Would you rather be in jail or be a slave?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 09:08:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Would you rather be in jail or be a slave?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Slave

Jail

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Would you rather be in jail or be a slave?  (Read 1636 times)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 30, 2005, 06:38:13 PM »

Per Gabu's reqeust
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 06:42:50 PM »

This has nothing to do with the question "Are jail sentences worse than slavery?"!</philip>
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 06:43:29 PM »

Huh... depends what type of slave and which jail.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 07:47:58 PM »

This has nothing to do with the question "Are jail sentences worse than slavery?"!</philip>

It doesn't, obviously. I would much rather be in jail, but that is exactly why slavery is the better punishment.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 08:17:19 PM »

Really, considering I've done nothing wrong, they are both a type of slavery - freedom is taken.

Now, as to which I'd choose, I can't say, as all slavery and all jails are not equal. In some cultures that used to have slaves, slaves were treated relatively well and could actually become part of the family and thus earn freedom, while in others slaves were and still are treated as disposible commodities, and variations in between.

Some cultures have their jails that are literal hellholes, and even completely non-violent criminals are treated to these - conman Frank Abagnale spent six months in the infamous French prison Perpignan, where he spent the whole time in a room with no lights, no bed(stone floor), no toilet or even a drain to get rid of his waste matter(and cleaning of his room wasn't something that happened often if ever). He got lucky since he only spent half of his year long sentence, and was transferred to a Swedish prison where he served a quite pleasant sentence.
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 05:20:14 PM »

In America, in 2005, I'd be in jail anyday over being a slave. Cable TV, daily outdoor recreational activity, and lack of physical labor are fine.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 06:24:21 PM »

Jail; same reasons as Hitchabrut.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 06:36:50 PM »

In America, in 2005, I'd be in jail anyday over being a slave. Cable TV, daily outdoor recreational activity, and lack of physical labor are fine.

Are you implying you wouldn't mind the daily round of anal rapes?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 06:34:28 AM »

As long as you're talking about a short stint in a country club prison, like a minimum security federal prison for white collar criminals, then you're right.

But if you're talking about a maximum security state prison, you'll end up as somebody's wife as sure as we're sitting here.  That shouldn't be too appealing to you.

My answer depends on the type of jail, the type of slavery, the length of the sentence, my age at the time, etc.  For example, if I were 70 years old and had to choose between a 10-year sentence in a rough prison or a benign form of slavery for life, I'd choose slavery.  But if I were 25 years old and had to choose between a short stint in a minimum security prison, and a life of hard labor as a slave, I'd choose the jail option.

I don't do too well with physical confinement, but I guess not too many people do.  I toured my town's police lockup, and I think I'd go nuts if I had to stay in those cells for more than an hour.  They're tiny, you can't walk around, there's nothing to do or look at; a few days in there even would be excrutiating, like HS detention to the umpteenth power, and it's hard to even imagine a period of years.  Of course, longer-term prison is structured differently, with daily exercise, etc., but that means I'd have to be among the prison population, which is no bargain.

I'd rather not have to choose those options.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 06:38:15 AM »

That only happens if you don't beat the sh**t out of someone else the first day. Wink
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 06:42:33 AM »

That only happens if you don't beat the sh**t out of someone else the first day. Wink

You've watched your prison movies...Smiley  I'm sure it's basically true.  But what if, like most of us, you can't beat the sh**t out a bunch of big guys at the same time?  Trying and getting humiliated may or may not be worse, but let's face it, any one of us would be the wife of a big guy named Bubba in a maximum security state prison.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 06:45:11 AM »

You've watched your prison movies...Smiley  I'm sure it's basically true.  But what if, like most of us, you can't beat the sh**t out a bunch of big guys at the same time?  Trying and getting humiliated may or may not be worse, but let's face it, any one of us would be the wife of a big guy named Bubba in a maximum security state prison.

Well, you don't have to beat the crap out of a bunch of people - just one should suffice. Also, fighting dirty would help - also you need to learn to make a shank out of a bar of soap(this is possible, my aunt works as a prison nurse, so I hear all sorts of stuff). And acting like you're mentally insane might help too. Smiley
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 06:53:20 AM »

Well, you don't have to beat the crap out of a bunch of people - just one should suffice. Also, fighting dirty would help - also you need to learn to make a shank out of a bar of soap(this is possible, my aunt works as a prison nurse, so I hear all sorts of stuff). And acting like you're mentally insane might help too. Smiley

Dude, you've got the whole thing down pretty well.  When do you test your theory?  I'd like to see whether it works in practice. Smiley  I'll try to hold onto my freedom.  I don't think I'd like prison food. Smiley
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2005, 09:53:08 AM »

Dude, you've got the whole thing down pretty well.  When do you test your theory?  I'd like to see whether it works in practice. Smiley  I'll try to hold onto my freedom.  I don't think I'd like prison food. Smiley

I don't intend to test it, but as the boyscouts say 'be prepared'. Smiley
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2005, 10:58:02 AM »

More stories please...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: