Could West Virginia be Trump's best state against Hillary?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:31:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Could West Virginia be Trump's best state against Hillary?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Could West Virginia be Trump's best state against Hillary?  (Read 4364 times)
RR1997
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 26, 2016, 09:00:01 AM »

Just for reference, here were Romney's top 5 states:
1. Utah
2. Wyoming
3. Oklahoma
4. Idaho
5. West Virginia

West Virginia was Romney's 5th best state. Could it be Trump's best state?

You guys have to remember that Bain Capital (Romney's company) was a pioneer in outsourcing/offshoring jobs. Romney was responsible for outsourcing a lot of jobs. He was also anti-protectionist. West Virginia is a staunchly protectionist state. WV has been hurt by globalization more than any other state. Trump is the perfect candidate for the coal country. WV is the epitome of a right-wing populist state.

As we all know, Mormons hate Trump with a huge passion. Utah is going to heavily swing towards Hillary. Idaho also has a lot of Mormoms, so Hillary might do quite a bit better in this state. Trump has been underperforming in the west, so Wyoming might slightly swing towards Hillary. Not to mention that Wyoming has a decent Mormon population.

West Virginia might be one of the few states where Trump could actually do better than Romney in.

I think it's possible that WV is going to be Trump's best state. What do you guys think?
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 09:03:06 AM »

Possibly that or OK.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 10:09:46 AM »

I'm geographically pretty close, and I have a hard time seeing West Virginia as Trump's best state. I know he has to have a best state somewhere, but that's not it.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 10:55:33 AM »

Well, WV is dumb and desperate so they seem to good bet to be top. 

That kid down in Florida, the one they called "Blaxican" for awhile (for reasons I know not), said he was supporting Trump cuz he just wants the whole thing blown up.  His family came from WV.  That seems like a typical mindset in WV these days.  If we're gonna go down, try to take the whole thing down.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 10:59:15 AM »
« Edited: February 26, 2016, 11:02:18 AM by mathstatman »

Just for reference, here were Romney's top 5 states:
1. Utah
2. Wyoming
3. Oklahoma
4. Idaho
5. West Virginia

West Virginia was Romney's 5th best state. Could it be Trump's best state?

You guys have to remember that Bain Capital (Romney's company) was a pioneer in outsourcing/offshoring jobs. Romney was responsible for outsourcing a lot of jobs. He was also anti-protectionist. West Virginia is a staunchly protectionist state. WV has been hurt by globalization more than any other state. Trump is the perfect candidate for the coal country. WV is the epitome of a right-wing populist state.

As we all know, Mormons hate Trump with a huge passion. Utah is going to heavily swing towards Hillary. Idaho also has a lot of Mormoms, so Hillary might do quite a bit better in this state. Trump has been underperforming in the west, so Wyoming might slightly swing towards Hillary. Not to mention that Wyoming has a decent Mormon population.

West Virginia might be one of the few states where Trump could actually do better than Romney in.

I think it's possible that WV is going to be Trump's best state. What do you guys think?

All 5 of these states will probably finish in the 60s for Trump. It is certainly conceivable that WV could be Number One.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 11:01:59 AM »

West Virginia needs something like a Louisville to set it straight.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 11:04:05 AM »

West Virginia needs something like a Louisville to set it straight.
Yeah, but the state capitol dome in Charleston is beautiful as seen from I-77, just saying.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 11:04:36 AM »

Remember when West Virginia and Arkansas were going to be competitive for Clinton?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 11:23:33 AM »

I'm geographically pretty close, and I have a hard time seeing West Virginia as Trump's best state. I know he has to have a best state somewhere, but that's not it.

While rhetoric in Kentucky always bleets about coal in reality it's not anywhere as vital to the state's functioning as it is to WV.  Yes, there are about 20 counties in the East part of the state that are dying because of coal, but they don't make up much of the state's population.  The triangle from NKY to Louisville to Lexington is the core of the state population wise and economic wise and it has little to no involvement in coal.  The WKY coal counties while not thriving actually have about the same number of miners now as when Obama was elected.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 11:28:06 AM »

While rhetoric in Kentucky always bleets about coal in reality it's not anywhere as vital to the state's functioning as it is to WV.  Yes, there are about 20 counties in the East part of the state that are dying because of coal, but they don't make up much of the state's population.  The triangle from NKY to Louisville to Lexington is the core of the state population wise and economic wise and it has little to no involvement in coal.  The WKY coal counties while not thriving actually have about the same number of miners now as when Obama was elected.

Problem with Kentucky is that its remaining coal mines are nonunion. Kentucky has no remaining unionized coal mines. Zero. None.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 11:29:13 AM »

You are also forgetting the western coal mine region in the state and there are some major cities in that area (Bowling Green, Owensboro, etc)

Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 11:45:18 AM »

You are also forgetting the western coal mine region in the state and there are some major cities in that area (Bowling Green, Owensboro, etc)

The central cities vote like central cities elsewhere though, especially Bowling Green since it's a college town. (The suburbs sadly are a different story.)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 11:45:34 AM »
« Edited: February 26, 2016, 11:47:17 AM by The Unbearable Invicibility of Hillary Clinton »

I didn't forget them, that's what my last sentence referred to.  In 2008, WKY averaged 3,357 miners.  In the 4Q of 2015 they had 3,324.  Actually produced more coal in 2015 than 2008 (darn technology).  By comparison EKY went from 14,381 miners in 2008 to 5,077 in 4Q of 2015.

BTW, Kentucky does a very impressive job of tracking everything about the coal industry

http://energy.ky.gov/Pages/CoalFacts.aspx

There is a big difference between coal counties listed on that map and counties that actually still produce coal.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2016, 11:52:02 AM »

Problem with Kentucky is that its remaining coal mines are nonunion. Kentucky has no remaining unionized coal mines. Zero. None.

While I'm not a right-to-worker, I don't see unionization being of much help, especially in the East.  They're just going after scraps out there.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2016, 12:19:35 PM »

Probably Wyoming.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2016, 12:27:51 PM »

It could be, sure. I'd probably bet on Wyoming, though.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2016, 12:32:15 PM »

Wyoming is actually the state that nowadays has the most coal-mining-intensive economy, just as a bit of trivia.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2016, 01:02:00 PM »

It's still quite amazing how in just a couple of cycles West Virginia went from a Democratic stronghold into one of the GOP's best states.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2016, 01:07:24 PM »

i'm going with wyoming
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2016, 01:16:34 PM »

It's still quite amazing how in just a couple of cycles West Virginia went from a Democratic stronghold into one of the GOP's best states.

It is, and one of a few places where I actually cheer their downfall. I'm still puzzled as to exactly what Democrats have done to improve that state, either at the state or federal level. They had chances and if they actually cared, it should have been one of the first things to be addressed in 2006 - 2010 in Congress.

However, not to say I think Republicans will be better. I think they'll ultimately be even worse given their unwavering commitment to (some) failed economic policies. Democrats need to kiss ass and earn their power back at this point.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2016, 10:45:09 PM »

Utah, Wyoming, and Idaho all seem like states where there could potentially be a third-party conservative candidate who would take maybe 5% of the vote if Trump is the nominee, maybe more if the candidate were actually well-known. If that happens, then I could absolutely see West Virginia becoming Trump's best state.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2016, 10:47:13 PM »

I'll go with Oklahoma
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2016, 10:51:39 PM »

At the very least, this is a strong possibility.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2016, 11:10:37 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if WV votes 70% for Trump
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2016, 12:27:48 AM »

Utah has been the Republicans’ best state, percentage margins wise, in nine of the last ten elections.

I would stick with guessing that it will be No. 1 once again in 2016.

I actually expect Utah and Idaho to gradually shift towards Dems. While Romney did awesome in 2012, these states are actually trending ever-so-slightly towards the Dems, as the tech industries in Salt Lake and Boise continue to grow. Boise and SLC also have burgeoning gay and minority communities,.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies