not correct.   Blacks haven't figured that out yet.  If they did they would have already started to leave the Dem's already.

When Trump says " make America great again' and the dishonest digesting media shows nothing but old white men with long hillbilly beards in the crowd, to us blacks we see that as "make America white again". 

Well "Make America Great Again" is a slogan that is used to make America more economically prosperous. Its has nothing to do with race/ethnicity. With that said I wouldn't vote for Trump because of his rhetoric towards Mexican Men with the rapist comment.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2016, 10:26:20 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2016, 10:30:54 PM by Tartarus Sauce »

Seriously? Some of you guys are thinking 10%-20%+? You think Blacks are going to vote for the loudest proponent of the birther conspiracy and a man who was slow to disavow an endorsement from the KKK?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2016, 10:28:30 PM »

I'm giving him 5%. I feel like he blew any opportunity to surpass a previous Republican's performance with blacks with the whole KKK thing, something Clinton will remind voters of at every opportunity.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2016, 10:31:32 PM »

i think not well because vast majority of blacks have slave mentality, and love to vote for democrats - party of slavery.

I dare you to make this your signature.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2016, 10:32:43 PM »

5-10%
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »