What if terrorists detonate a nuke in DC...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:20:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  What if terrorists detonate a nuke in DC...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: What if terrorists detonate a nuke in DC...  (Read 32916 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2005, 07:24:26 PM »

Yes, but we should prepare for the possibility.

Personally, that consists of praying to God for salvation.

The Lord helps those who help themselves.
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2005, 07:29:41 PM »

I believe most states allow their governor to temporarily fill vacant Senate seats. This would allow the Senate to be reconstituted in order to elect president pro tempore. Isn't this individual in the line of succession?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2005, 08:54:45 PM »

I believe most states allow their governor to temporarily fill vacant Senate seats. This would allow the Senate to be reconstituted in order to elect president pro tempore. Isn't this individual in the line of succession?

Yes, but after the Speaker.  One member could elect a Speaker.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2005, 10:42:20 PM »

Even if it wasn't in the line of succession, Congress could just make a law putting him in the line of succession, and he could act as president.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2005, 11:32:55 PM »

Even if it wasn't in the line of succession, Congress could just make a law putting him in the line of succession, and he could act as president.

You'd need both houses to pass the law; it would be delayed because no president could sign it.
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2005, 12:01:50 PM »

Yes, but after the Speaker.  One member could elect a Speaker.

True enough. I was simply thinking that the quickest way would be through the Senate if both Houses were completely wiped out.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2005, 12:03:50 PM »

You'd need both houses to pass the law; it would be delayed because no president could sign it.

If Congress is in session and the President does not sign a law for ten days, it becomes law without his signature.
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2005, 12:06:15 PM »

If Congress is in session and the President does not sign a law for ten days, it becomes law without his signature.

Actually, if the president doesn't sign, but doesn't veto, it is considered a "pocket veto."
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2005, 12:10:41 PM »

Actually, if the president doesn't sign, but doesn't veto, it is considered a "pocket veto."

Only if Congress is not in session.

Pocket Veto
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2005, 12:21:56 PM »

My mistake. You are correct.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2005, 05:38:27 PM »

The ten day delay is the problem.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2005, 05:42:49 PM »

It's obvious what would happen. Governors would appoint Senators. The Senate would choose a Pro Tem leader.  The Pro Tem leader would swear in as President.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2005, 05:43:55 PM »

The Congress should just make a law that says if the line of succession is exhausted, the House and Senate pick the president jointly.

I do not believe it is constitutional to put the Speaker or PPT in the line of succession.

That said, I am not convinced it would be constitutional to put governors in the line of succession either.
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2005, 07:17:10 PM »

It's obvious what would happen. Governors would appoint Senators. The Senate would choose a Pro Tem leader.  The Pro Tem leader would swear in as President.

Seems the quickest and most likely option to me, too.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2005, 08:31:56 PM »

Seems the quickest and most likely option to me, too.

You have to make an assumption that every member of the House has been killed.  There usually is someone out of town.
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2005, 06:44:37 PM »

True, but that was the scenario given.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2005, 06:39:02 PM »

I do not believe it is constitutional to put the Speaker or PPT in the line of succession.
Since it's in the 25th amendment, it is constitutional.

Though the governors appointing senators thing works, who would be around to enforce this?  Just a few governors step up and do it and others follow suit?
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2005, 12:02:57 PM »

In the past I heard that Governors already were sort of in line; if everyone in the federal government died, the Governors would succeed as President on the basis of the order they entered the Union, at least until they were able to swear in the Senators they appointed.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2005, 12:55:04 PM »

In the past I heard that Governors already were sort of in line; if everyone in the federal government died, the Governors would succeed as President on the basis of the order they entered the Union, at least until they were able to swear in the Senators they appointed.

I have heard that, but it isn't correct from everything I've read.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2005, 11:07:52 PM »

Given that the situation that would bring this about is almost certainly a military one, it seems more prudent to have the line of succession run through the military than through Governors.  Begin with the JCS Chair, then Vice Chair, then the Service Chiefs, then the Theater Commanders in the order in which those positions were established.

If there is an insistence on Governors, choosing the Governor of the larggest state seems arbitrary to me.  After Schwarzenegger, Rick Perry is next in line.  Is that the best we can do?
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2005, 11:11:46 PM »

The Congress should just make a law that says if the line of succession is exhausted, the House and Senate pick the president jointly.

That said, I am not convinced it would be constitutional to put governors in the line of succession either.

Is it constituational to have cabinet members in the line of succession since the Constitution says nothing about their existence?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2005, 12:36:08 AM »

Given that the situation that would bring this about is almost certainly a military one, it seems more prudent to have the line of succession run through the military than through Governors.  Begin with the JCS Chair, then Vice Chair, then the Service Chiefs, then the Theater Commanders in the order in which those positions were established.

That would be a very very very dangerous idea.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2005, 12:51:31 AM »

It seems to me that the situation is already a disaster no matter who takes over.  I'd at least like experts to be in charge.  Why exactly is it a bad idea?  We elect Generals to the Presidency all the time.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2005, 08:34:11 AM »

It seems to me that the situation is already a disaster no matter who takes over.  I'd at least like experts to be in charge.  Why exactly is it a bad idea?  We elect Generals to the Presidency all the time.

We have elected exactly one ex-general in the last 100 years; that is hardly "all the time." 
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2005, 11:03:27 AM »

We have elected many men on the basis of their military experience in the last 100 years, and before your selectively chosen time period, we elected many Generals too.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies