The LGBT vote in Dem primary?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:25:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The LGBT vote in Dem primary?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: The LGBT vote in Dem primary?  (Read 3706 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2016, 12:53:46 PM »

^ Um excuse me, she also gave speeches.

Years after the fact that equality was clearly a foregone conclusion and most of the debate was pretty much over. Now she gets to be the Lady Gaga of politics or something.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2016, 12:59:30 PM »

^ Um excuse me, she also gave speeches.

Years after the fact that equality was clearly a foregone conclusion and most of the debate was pretty much over. Now she gets to be the Lady Gaga of politics or something.

Come on Marokai, I know you're not stupid, so stop making stupid posts. It was a speech given to international leaders and diplomats, and as far as I know, there are many countries and territories around the world where the debate is not "pretty much over". You know that, right?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2016, 01:07:26 PM »

It's not like I don't recognize Hillary has done good for gays. I appreciate the work she has done and the efforts she has made to spread awareness. What hits a nerve with me is just people acting like she's this gay icon, this champion for us that always had our back. She's this badass bitch who don't need no man and we're gonna go out there and be bottoms for Hillary. It's just so phony to me. She's flipped on this topic numerous times, and took longer than most Democrats to get on this page. When it comes to these issues, Hillary is always looking out for Hillary first.

This is exacerbated for me by the Clinton campaign also trying to make Sanders out to be a person that doesn't care about the issues that affect black people, something he also has more on his side for than Hillary does, particularly after her race-bating in 2008. Hillary always comes to these parties late and people act like we're supposed to let her take the spotlight. She deserves pretty minimal credit. She's good on these positions (now, at least) but I take huge issue with people trying to make her a "champion" for gay rights. She's not. She's just not.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2016, 01:07:39 PM »

Who cares? Both Clinton and Sanders are racists and homophobes. Only TRUMP truly fights for gay rights.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2016, 01:21:48 PM »

It's not like I don't recognize Hillary has done good for gays. I appreciate the work she has done and the efforts she has made to spread awareness. What hits a nerve with me is just people acting like she's this gay icon, this champion for us that always had our back. She's this badass bitch who don't need no man and we're gonna go out there and be bottoms for Hillary. It's just so phony to me. She's flipped on this topic numerous times, and took longer than most Democrats to get on this page. When it comes to these issues, Hillary is always looking out for Hillary first.

This is exacerbated for me by the Clinton campaign also trying to make Sanders out to be a person that doesn't care about the issues that affect black people, something he also has more on his side for than Hillary does, particularly after her race-bating in 2008. Hillary always comes to these parties late and people act like we're supposed to let her take the spotlight. She deserves pretty minimal credit. She's good on these positions (now, at least) but I take huge issue with people trying to make her a "champion" for gay rights. She's not. She's just not.

Clinton, simply put, is not a leader. She will only take a position after it already has majority support and she's sure it won't hurt her. That's why her attacks on Bernie Sanders over universal healthcare are so ridiculous. She's actually attacking him, in a presidential race, for being too much of a leader. Bernie wants to set the agenda on issues. Hillary just wants to piggyback on them after everyone else is already on board.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2016, 02:09:19 PM »

My friends are all over the board and are siding with Sanders or Clinton for reasons having nothing to do with gay issues. Either you want a revolution and to shake things up or you think Clinton is competent and the best leader. My closest friends are all supporting Clinton or not provoking me by saying otherwise.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2016, 02:41:29 PM »

All of my LGBT friends support Sanders; even the Republican leaning ones support Sanders over all the Republicans. Note: they are all white and under 20 so its one of Sanders strongest demographics to begin with.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2016, 02:46:27 PM »

Gay men tend to have a thing for strong independent women, think Beyonce.

I thought they were into Kylie Minogue.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2016, 03:06:18 PM »

Another thing to keep in mind is that, somewhat analogous to the black vote, the main reason why LGBT people are overwhelmingly Democratic is because of their position on LGBT rights, so there might be a lot of LGBT people who are moderate or conservative on other issues, but still vote in the Democratic primary. Theoretically that would mean that they support Clinton, but Sanders does have some crossover appeal.
This is a very good point (and this might also be true for the Jewish vote, btw, as nonsensical as that is).
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2016, 03:10:33 PM »

This is a very good point (and this might also be true for the Jewish vote, btw, as nonsensical as that is).

It's true of minorities of pretty much all stripes in America.  Minorities are bloc voters, but not necessarily bloc thinkers.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2016, 03:26:44 PM »

50/50, maybe a very slight Sanders edge.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2016, 04:12:54 PM »

And Sanders publicly opposed gay marriage until 2009.

What the f**k does this matter? Hillary didn't support it until 2013 - which was hilariously late even by Democratic Party standards - actively ran against the idea when she was campaigning for Senate, and supported DOMA (which Bernie voted against), regardless of whatever historical revisionist nonsense she gives as her logic pretzel now that it was actually a trick to support gay rights all along because she's super duper really our champion, you guys.

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons the LGBT community and activist groups can pull out of their ass for why they support Hillary now, but it certainly isn't for any substantive reason about when we needed her at the time. It's all some garbage emotional reasoning for how we're supposed to identify with her because of sexism and other superficial crap.

Or I guess if you just view her as more electable, which, hey, fine.

Yeah. Clinton is a typical politician, will "support" just about anything, and is quick to claim sexism when dealing with any criticism. It will be very interesting to see how Trump handles her.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2016, 04:27:23 PM »

What the f**k does this matter? Hillary didn't support it until 2013 - which was hilariously late even by Democratic Party standards - actively ran against the idea when she was campaigning for Senate, and supported DOMA (which Bernie voted against), regardless of whatever historical revisionist nonsense she gives as her logic pretzel now that it was actually a trick to support gay rights all along because she's super duper really our champion, you guys.

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons the LGBT community and activist groups can pull out of their ass for why they support Hillary now, but it certainly isn't for any substantive reason about when we needed her at the time. It's all some garbage emotional reasoning for how we're supposed to identify with her because of sexism and other superficial crap.

Nice try. A SoS is not supposed to get involved in domestic politics, so we have no idea when she would've endorsed it as a Senator or private citizen.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2016, 04:30:39 PM »

Nice try. A SoS is not supposed to get involved in domestic politics, so we have no idea when she would've endorsed it as a Senator or private citizen.

Either way, she would have likely endorsed it at the same time or later than Sanders. But who care?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2016, 04:32:47 PM »

Either way, she would have likely endorsed it at the same time or later than Sanders. But who care?

Likely true. But this idea that Bernie is a pioneer and leader on the issue is ludicrous. He's a politician as well, and makes political calculations just like Hillary Clinton does.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2016, 04:34:00 PM »

I said that as a clarification, as the OP stated Sanders supported gay marriage in the early 2000s. He didn't.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2016, 04:37:43 PM »

Most of my fellow gay friends are for Sanders, but there's one guy who bought an "I'd bottom for Hillary" t-shirt.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2016, 06:58:54 PM »

Well I am a millennial and GLBT and I'm 110% voting for Hillary.  Why?

- She has the experience and she has the temperament for the job.
- More than ANY other candidate, she would be the best Commander in Chief.
- She's right on all of the issues.
- She would be the first woman president and I believe its time we had one.

Why not Bernie?

- He's not presidential material.  I'm sorry, he isn't.
- He has absolutely no experience in any foreign policy issue -- can you imagine him overseeing a military during a war?  I can't.
- He's mostly a single-issue candidate -- all on how the economy is rigged -- and not well-rounded enough on other issues.

I don't dislike Sanders, but I strongly believe that Hillary should be the President.  I feel like the ONLY person my age who does.  They're all feeling the Bern.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2016, 07:02:30 PM »

Well I am a millennial and GLBT and I'm 110% voting for Hillary.  Why?

Why not Bernie?

- He's not presidential material.  I'm sorry, he isn't.
- He has absolutely no experience in any foreign policy issue -- can you imagine him overseeing a military during a war?  I can't.
- He's mostly a single-issue candidate -- all on how the economy is rigged -- and not well-rounded enough on other issues.

I don't dislike Sanders, but I strongly believe that Hillary should be the President.  I feel like the ONLY person my age who does.  They're all feeling the Bern.

Senator Obama was INFINITELY more experienced on foreign policy in 2008 than Sanders is now, of course. LOL
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2016, 07:11:13 PM »

Why not Bernie?

- He has absolutely no experience in any foreign policy issue -- can you imagine him overseeing a military during a war?  I can't.

I don't dislike Sanders, but I strongly believe that Hillary should be the President.  I feel like the ONLY person my age who does.  They're all feeling the Bern.

Senator Obama was INFINITELY more experienced on foreign policy in 2008 than Sanders is now, of course. LOL

Hey, tell me about it. I supported Hillary in 08 too. Wink
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2016, 07:18:01 PM »

Why not Bernie?

Lol, it's not about experience, since very few have been SoS. Obama actually had clear (if not slightly naive) foreign policy views, Sanders just clearly isn't interested.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2016, 07:31:09 PM »

Sanders has been in Congress for 25 years. He knows about foreign policy. He just doesn't talk about it because all of his supporters love Hamas and think the Paris attacks were justified and he doesn't want to offend them until after he's gotten their votes.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2016, 10:14:01 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2016, 10:16:31 PM by Virginia »

My LGBT friends seem split on Clinton/Sanders, but I don't see anything specific other than policy influencing those decisions. They are both for equality/see eye-to-eye on this stuff, so it's hard to see why anything LGBT-specific would matter in this choice. Now if it were a choice between D/R, it becomes a serious issue, which is why all my LGBT friends are Democrats Smiley. Most of those friends are back up north though, so I haven't really been able to pick their brain on this in awhile.

I'm voting for Hillary though, for various reasons, but LGBT issues aren't a determining factor between the two choices because I know they both have my back on that.
DS0816
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2016, 10:20:42 PM »

I've been told the "Elder Gays" worship Hillary Clinton.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2016, 10:28:02 PM »

I only know one gay man and two lesbians and the gay man supports Bernie and I don't know who the lesbians support, I know they are more conservative though, it wouldn't surprise me if they support Trump.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies