Will Justice Thomas end up the longest serving SC Justice of all time?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:33:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Will Justice Thomas end up the longest serving SC Justice of all time?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will Justice Thomas end up the longest serving SC Justice of all time?  (Read 2310 times)
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 24, 2016, 04:02:28 PM »

So looking forward for when the next SC appointments will happen, it looks after Scalia's replacement is appointed, we will probably be looking at 3 more appointments for sure occurring over the next 8 years at the very longest. Ginsburg is 82, Kennedy is 79, and Breyer is 77. Of course Roberts, Alito, Kagan and Sotomayor should be on the court for a long time. But what really surprised me was how young Thomas is. He is 67!

So here is the thing. As of today he has been on the court for 8,890 days. The longest ever term was 13,358 for William O. Douglas. The difference between the two is approximately 12.5 years. Thomas could very well be on the court until he is 80. So do you think one of the quietest justices of all time is going to end up the longest serving justice ever?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 05:04:14 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2016, 05:06:03 PM by Da-Jon »

Yes, he is very well qualified to serve  the longest, hopefully on a liberal Crt. O Douglas was on the Warren Crt, the most liberal of all time. Along with Brennan, Fortas, Warren and Marshall
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 09:46:55 PM »

Alito is only two years younger, so I think that when they retire, it will be in close time together.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 01:26:22 AM »

Alito is only two years younger, so I think that when they retire, it will be in close time together.

But Thomas has been there 14 years longer--that's what Illiniwek is meaning.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 01:34:07 AM »

Ugh I hope he resigns sooner than later.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 07:03:38 AM »

No matter how long he stays, he'll end up as the one with the least to say of all time.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 07:49:19 AM »

Ugh I hope he resigns sooner than later.

Agreed.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 09:26:39 AM »

Sadly, yes. I bet he serves another 20 years and doesn't say another word from the bench.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 02:21:29 PM »

We can hope.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 03:19:04 PM »

RBG gonna outlast them all.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 07:39:13 AM »

He is an obese black male: the actuaries do not look good in regards to his chances...even with world-class healthcare and a cushy lifestyle.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2016, 02:50:55 PM »

I think he resigns months into a Republican administration. I don't think he wants to stay any more than he has to without Scalia.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2016, 08:40:54 PM »

I think he resigns months into a Republican administration. I don't think he wants to stay any more than he has to without Scalia.

Why would Scalia's presence be a dealbreaker? Thomas has a very different judicial philosophy and temperament. From what I've heard they weren't especially close; while they're all apparently friends it was always Scalia and GINSBERG which was the really close relationship
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2016, 09:45:35 PM »

I'm so excited for the "Confirmation" movie.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2016, 10:31:18 PM »

At this point, he may very well pull a Souter and retire early under a similarly politically aligned President. However, that calculus may change if Hillary Clinton is elected this year and perhaps reelected in 2020. I think four more years of Democratic rule will cement a 5-4 liberal majority, and possibly even 6-3 if Justice Kennedy retires during the next term. Unless the latter is delayed until a potential Democratic President winning reelection in 2020, I would say there is the (albeit somewhat low) possibility of a 7-2 liberal majority by 2024.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2016, 02:28:09 AM »

Why would Scalia's presence be a dealbreaker? Thomas has a very different judicial philosophy and temperament. From what I've heard they weren't especially close; while they're all apparently friends it was always Scalia and GINSBERG which was the really close relationship

Yeah. I mean, Scalia and Thomas were close-ish but Thomas seems to have a much stronger relationship with the dreaded Breyer since they have almost always sat next to each other and pass notes and jokes during oral arguments. Thomas made it seem pretty clear in his acceptance speech that since the Democrats in Congress had "robbed [him] of [his] dignity" and conducted a "high-tech lynching" that he was going to stay on the Court forever to punish them. Scalia was Thomas' most consistent ally in dissents, but that doesn't necessarily mean Thomas would just up and leave. A lot of this misconception is promoted by the racist libs who perpetuate the stereotype that Thomas is lazy and stupid and needs a white man like Scalia to tell him how to think, even though they often fell on opposite sides on issues.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies