How does the GOP win young voters once baby boomers and gen-x are gone? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:32:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How does the GOP win young voters once baby boomers and gen-x are gone? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How does the GOP win young voters once baby boomers and gen-x are gone?  (Read 3081 times)
indietraveler

« on: March 18, 2016, 09:38:32 PM »

1. They have to at least be more centrist on social issues. A significant amount of young republicans support gay marriage. This seems to be the big one, but I think becoming more pot friendly and less world police-like will help as well.

2. At least try to appeal to minorities? This has to be a no brainer. With the population becoming more diverse, the GOP won't be winning much if it's not open to others.

Overall, they will need to become more moderate. If the dems keep going to the left and if the GOP goes more towards the middle they could present themselves as the party of reason.

While interesting to talk about, I always thought the generation groups expand too many years to really get a good general sense of how a generation votes. Young millennials grew up in a completely different setting from older members of the group. Personally, I consider Clinton my childhood years, Bush my teen years (9/11 shaped my outlook on so many things that younger kids didn't experience because they were too young) and Obama my young adult years.

indietraveler

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 11:13:25 AM »

1. They have to at least be more centrist on social issues. A significant amount of young republicans support gay marriage. This seems to be the big one, but I think becoming more pot friendly and less world police-like will help as well.

2. At least try to appeal to minorities? This has to be a no brainer. With the population becoming more diverse, the GOP won't be winning much if it's not open to others.

Overall, they will need to become more moderate. If the dems keep going to the left and if the GOP goes more towards the middle they could present themselves as the party of reason.

While interesting to talk about, I always thought the generation groups expand too many years to really get a good general sense of how a generation votes. Young millennials grew up in a completely different setting from older members of the group. Personally, I consider Clinton my childhood years, Bush my teen years (9/11 shaped my outlook on so many things that younger kids didn't experience because they were too young) and Obama my young adult years.

indietraveler, do you think Trump is helping or hurting the image of the GOP in your age group? Or is it hard to say?

Hurting right now, but it's still hard to say long term. If Trump loses the nomination or the GE and he becomes an after thought and the GOP goes back to how it was, I think things go back to being somewhat normal.

If Trump has a lasting impact, win or lose, and some of his rhetoric remains within the GOP, I think the GOP will have a hard time reaching the White House anytime soon.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies