The LGBT vote in Dem primary?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:10:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The LGBT vote in Dem primary?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The LGBT vote in Dem primary?  (Read 3710 times)
James Monroe

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 26, 2016, 10:59:23 AM »

So far I haven't so any data conducted on the gay vote, given that  the media wantsn everything to be defined by gender, race, and educational background. Hillary has reputation of being a gay icon despite being against SSM while Bernie was one of the few who supported the idea early in the 2000s. Don't the gay community usually tend to be pro-establishment and though express support for Hillary as continuing the Obama legacy, while Bernie and his bros seeking to dismantle his achievements.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 11:03:32 AM »

In my zone, anecdotally, older and richer gays, and Jewish gays, tend to be for Hillary. Everybody else is for Bernie.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 11:06:32 AM »

I'd say Sanders performs somewhat better among the LGBT community than Clinton, but not by a lot. Same gradients as in the overall population, older and wealthier LGBT going for Clinton, and more gay men voting Sanders than lesbians.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 11:33:48 AM »

Gays are typically more affluent, so I'm guessing they are voting for Clinton. And Sanders publicly opposed gay marriage until 2009.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 11:41:48 AM »

My husband is the only gay man I know personally supporting Sanders.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 11:52:17 AM »

Of the gay friends whose primary support I know off the top of my head, it's 6-1 in favor of Sanders. Then again, that's probably pretty close to the ratio among all my friends, so my sample may be a bit skewed.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 11:52:54 AM »
« Edited: February 26, 2016, 11:54:28 AM by Clarko95 »

From my experiences, the age gap is the biggest predictor of Hillary or Sanders support, and this applies to LGBT people as well. Although, younger LGBTs are probably somewhat more pro-Hillary.

Again, that's entirely anecdotal.

No.

The sanitized Modern Family image of gays being a cosmopolitan, upper-middle class, well-moisturized white couple with adopted/surrogated kids living in a trendy, integrated urban neighborhood is a media fiction.

Inequality is probably worse among that gay community than the country as a whole. Homosexuality happens regardless of class, upbringing, race, location, or political views. Considering that more than 1/3 of all the homeless youth in this country are homeless because they were kicked out/ran away for being LGBT, discrimination is still rampant and there are few workplace protections, and the high rates of poverty among minorities, there is evidence that poverty among LGBT people is as high as 20% - 25%.

Plus, the high rates of homophobia in minority communities prevents many minority gays from coming out, and if they do, they are at higher risk of being kicked out as youth and ending up in poverty. Following poverty and gender patterns, lesbians have a higher rate of poverty than gay men, and transgender people have the highest, while bisexuals have the lowest.

Gay men tend to have a thing for strong independent women, think Beyonce.

Roll Eyes And you wonder why people dislike the Republican Party
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 12:01:50 PM »

Literally the only people I know who actually like Clinton are gay and trans people who like her as some kitsch figure.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 12:02:23 PM »

From my experiences, the age gap is the biggest predictor of Hillary or Sanders support, and this applies to LGBT people as well. Although, younger LGBTs are probably somewhat more pro-Hillary.

No.

The sanitized Modern Family image of gays being a cosmopolitan, upper-middle class, well-moisturized white couple with adopted/surrogated kids living in a trendy, integrated urban neighborhood is a media fiction.

Inequality is probably worse among that gay community than the country as a whole. Homosexuality happens regardless of class, upbringing, race, location, or political views. Considering that more than 1/3 of all the homeless youth in this country are homeless because they were kicked out/ran away for being LGBT, discrimination is still rampant and there are few workplace protections, and the high rates of poverty among minorities, there is evidence that poverty among LGBT people is as high as 20% - 25%.

Plus, the high rates of homophobia in minority communities prevents many minority gays from coming out, and if they do, they are at higher risk of being kicked out as youth and ending up in poverty. Following poverty and gender patterns, lesbians have a higher rate of poverty than gay men, and transgender people have the highest, while bisexuals have the lowest.

Huh?  I speak from personal experience, and that was a compliment not an insult.  Im rolling my eyes at you.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 12:03:34 PM »

No.

Freedom post!
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 12:09:08 PM »

My husband has moved from Sanders to Clinton.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 12:11:48 PM »

My husband has moved from Sanders to Clinton.

Why? If you don't mind me asking.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 12:24:26 PM »

And Sanders publicly opposed gay marriage until 2009.

What the f**k does this matter? Hillary didn't support it until 2013 - which was hilariously late even by Democratic Party standards - actively ran against the idea when she was campaigning for Senate, and supported DOMA (which Bernie voted against), regardless of whatever historical revisionist nonsense she gives as her logic pretzel now that it was actually a trick to support gay rights all along because she's super duper really our champion, you guys.

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons the LGBT community and activist groups can pull out of their ass for why they support Hillary now, but it certainly isn't for any substantive reason about when we needed her at the time. It's all some garbage emotional reasoning for how we're supposed to identify with her because of sexism and other superficial crap.

Or I guess if you just view her as more electable, which, hey, fine.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2016, 12:26:19 PM »

I also anecdotally have seen the younger LGBT population is more in favor of Hillary than the younger population more generally.
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2016, 12:27:22 PM »

Most of my gay friends are voting for Clinton because "Bernie who?".
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2016, 12:27:44 PM »

Huh?  I speak from personal experience, and that was a compliment not an insult.  Im rolling my eyes at you.

Your reliance on stereotypes needs to die.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2016, 12:28:19 PM »

I feel bad for Bernie, I really do. The poor guy gets the shaft from most of the Democratic Party in favor of someone who's really a moderate Republican that adopts popular party positions when they become politically beneficial. I firmly believe he'd do far more for LGBT and African Americans than Hillary ever would, but he's not even being looked at.

I'll always have a place in my heart for that man.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2016, 12:33:24 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2016, 12:35:12 PM by Figueira »

Are openly LGBT people typically younger? If so, I would think that would cause them to skew towards Sanders.

On the other hand, they're also more likely to be non-white, which would skew them towards Clinton.

Edit: I just realized that the second part would be negated by the fact that the Democratic LGBT electorate would be mostly white.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2016, 12:38:56 PM »

As has already been expressed, on an anecdotal level, my friends who are gay support Sanders overwhelmingly.

But my Democratic friends as a whole support Sanders overwhelmingly, so its a bit skewed.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2016, 12:39:08 PM »

I feel bad for Bernie, I really do. The poor guy gets the shaft from most of the Democratic Party in favor of someone who's really a moderate Republican that adopts popular party positions when they become politically beneficial. I firmly believe he'd do far more for LGBT and African Americans than Hillary ever would, but he's not even being looked at.

As Secretary of State, Clinton helped create the Global Equality Fund, and gave one of the most comprehensive speeches on LGBT equality abroad that a US diplomat has ever given. She was the first ever First Lady to march in a gay pride parade. She consistently brings up LGBT issues at debates and rallies when not prompted. She's done more for the LGBT community than Sanders has and ever will.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2016, 12:40:02 PM »

Most of my LGBT friends support Sanders.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2016, 12:42:21 PM »

Another thing to keep in mind is that, somewhat analogous to the black vote, the main reason why LGBT people are overwhelmingly Democratic is because of their position on LGBT rights, so there might be a lot of LGBT people who are moderate or conservative on other issues, but still vote in the Democratic primary. Theoretically that would mean that they support Clinton, but Sanders does have some crossover appeal.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2016, 12:43:30 PM »

As Secretary of State, Clinton helped create the Global Equality Fund, and gave one of the most comprehensive speeches on LGBT equality abroad that a US diplomat has ever given. She was the first ever First Lady to march in a gay pride parade. She consistently brings up LGBT issues at debates and rallies when not prompted. She's done more for the LGBT community than Sanders has and ever will.

Convenient, I suppose, that she did all this when she was no longer an elected politician.
skoods
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2016, 12:45:46 PM »

No.

What? All 6 gay people you know? All the republicans I know think gays should be treated for their condition and that we should invade the entirety of the Middle East. I guess that must be the norm for all republicans then.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2016, 12:49:46 PM »

Hillary Clinton marches in a gay pride parade = omg she's done so much

Bernie Sanders gets arrested at civil rights rally = so what? that doesn't mean he cares about black people!
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies