The Nuclear Option
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:55:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The Nuclear Option
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Nuclear Option  (Read 1223 times)
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 26, 2016, 10:55:32 PM »

It's looking increasingly likely that Trump will have the binding commitment of a majority of Republican delegates going into Cleveland.

That said, it's entirely possible that a majority of delegates at the convention would prefer that he not be the nominee, it's just that they are bound to do so by RNC and state GOP rules.  Remember that in many states, Trump has no control whatsoever over the selection of the delegates that are bound to him; they are chosen by the existing state GOP's central committee, or at a State Convention, etc.

This raises the possibility: could such an anti-Trump majority of delegates decide to change the rules before the vote on the nominee?  For a milder comparison, people are already talking about changing Rule 40 should it prove necessary to allow a candidate to be placed in nomination.

Would such a move be possible? Would anyone honestly consider it? Could Trump still run as an independent at that point?  How badly would this destroy the GOP as a party, if they tried it?
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 11:30:33 PM »

This would destroy the GOP entirely.

Not gonna happen, if Trump wins the majority of delegates he will be the nominee. Period.
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 11:38:43 PM »

Well, if he is indicted for a crime before the Convention, I can see this happening if he refused to withdraw.
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 11:40:15 PM »

However, if he is even one vote short of a majority on the first ballot, those delegates who are pledged to Trump, but not selected by Trump will basically ensure that he is not nominated on any subsequent ballot.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 11:40:51 PM »

Maybe aliens will abduct Donald Trump on the 4th of July, and bring him home

...you're really reaching now, dude. Won't happen.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 11:45:05 PM »

As bad as the consequences of a Trump nomination would be, the fallout from essentially invalidating the results of the primaries would probably be worse. If Trump reaches a majority, the party leadership will probably just let him have it and pray.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 02:39:21 AM »

As bad as the consequences of a Trump nomination would be, the fallout from essentially invalidating the results of the primaries would probably be worse. If Trump reaches a majority, the party leadership will probably just let him have it and pray.

The party leadership is probably doing everything they can to try to figure out a way to avoid a Trump nomination. All I can say is "Good luck, folks."
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 10:35:10 PM »

The full blown "nuclear option" to deny him the nomination even if he has the votes is highly unlikely to happen.

But I do wonder, if it does turn out that the majority of delegates at the convention don't want him to be the nominee even though they're pledged to support him, will there be any attempt to deny him his choice of running mate?  The delegates aren't actually bound by the rules to nominate the VP nominee of the presidential nominee's choice, are they?  If they really want to mess with him, they won't give him the VP he wants.  Seems unlikely that would happen, but this is obviously a weird year, so you never know.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 11:11:48 PM »

I think a more 'realistic' scenario for a Trump with majority delegates getting denied situation would center around denial of credentials for enough of his delegates for him to suddenly not have enough pledge delegates. This could be done a number of ways, including by the credential committee just refusing some number of them by fiat and not enough folks in the convention moving to overrule these decisions. Another similar situation would be have the state party in one of his biggest states just out right refuse to deliver delegates to the convention. If Trump wins Florida and his majority is dependent on Florida's delegates, if the state party fails to select any delegates, then suddenly Trump lacks the numbers, perhaps by a razor thin margin, to get the nomination.

This would of course rely on things going perfectly and that there's not enough convention dissent to undo the plan. So... if something like these is planned, there'd probably be several different layers of action in place o be sure. So, expect mass confusion as the media who for the most part didn't do their homework suddenly has no idea what's going on and large sections of the convention are kept in the dark about things as well or actively feed disinformation.

I don't have a microwave, but I'll figure out some means to have enough popcorn.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 11:14:04 PM »

The delegates WILL stop Trump, I guarantee it.  They will never allow him to be the Republican nominee.  It won't happen!
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 11:20:57 PM »

The full blown "nuclear option" to deny him the nomination even if he has the votes is highly unlikely to happen.

But I do wonder, if it does turn out that the majority of delegates at the convention don't want him to be the nominee even though they're pledged to support him, will there be any attempt to deny him his choice of running mate?  The delegates aren't actually bound by the rules to nominate the VP nominee of the presidential nominee's choice, are they?  If they really want to mess with him, they won't give him the VP he wants.  Seems unlikely that would happen, but this is obviously a weird year, so you never know.

Actually, true. The problem, of course, that such a VP would be the most miserable man if elected: he would spend the 4 years in continuous humiliation.  I would love to see the VP debate, though: imagine, both candidates agree on bashing Trump Smiley

I think it is more likely there could be a major platform fight. The delegates might adopt a platform that would be directly at odds with Trumpīs promises. But, unfortunately, Trump does not really care about his promises either.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies