Who is Trump's best historic/current parallel?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:34:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who is Trump's best historic/current parallel?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Who is Trump's best historic/current parallel?  (Read 2718 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2016, 01:42:45 AM »

Teddy Roosevelt larger then life persona, Nixon shrewdness
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2016, 01:44:47 AM »

A high energy, extremely wealthy New Yorker with no particular ideological convictions other than Making America Great Again? Yep.

I think that TR is a better analogy given that TR combined economic populism with blatant nativism.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2016, 01:48:54 AM »

The perfect analogy.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2016, 01:58:54 AM »

I too thought Andrew Jackson.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2016, 06:45:38 AM »

A mixture of Jackson, Reagan and Perot.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2016, 06:48:43 AM »

Nixon
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2016, 12:44:49 AM »
« Edited: February 29, 2016, 12:55:37 AM by CrabCakes »

Wait no I've got it: a hybrid between the candidates of the 2013 Australian election Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and leader of the Liberals Tony Abbott.

I'll start with Abbott. Although I've seen Abbott worshipped around here by the American conservative movement, they are wrong to. TAbbott was never a doctrinaire economic conservative (he once commented that economics was boring). His campaign was feverishly opposed ny the ilk of the Economist and had higher costs in its promises (like his beloved Paid Parenthood scheme, designed ti increase the fertility, as such right-wingers are obsessed with birth rates).

What Abbott is, however, is a nationalist. Yes, right-Australian nationalism uses different tropes to the American version (namely worship of the motherland and an aversion to the cultural cringe all Aussie middle-class liberals exhibit in polite company), but it's the same thing. Trump and Abbott both simplified (some might say stupidified, but of course I'm coming from the sneering perspective they rail against) politics to a series of pithy, punchy phrases. Stop the boats. Build the wall.  

Abbott's fraught relationship with northern neighbour Indonesia, his tough guy promise to "shirtfront" Putin, his nigh on crusade outlook on the MENA  is a perfect picture of how right-wingers of their ilk (Abbott's simplistic but not unfair descripton of "baddies vs baddies" vis a vis Syria links with Trump's rejection of the Washington foreign policy synthesis) view the world: countries are bullies, and to survive you have to be the meanest and toughest of the bullies.

Compare with that their talent on winning elections (although whether Trump is a better manager than Abbott was not is yet to be seen), the sort of off the whim management style,, the creepy relationships with their daughters etc.

And Rudd? Well, he, like Trump, is a massive egotistical prick who the party hated but the grassroots loved.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2016, 12:51:00 AM »

Australian liberals also laughed off Abbott's chances until he finally won.
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2016, 12:58:13 AM »

Didn't Abbott get in a lot of sh**t for proposing an austerity-heavy budget? I remember something like that.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2016, 12:59:42 AM »

If it's Trump vs. Hillary, I think William Jennings Bryan vs. William McKinley is a perfect comparison for the general election.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2016, 01:03:41 AM »

Goldwater.

Not because of policies, character, or coalition.

Rather,  his inevitable crushing loss, will point out how doomed is that electoral strategy (in Trumps case the inane belief the GOP can still win by driving the white blue collar vote). And thus, the forerunner of a  new Tricky Dick who will push for, well, the inverse of the southern strategy.

This is right.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2016, 01:04:23 AM »

As I said, Abbott has no interest in economics beyond cutting taxes he sees as unfair. His budget, which was really inexplicably bad (even with the fall in mining at the time), came from his Treasurer who was an incompteent. Even so, ABbott pushed for a temporary income tax called something like the patriotism tax which really shows the difference national conservatism and the economic liberalism that is now conservative ideology.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2016, 01:07:35 AM »

Goldwater.

Not because of policies, character, or coalition.

Rather,  his inevitable crushing loss, will point out how doomed is that electoral strategy (in Trumps case the inane belief the GOP can still win by driving the white blue collar vote). And thus, the forerunner of a  new Tricky Dick who will push for, well, the inverse of the southern strategy.

I can agree with this, but also if you include how the landslide-losing ideology was ushered in in another massive landslide anyway just four cycles later.  That's feasibly the direction I see this country going.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2016, 01:16:05 AM »

Besides some of the people mentioned, Trump reminds me of Juan (and Eva) Peron of Argentina. Like Trump's, the Peron followers praised their efforts to help "common people", while their opponents considered them demagogues and dictators.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2016, 01:20:23 AM »

All I know is that it is impossible to really describe his ideology.  Trumpian might have to become the term to use.
rob in cal
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2016, 01:37:33 AM »

I like the Berlusconi comparison.  They both had sports teams also.  Berlusconi had a broad center to the right electoral alliance, and Trump seems to be trying to assemble this as well.  Who else is there who could claim to be the most pro-Israel candidate running in a national debate and then a few days later only half-heartedly reject David Duke?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2016, 03:31:17 AM »
« Edited: February 29, 2016, 03:35:16 AM by MohamedChalid »

He's 2/3rds William Jennings Bryan and 1/3rd Wendell Willkie.

LOL. Willkie and Trump have nothing in common other than they never held public office. Willkie was a pro-business high intellect liberal who was decades ahead of his time as far as social issues are concerened. In terms of race equality he was even more progressive than FDR. And after he lost, he was very loyal to the president during the war years. Willkie would have been a great president; the Trumpster would make a terrible one.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2016, 03:40:45 AM »

Berlusco.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2016, 06:45:41 AM »

The Mouth of Sauron

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2016, 06:51:37 PM »

Discuss: Michael Heseltine
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2016, 06:54:39 PM »

William Randolph Hearst never ran for president, but he has a lot of parallels with Trump. A populist billionaire heir reviled by the establishment.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2016, 06:57:58 PM »

William Randolph Hearst never ran for president, but he has a lot of parallels with Trump. A populist billionaire heir reviled by the establishment.

So basically Citizen Kane.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2016, 07:05:24 PM »

So basically Citizen Kane.

That is Trump's favorite movie, yes.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2016, 08:13:42 PM »

He's 2/3rds William Jennings Bryan and 1/3rd Wendell Willkie.

LOL. Willkie and Trump have nothing in common other than they never held public office. Willkie was a pro-business high intellect liberal who was decades ahead of his time as far as social issues are concerened. In terms of race equality he was even more progressive than FDR. And after he lost, he was very loyal to the president during the war years. Willkie would have been a great president; the Trumpster would make a terrible one.

So, he was a Republican who supported civil rights (which you have chosen to characterize as a liberal view)?  So, like, he wasn't a liberal?  Got it.

I also think it's kind of funny to suggest Trump has low intellect; he's literally playing millions of people right now.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2016, 08:57:41 PM »

Jim Jones.

Trump is a con artist. He said on the Anderson Cooper interview on CNN that he never said to kill the family members of ISIL but go after them.

Donald, you said on Fox, 'You have to take out their families.'

It's no wonder you love the poorly educated. They don't do their homework and have a selective memory.

We know better, Drumpf. I can see your crap from thousands of miles away.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies