Regressive taxes/sin taxes and progressive paternalism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:00:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Regressive taxes/sin taxes and progressive paternalism
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Regressive taxes/sin taxes and progressive paternalism  (Read 474 times)
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 26, 2016, 01:50:52 AM »

Are something that's always annoyed me. I can't stand it when they raise taxes on cigarettes or tie gambling revenue to education. It's paternalist as hell and just creates something for conservatives to brow beat progressives with when in reality it's about as faux-progressive as you can get. Really everything should be funded through taxing the rich.

I also just have a libertarian stripe on personal freedom issues and oppose restrictions on smoking except for in areas where second hand smoke directly effects others. I understand that it's a somewhat contradictory position since I also favor single payer health care but i'm also not a fiscal conservative and am fine with tolerating some waste in the system.

Discuss
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 07:04:58 AM »

Taxes a good, and can be used for every purpose including desired behaviour, and for health reasons.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 07:28:10 AM »

Taxes a good, and can be used for every purpose including desired behaviour, and for health reasons.
Then shouldn't smokers be due some extra medical financial help?  If the tax was for health reasons, then cig taxes should go into some sort of fund to help pay for smoking related health issues.  Does it?  Or it "it's for health reasons" just something upper class non-smokers say to make them feel better about taking money from poor people?
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 09:20:18 AM »

I don't mind sin taxes. They're the only kind of taxes that I'm perfectly okay with raising.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 10:26:58 AM »

Then shouldn't smokers be due some extra medical financial help?  If the tax was for health reasons, then cig taxes should go into some sort of fund to help pay for smoking related health issues.  Does it?  Or it "it's for health reasons" just something upper class non-smokers say to make them feel better about taking money from poor people?

Well it should, but if it does or does not is a different thing.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 02:12:35 PM »

I can't stand it when they raise taxes on cigarettes or tie gambling revenue to education.

Tie cigarette tax revenue to medicine.  Gambling revenue to education.  Auto and fuel taxes to road and bridge expenses.  If you're smoking, you a more expensive fix.  If you're gambling, you remind us of the need to understand probability theory, and if you're putting potholes in the road, then you chip in on their repair.  Makes sense to me. 

Of course, those alone won't fund schools, hospitals, and highways.  Sure, we also need to collect money from other sources, at least if we want nice things.

Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 05:40:59 PM »

I can't stand it when they raise taxes on cigarettes or tie gambling revenue to education.

Tie cigarette tax revenue to medicine.  Gambling revenue to education.  Auto and fuel taxes to road and bridge expenses.  If you're smoking, you a more expensive fix.  If you're gambling, you remind us of the need to understand probability theory, and if you're putting potholes in the road, then you chip in on their repair.  Makes sense to me. 

Of course, those alone won't fund schools, hospitals, and highways.  Sure, we also need to collect money from other sources, at least if we want nice things.

I think what Zen means is that, like state lotterys (-ies?), state legislators estimate how much money will go to education from these taxes and then cut that amount from regular appropriations, thus education doesn't get much of a boost; if the revenues come in under projections, then education funding suffered.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies