Democratic South Carolina Primary results thread (polls close @7pm ET)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:12:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Democratic South Carolina Primary results thread (polls close @7pm ET)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21]
Author Topic: Democratic South Carolina Primary results thread (polls close @7pm ET)  (Read 43869 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: February 28, 2016, 02:26:35 AM »

Even though I'm happy Hillary absolutely destroyed him, on some level I kind of feel bad for the guy too. I mean, not to sound like a Berniebro, but this is a guy that marched with MLK and got arrested while fighting for civil rights and yet posted numbers among blacks that would make you think he was David Duke. I hope he doesn't take it too personally, they just love Hillary.

At least he got his moment in the sun after NH.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #501 on: February 28, 2016, 02:32:11 AM »

Yeah, just like 2008 wasn't a referendum against Clinton, they just liked Obama more. I don't think this is a personal rejection of Sanders, they just liked Clinton more.

As for the turnout gap, yes it is a concern, but as Trump himself says, "you don't just add them up." The Republicans will be nominating one candidate for president this year, not six. So far, Hillary has more votes than Trump out of the two primary states.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #502 on: February 28, 2016, 02:37:01 AM »

What a disaster for the Democratic party.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #503 on: February 28, 2016, 02:37:13 AM »
« Edited: February 28, 2016, 02:43:36 AM by IceSpear »

Yeah, just like 2008 wasn't a referendum against Clinton, they just liked Obama more. I don't think this is a personal rejection of Sanders, they just liked Clinton more.

As for the turnout gap, yes it is a concern, but as Trump himself says, "you don't just add them up." The Republicans will be nominating one candidate for president this year, not six. So far, Hillary has more votes than Trump out of the two primary states.

But of course Pollutico has to write brutal headlines like this:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It figures the one time the media has to praise Hillary, they do so by being jerks to her opponent instead, not giving her any credit. Angry

As a Hillary supporter in 08, it's very easy to empathize with him and his supporters about this.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #504 on: February 28, 2016, 02:47:52 AM »

It's not so much that they dislike Bernie Sanders, they just overwhelmingly chose Clinton.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #505 on: February 28, 2016, 02:48:19 AM »
« Edited: February 28, 2016, 02:49:58 AM by SteveMcQueen »

Even though I'm happy Hillary absolutely destroyed him, on some level I kind of feel bad for the guy too. I mean, not to sound like a Berniebro, but this is a guy that marched with MLK and got arrested while fighting for civil rights and yet posted numbers among blacks that would make you think he was David Duke. I hope he doesn't take it too personally, they just love Hillary.

Meh, he was just a college student getting involved in the college protests of the day, it wasn't exactly bold to be a student protester in the 60s.  He hasn't accomplished jack in the fifty years since.  The Clintons, meanwhile, are the duo of politicians that have accomplished the most for civil rights and empowerment of the african american community since LBJ.  We're comparing a meager activist to a titan of political achievement here.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #506 on: February 28, 2016, 02:49:28 AM »

I hope he doesn't take it too personally, they just love Hillary.

Hillary:

* Is married to Bill Clinton
* Served faithfully in the Obama Administration
* Democrat, but not very liberal

I'm not saying that Sanders never had a chance, but with black voters, it was a very very small chance.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #507 on: February 28, 2016, 02:53:22 AM »

Meh, he was just a college student getting involved in the college protests of the day, it wasn't exactly bold to be a student protester in the 60s.  He hasn't accomplished jack in the fifty years since.  The Clintons, meanwhile, are the duo of politicians that have accomplished the most for civil rights and empowerment of the african american community since LBJ.  We're comparing a meager activist to a titan of political achievement here.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to compare records or anything. I'm just saying it must be painful to be so thoroughly crushed among a group you fought for since you were young. Like I said, as a Hillary supporter in 08, I felt that same sting, and I'm sure she did too.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #508 on: February 28, 2016, 02:55:52 AM »

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to compare records or anything. I'm just saying it must be painful to be so thoroughly crushed among a group you fought for since you were young. Like I said, as a Hillary supporter in 08, I felt that same sting, and I'm sure she did too.

Yeah, I feel that.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #509 on: February 28, 2016, 03:18:04 AM »

SC turnout:

2008 D: 532k
2016 D: 369k (-30%)

2008 R: 446k
2016 R: 738k (+65%)

The difference in turnout trends is perhaps the most disturbing thing about this primary season for me. The conventional wisdom is that Republicans are just super extra excited because of reasons and that this won't at all translate to higher R turnout in November.

I'm not so convinced. Yes in this case there might be something to the splitting of  the primary into two contests on two days, but that can't explain away NH and IA's turnout problem. This trend is a problem and I highly suspect it will continue.

To an extent I blame both campaigns for this. Sanders might be working to turnout new voters and young voters, but his machine just isn't meeting expectations there. Lots of enthusiasm is good, but its not enough to make sure the footwork is completed and done in a fashion that is effective. If he can't push folks to engagement we default to the core regular primary voter core which both doesn't much care for him and are not getting people excited for the general. As for Clinton, having effectively cleared the field before this contest even began means that the Democratic race hasn't been the least bit interesting to more casual Dem voters. The party needs more than just disgust at the Trumps and Cruzs. It needs its voters to be thinking about why they should support their candidates in order to convince the rest of your voting coalition to even show up and to expand. And right now, I'm really not seeing much of that outside places like here and other similar communities that are always well informed and excited about politics. And there's the whole issue of people that vote in primaries are very likely to do the general as well, and having more viable candidates in the field would certainly help with that. But nah, Clinton had to have this one to herself because it was her turn.

So yeah, not too happy with either candidate/campaign on this front. And I do believe it spells major trouble for November.

Good commentary but an overwrought conclusion.

There's no historical parallel between primary turnout and GE turnout. The other is the dynamics, the GOP is seeing major turnout because they're the circus this year. There is a massive civil war in the GOP right now and there isn't in the Democrats. Despite what people think, this was not the case in 2008 for the Democrats, the debate wasn't about policy (largely) it was about broad narratives.

In the end, the fight between Clinton and Obama was good for the party because it wasn't about policy, but the bigger picture. What's going on in the GOP is not a positive development for them.

People go where the attention is. I think people, especially those who want to make sure that the GOP don't win in November, stop clutching pearls and realise that fundamentally the situation benefits the Democrats and acting like all is lost in f***ing February and this bs about treating Trump like he's the new Reagan needs to END. Trump can be had, and easily.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #510 on: February 28, 2016, 05:17:13 AM »

Couldn't the high GOP turnout be read as a straightforward consequence of the fact that the candidates (put especially Trump) are polarizing within the party?  Trump's favorability rating among Republicans who are not already supporting him for the nomination is pretty terrible.  So his fans show up in big number to back him, but his opponents show up in big numbers to stop him.  If he's the nominee, then sure, the ~35% or whatever of the party that loves him will show up big for him.  But will the rest of the party back him as overwhelmingly as the Democrats will back Clinton?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #511 on: February 28, 2016, 06:54:16 AM »

Southerners have been a gaggle of fuctards that don't know how to vote their own interests for decades.  Are we shocked?
Anecdotally, I know a number of Democratic leaning voters who probably would have voted for Sanders in the Democratic primary who thought it more important to try and influence the Republican result this time.  Despite all the angst and sturm, there won't be much difference in the electoral chances in November between Clinton and Sanders. Moreover, because they will be dealing with a Republican House and likely a Republican Senate, there is essentially no difference in what they can get done.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #512 on: February 28, 2016, 08:48:49 AM »

Sanders won:
7 precincts and tied 1 in Aiken County,
6 precincts in Anderson County,
4 precincts and tied 1 in Beaufort County,
5 precincts in Berkeley County,
35 precincts in Charleston County,
2 precincts and tied 2 in Cherokee County,
1 precinct in Darlington County,
5 precincts in Dorchester County,
1 precinct in Edgefield County,
1 precinct and tied 1 precinct in Florence County,
19 precincts and tied 2 in Greenville County,
3 precincts in Greenwood County,
8 precincts in Horry County,
2 precincts and tied 1 in Kershaw County
1 precinct in Lancaster County
2 precincts and tied 2 in Laurens County,
24 precincts in Lexington County,
1 precinct in McCormick County,
1 precinct in Newberry County,
9 precincts in Oconee County,
19 precincts and tied 3 in Pickens County,
6 precincts in Richland County,
2 precincts and tied 1 in Saluda County,
9 precincts in Spartanburg County,
1 precinct in Sumter County,
1 precinct in Williamsburg County, and
10 precincts in York County.

As a general rule, not only did Sanders win few precincts, but the ones he won were smaller precincts and he didn't win them by much.

Bamberg County with its small low turnout precincts had some odd results.
Hightowers Mill precinct had O'Malley come in second by virtue of having the only non-Clinton vote among the 10 votes counted.
Kearse precinct has all four candidates being reported as having 1 vote each.
Little Swamp precinct has Sanders and Wilson tied for second place with 1 vote each compared to Clinton's 4 votes.

Here are the other precincts I thought the results were noteworthy.
Clinton won all 7 votes in Friendship precinct in Barnwell County.
Sanders won all 3 votes in Bethera precinct in Berkeley County.
Clinton won all 27 votes in Creston precinct in Calhoun County.
Wilson came in second place in Panola precinct in Clarendon County with 1 vote to Clinton's 48.
Clinton won all 9 votes in Gaddy's Mill precinct in Darlington County.
O'Malley came in second place in Bermuda precinct in Darlington County with 3 votes to Clinton's 21 and Sanders 1.
Clinton won all 22 votes in Blackstock precinct in Fairfield County.
Clinton won both votes in New Hope precinct in Fairfield County.
O'Malley came in second place in Woodard precinct in Fairfield County with 2 votes to Clinton's 37.
Clinton won all 8 votes in Troy precinct in Greenwood County.
No votes were cast in Horse Gall precinct in Hampton County.
Sanders won all 3 three votes in Clyde precinct in Saluda County.
Wilson came in second in Suttons precinct in Williamsburg County with 1 vote to Clinton's 22.

Thanks to Kearse and Horse Gall precincts, all four candidates can claim to have won a precinct.
Hydera

« Reply #513 on: February 28, 2016, 10:04:51 AM »

As i said before, im glad she won big in South Carolina since the media was ready to run headlines about "CLINTON LOSES" if she only won by >20%
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #514 on: February 28, 2016, 01:29:07 PM »

nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #515 on: February 28, 2016, 01:31:36 PM »

Sanders won:
7 precincts and tied 1 in Aiken County,
6 precincts in Anderson County,
4 precincts and tied 1 in Beaufort County,
5 precincts in Berkeley County,
35 precincts in Charleston County,
2 precincts and tied 2 in Cherokee County,
1 precinct in Darlington County,
5 precincts in Dorchester County,
1 precinct in Edgefield County,
1 precinct and tied 1 precinct in Florence County,
19 precincts and tied 2 in Greenville County,
3 precincts in Greenwood County,
8 precincts in Horry County,
2 precincts and tied 1 in Kershaw County
1 precinct in Lancaster County
2 precincts and tied 2 in Laurens County,
24 precincts in Lexington County,
1 precinct in McCormick County,
1 precinct in Newberry County,
9 precincts in Oconee County,
19 precincts and tied 3 in Pickens County,
6 precincts in Richland County,
2 precincts and tied 1 in Saluda County,
9 precincts in Spartanburg County,
1 precinct in Sumter County,
1 precinct in Williamsburg County, and
10 precincts in York County.

Any chance Sanders could have won any state house/senate districts, or towns?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #516 on: February 28, 2016, 01:44:31 PM »

Any chance Sanders could have won any state house/senate districts, or towns?

Very little. Sanders even lost Clemson University's precinct and most of the surrounding precincts. Things he did win: Walhalla (Oconee County), Pelzer (Anderson County), Pelion (Lexington County), Folly Beach (Charleston County), James Island (Charleston County). Possibly others.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #517 on: February 28, 2016, 03:54:40 PM »

Hard to say for certain as those boundaries rarely coincide with precinct boundaries. But the scattered nature of Sanders' precincts and slim margins of victory in them suggest not.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #518 on: February 28, 2016, 05:19:52 PM »

Couldn't the high GOP turnout be read as a straightforward consequence of the fact that the candidates (put especially Trump) are polarizing within the party?  Trump's favorability rating among Republicans who are not already supporting him for the nomination is pretty terrible.  So his fans show up in big number to back him, but his opponents show up in big numbers to stop him.  If he's the nominee, then sure, the ~35% or whatever of the party that loves him will show up big for him.  But will the rest of the party back him as overwhelmingly as the Democrats will back Clinton?

Yes, this. This is pretty much my reasoning (well explained) as to why Trump starts with a disadvantage to Clinton. I know his magical 'ceiling' from his opponents has been made fun of endlessly, but he actually does have something like a 60% ceiling (based on polling, around 40% of Republicans find him unfavorable, 30% say they would never vote for him) in the Republican primary. That is deeply divisive and troubling going into the general election.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies