Democratic South Carolina Primary results thread (polls close @7pm ET)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:32:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Democratic South Carolina Primary results thread (polls close @7pm ET)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21
Author Topic: Democratic South Carolina Primary results thread (polls close @7pm ET)  (Read 43877 times)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2016, 12:57:03 PM »

Where all the white people at? Oh......yeah, I forgot, Southern White Democrats are becoming a myth now.

I'm thinking a good chunk of white Dixiecrats that voted in the primary in 2008 opted for the Republican primary last week instead.

My guess on turnout is about 500k.
HillOfANight
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2016, 01:24:54 PM »

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/2016/02/27/live-blog-south-carolina-democratic-primary/80987478/
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I've read generally that between 2004 and 2008 is the likeliest Dem turnout.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2016, 01:28:05 PM »

Turnout is low to moderate, per CNN. Hopefully this is bad for Clinton.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2016, 01:31:15 PM »

I think you have it backwards, Sanders is helped by high Turnout, low turnout probably means older voters showed up but young people didnt.
HillOfANight
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2016, 01:31:25 PM »

LOL!!!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/02/21/bernie-sanders-says-lower-turnout-contributed-to-his-nevada-loss-to-hillary-clinton/
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2016, 01:31:47 PM »

How would this be bad for Clinton? It means that the electorate is going to be even blacker and older than a high turnout election.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2016, 01:38:33 PM »

I believe someone said before that the county to watch for a Sanders win is Pickens. I saw that Charleston is also a potential close county. There was this handy chart on Reddit suggesting that a hypothetical Sanders SC result of 38% would correspond to about a 2.5% win in Pickens and about a 4% loss in Charleston.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2016, 01:38:53 PM »

How would this be bad for Clinton? It means that the electorate is going to be even blacker and older than a high turnout election.
Well, it could be bad for Clinton in GE, but not in the primary.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2016, 01:52:40 PM »

Guys my friend is at a university and went along a ballot line, there wasn't a single person over 23 and none of them were voting for Clinton!
Sanders landslide imminent!!!!

Someone else sent me this picture from a polling center.  Where are all the black people???  This is going to be a rough night for Hillary!

#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2016, 01:54:40 PM »

Democrats seem very low energy this cycle.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2016, 01:58:28 PM »

Guys my friend is at a university and went along a ballot line, there wasn't a single person over 23 and none of them were voting for Clinton!

Someone else sent me this picture from a polling center.  Where are all the black people???  This is going to be a rough night for Hillary!

Look at all the Iraqi voters voting for Sanders in South Carolina!
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2016, 02:19:33 PM »

I think that the racial crosstabs on exit polls matter more for Sanders than Clinton's raw margin of victory. Assuming that exit polls aren't a joke like they were in NV, at least.

A race in which Clinton wins among both white and black voters in South Carolina will be covered very differently than one in which Sanders wins the white vote - however small the white share of the electorate is today.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2016, 02:47:33 PM »

Low turnout is bad for both Clinton and Sanders. It means either one of them will have work to do before the GE.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2016, 02:49:54 PM »

Low turnout is bad for both Clinton and Sanders. It means either one of them will have work to do before the GE.

Nah, the Democratic primary has been low key. If they were hurling insults like TRUMP and Rubio then I'm sure Democrats would have record turnout too.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2016, 02:56:57 PM »

Not to mention the fact that more candidates and a more competitive primary will of course lead to higher turnout. For example, if it was just Trump vs. Rubio, there would be a turnout dropoff among supporters of the other candidates. And many Hillary lovers and even people who dislike Hillary assume it is in the bag for her anyway, so don't bother to vote.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2016, 02:58:53 PM »

Someone else sent me this picture from a polling center.  Where are all the black people???  This is going to be a rough night for Hillary!

Didn't realize South Carolina was now majority Kurdish.

Amazing how demographics change so radically.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2016, 03:02:48 PM »

I'm not saying the Democrats should be more vicious to one another, I'm saying that they need to excite Democratic voters more. It's foolish to assume that everyone who would support Sanders or Clinton over Trump but is sitting on the sidelines right now will stampede towards the polls in November. Some will, but others, for better or for worse, need a reason to get out and vote.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2016, 03:05:00 PM »

I'm not saying the Democrats should be more vicious to one another, I'm saying that they need to excite Democratic voters more. It's foolish to assume that everyone who would support Sanders or Clinton over Trump but is sitting on the sidelines right now will stampede towards the polls in November. Some will, but others, for better or for worse, need a reason to get out and vote.

If the prospect of a TRUMP presidency isn't motivating enough for Democrats and Dem leaning independents then I don't know what will be.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2016, 03:06:18 PM »

Look at all the Iraqi voters voting for Sanders in South Carolina!

This is a random thought, but I wonder if there's a partisan breakdown between Kurdish Iraqi Americans, Sunni Iraqi Americans, and Shi'a Iraqi Americans. I imagine Shi'as and Kurds would be both relatively more Republican and Clinton-friendly, while Sunnis would be relatively more Democratic and Sanders-friendly. Probably just conjecture.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2016, 03:15:33 PM »

This is a random thought, but I wonder if there's a partisan breakdown between Kurdish Iraqi Americans, Sunni Iraqi Americans, and Shi'a Iraqi Americans. I imagine Shi'as and Kurds would be both relatively more Republican and Clinton-friendly, while Sunnis would be relatively more Democratic and Sanders-friendly. Probably just conjecture.

Which group is more economically conservative, and which is more socially conservative?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2016, 03:17:18 PM »

If the prospect of a TRUMP presidency isn't motivating enough for Democrats and Dem leaning independents then I don't know what will be.

The idea that the alternative to Trump is more than just "not as bad as Trump."
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2016, 03:22:47 PM »

Besides left-wing nutjobs like jfern I don't think there is any sane Democrat out there thinking like that about Clinton. Just look at her favorables.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2016, 03:31:02 PM »

Someone else sent me this picture from a polling center.  Where are all the black people???  This is going to be a rough night for Hillary!

Didn't realize South Carolina was now majority Kurdish.

Amazing how demographics change so radically.

Obama's America.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2016, 03:53:36 PM »

Besides left-wing nutjobs like jfern I don't think there is any sane Democrat out there thinking like that about Clinton. Just look at her favorables.

Even if Clinton wins the vote of every sane person in America, it won't be enough. She needs a majority. It certainly isn't a majority of Sanders supporters who would refuse to vote for Clinton. I'd gladly vote for her. The problem is that there might be just enough to tip the balance in Trump's favor.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2016, 03:58:19 PM »

Even if Clinton wins the vote of every sane person in America, it won't be enough.

>implying that only people who vote for Clinton are sane

Against Trump, yes, I'm more than happy to make that assumption.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies