Who would win the Florida nominations for governor in 2018?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:11:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who would win the Florida nominations for governor in 2018?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: skip
Senator Marco Rubio (R)

Agriculture Commissioner Adam Putnam (R)

CFO Jeff Atwater (R)

State Rep. Will Weatherford (R)

Former Governor Charlie Crist (D)

Tampa Mayor Bob Buckhorn (D)

Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer (D)

Fort Lauderdale Mayor Jack Seiler

Congresswoman Gwen Graham

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Who would win the Florida nominations for governor in 2018?  (Read 4983 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 28, 2016, 02:37:09 AM »

Personally I think Rubio would get the GOP nomination if he ran, otherwise I think Putnam would get it. On the Dem side, if Crist runs again I don't see him ever getting the Dem nomination again, I think Dyer and Graham would be the frontrunners.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 02:46:17 AM »

I'm thinking Putnam v. Graham, in what would definitely be the Democrats best chance at the Governorship in a long long time.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 12:45:37 PM »

Let's dispel with this fiction that Marco Rubio will run for governor.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 01:32:18 PM »

Let's dispel with this fiction that Marco Rubio will run for governor.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 01:32:49 PM »

Regalado/Bondi is the best ticket for the Republicans.

Otherwise, Crist v. Putnam is most likely.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 01:39:31 PM »

Yeah, being a REPUBLICAN mayor in Miami is pretty good, but I don't think he is just that great for the Governorship, Putnam would be better. Bondi? No way.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 03:48:35 PM »

Rubio, if he is not President or in the administration, will be elected Governor in 2018.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 11:10:55 PM »

Rubio, if he is not President or in the administration, will be elected Governor in 2018.
I don't know, what are his chances of running a second sitting governor out of the party in a Senate primary in 2018?
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 11:36:54 PM »

I'm hoping Dwight Bullard runs and wins but by the time this election happens, it won't affect me. Tongue
JMT

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 12:28:43 AM »

I think it would be Rubio vs Graham, if they both ran.

However, I don't think Rubio will run for governor. He more likely than not will lose the GOP nomination for president to Trump this year, and Trump will go on to lose the general election to Hillary. This will leave many Republican voters wishing they had voted for Rubio instead of Trump, and I think Rubio would be the frontrunner for the GOP nomination in 2020. So, if this is true, why would he want to risk running for Governor in 2018, a race he could potentially lose in the general election? He wouldn't have to be governor to win the GOP nomination in 2020, I think he'd be the frontrunner even if he isn't Florida's governor. If he were to run in for Gov in 2018 and lose, he wouldn't exactly be considered the best candidate to run for president just two years later. So I think Rubio opts out of the governor race. If he doesn't run for governor, it could be a close race between Putnam and Atwater in the primary. Putnam has been preparing for a run for governor for quite some time, so perhaps Atwater would instead run for Bill Nelson's senate seat to avoid a nasty primary. Atwater would most likely win the nomination for senate if he chose to do that.

Graham is a different story. I think she will opt out of running for reelection this year because under the new map she'll likely lose. She will then run for governor in 2018, and most likely win the nomination. She'd have a pretty good shot at winning the general election too. She may get challenged by someone on the left because she's fairly moderate, but I think she wins the nomination anyways. I don't think Charlie Crist will run for Governor in 2018, especially if Graham runs. Crist will most likely be elected to Congress this year, I don't think he'll run for Governor after just one term. He clearly wants to be governor, but will hold on to his house seat for a few terms and run for Governor in 2020 or 2024.

Those are my predictions at least! 

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 03:06:13 AM »

Marco probably runs if he doesn't become prez.

I'm not sure about Christ. I doubt he's running again. Just one term in congress is very short. If he loses the house race, he's done.
RRusso1982
Rookie
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 08:32:48 AM »

Why isn't Bondi one of the choices?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 09:08:51 AM »

Rubio is more likely to go to jail for his cultural gay escapades, when Trump is secured at the White House, than run for Governor.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 09:10:54 PM »

The RPOF is very united behind Putnam. Bondi, Atwater, and Weatherford won't run out of respect to Putnam and if Rubio does run, he'll be demolished.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 11:35:20 PM »

I hope Rubio wouldn't run for governor unless he is serious about staying there for a while.

But regardless, his ambition will be used against him by his opponent (he's just trying to use us to get back in the presidential election in 2 years, etc.)
Trapsy

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2016, 12:44:35 AM »

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2016, 11:34:45 AM »

Yeah, being a REPUBLICAN mayor in Miami is pretty good, but I don't think he is just that great for the Governorship, Putnam would be better. Bondi? No way.

Regalado is the best Republican - he's the executive of Florida's financial capital and he's fairly moderate. He'd be one of the few Governors with prior executive experience.

I'd love to see him run for higher office someday, but his ambition is lacking.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2016, 01:27:14 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2016, 01:30:19 PM by Dereich »

Regalado is the best Republican - he's the executive of Florida's financial capital and he's fairly moderate. He'd be one of the few Governors with prior executive experience.

Miami politicians don't tend to run for statewide office; I think Jeb was the last one to do so successfully. Miami is just such a different creature from the rest of the state that it's hard for their politicians to build up a statewide profile.

As I've said a dozen times now, there is no space for Rubio to run and his personal appeal is unlikely to overcome a lack of party support. Putnam and Graham is the most likely race and would be a pretty good clash of heavyweights.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2016, 04:41:06 PM »

Miami politicians don't tend to run for statewide office; I think Jeb was the last one to do so successfully. Miami is just such a different creature from the rest of the state that it's hard for their politicians to build up a statewide profile.

As I've said a dozen times now, there is no space for Rubio to run and his personal appeal is unlikely to overcome a lack of party support. Putnam and Graham is the most likely race and would be a pretty good clash of heavyweights.

It's sad, but I guess Graham or Crist is good enough.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2016, 12:49:44 PM »

It's sad, but I guess Graham or Crist is good enough.

Crist practically wrecked himself when he did a complete 180 on his political views, as a moderate Republican Governor he was ok, not as good as his predecessor Jeb, but certainly better than Scott.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 09:00:50 AM »

Graham vs. Putnam, and if the Florida Democratic Party gets its sh**t together this time, Graham wins by 3-4 points.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2016, 05:47:55 PM »

Graham vs. Putnam, and if the Florida Democratic Party gets its sh**t together this time, Graham wins by 3-4 points.
lol no

1. Putnam is extremely popular.
2. Graham isn't a lock for reelection in her current district and might not even run again.
3. The FL Dems are almost as much as a joke as your recent posting spat.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2016, 07:28:19 PM »

Adam Putnam seems like a strong favorite on the Republican side, with Bondi also possible. No idea on the Dem side; it looks like Graham is going to forego reelection and will focus on the 2018 gubernatorial bid, so I suppose her.

I really doubt Crist would run for the House now if he was planning an '18 gubernatorial bid. He might reenter statewide politics eventually, but I think he plans to be in Washington until at least ~2022.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2016, 08:37:12 PM »

Putnam and Graham. Graham wins by 2 points.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2016, 09:32:54 PM »

Putnam and Graham. Graham wins by 2 points.
If she runs for reelection in FL-02 this year, and loses, then that will be a setback for her.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies