Should the secret ballot be abolished?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:09:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should the secret ballot be abolished?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Should the secret ballot be abolished?  (Read 6477 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2005, 01:43:26 AM »

I'm ready to allow postal votes for those living more than a set distance from their polling station, and the infirm.
Maybe we should decrease the person-to-voting booth ratio so that people don't have to wait for three hours to vote.
Yes, obviously. Does that happen in Canada as well? The longest I've ever waited was about five to ten minutes. In fact, that's the only time I ever waited at all. Although I don't think the person-to-voting booth ratio in the US is lower than in Germany. In fact, it's probably higher. But Americans vote on a whole swath of positions on the same day, so obviously they will need more time in the voting booth, and voting machines often consume additional time.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2005, 03:06:34 AM »

I just took that from reports that last November some Americans waited hours to vote. What I think is that the person running elections should not be a partisan figure. It should be an electoral judge, running an electoral commission just like every other sane country does. Also we should use paper ballots to reduce the risk of "black boxing". And, elections should be done on Saturdays so that people don't have to interrupt work AND hard-core evangelical Christians could vote too.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2005, 03:10:09 AM »

I just took that from reports that last November some Americans waited hours to vote. What I think is that the person running elections should not be a partisan figure. It should be an electoral judge, running an electoral commission just like every other sane country does. Also we should use paper ballots to reduce the risk of "black boxing". And, elections should be done on Saturdays so that people don't have to interrupt work AND hard-core evangelical Christians could vote too.
Netherlands have solved that problem by voting on thursdays - and making polling day a national holiday.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2005, 04:06:20 AM »

We vote on the weekends here, so not too many people have to work, and even though it's compulsory most people can get in and out of a polling booth in 15 minutes, less if they go in before ~3pm, or if they don't vote for all the candidates 'below the line' in senate elections. 20 minutes out of one weekend once every three years is not too much to ensure the electorate is represented and that democracy continues, imho.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2005, 04:09:36 AM »

maybe we shoud make a law saying if turnout in an election is below 50% the result is void, because the majority of the electorate voted by not voting.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2005, 04:14:50 AM »

Heck no read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_machine its about the Political Machine and it shows why getting rid of the secret ballot is a bad idea.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2005, 04:18:23 AM »

I do find it rather unhealthy when you have elections like the current ones in Lebanon with astoundingly low turnout, or the US where 60% is considered a miracle turnout. Whilst forcing people to vote isn't perfect, the benefit you get from having elected representatives that truly are elected by the majority (at least in theory, and with preferential voting) rather then minority groups with buses can't be outweighed by people declining their responsibility to protect a nation's democracy.

If anyone tries to tell me that US democracy is in a healthy state, I'm going to have to argue. Court cases determining race outcomes, gerrymandering allowing for practically uncontested elections, and low turnout isn't healthy. Australia ISN'T perfect, but we're taking better care of the gift and the responsibility that is democracy then the USA in my opinion, and that's at least in part because people vote and they have to care at least enough to make a decision, even if no more then that, and they are involved in the continuing of representation of the people by normal people, niot the millionaires that you have over there.

Will there EVER be another American president who isn't/was never a millionaire? I doubt it. Will there ever be a major party candidate that isn't and has never been?

America is the most important democracy, but it isn't healthy. And if you want to really screw it up further, take away the secret ballot. It's practically the intravenous drip sustaining the core of US democracy.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2005, 04:50:20 AM »

Well spoken, Hugh.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies