BREAKING Gabbard resigns from DNC and endorses Bernie
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:54:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  BREAKING Gabbard resigns from DNC and endorses Bernie
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: BREAKING Gabbard resigns from DNC and endorses Bernie  (Read 6476 times)
Shadows
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2016, 11:48:57 AM »

Decorated profile though, coming from a conservative family she is a very progressive person.

Served in the army, was a major or something, served in Iraq, was elected in to the Hawaii House of Representatives at the age of 21, youngest ever in history. Congresswoman at the age of 29-30 odd.

She is 34 now & A Vet, served in Iraq, Major & DNC Vice-Chair - Very progressive in issues.

Unreal bio - Eccentric or not, I think she should have a strong political future
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2016, 11:49:15 AM »
« Edited: February 28, 2016, 12:01:02 PM by eric82oslo »

From what I understand, Debbie Wasserman-Schultz has been kind of tyrannical as DNC chair, and almost openly favoring Hillary, so I imagine that Tulsi Gabbard was just sick of it.

Still odd, considering Gabbard's main issue is being hawkish, and Bernie is... not.

Wasserman-Scultz has been to the Democratic Party as Mugabe has been to...basically everything. 92 year old extreme racist Mugabe has been by far the worst African head of state since Muammar Gadaffhi promised mass murder on his own people.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2016, 11:54:46 AM »

Well, she resigns from the DNC, but remains a superdelegate.

Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2016, 11:57:04 AM »

Well, they both criticize President Obama, except while Sanders says he's not "progressive enough", the charge from Gabbard is "not saying 'Islamic terrorism'". She's probably more hawkish that Hillary and it's ironic that the Sanders supporters who criticize Hillary for "evolving" on LGBT issues don't have the same issues with Tulsi.

She wrote in an email to reporters in 2004: "It's clear to me that you're acting as a conduit for The Honolulu Weekly and other homosexual extremist supporters of Ed Case" when they did a profile on her father, but in 2013 before the strikedown of DOMA she released a statement endorsing gay marriage and gay rights. The leader of her sect of Hare Krishna would literally tell people that if they couldn't change being gay, they should kill themselves.

Let's not forget her complete flip on abortion as well. If the Sanders supporters want to add her to their eccentric group of supporters, they can have her. I look forward to ProgressiveCanadian, jfern, and Shadows try to explain all this away, since it was such an issue for Hillary.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2016, 11:59:16 AM »

She has beef with Obama, so it stands to reason she would endorse his biggest critic in the race.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2016, 12:00:55 PM »

Well, they both criticize President Obama, except while Sanders says he's not "progressive enough", the charge from Gabbard is "not saying 'Islamic terrorism'". She's probably more hawkish that Hillary and it's ironic that the Sanders supporters who criticize Hillary for "evolving" on LGBT issues don't have the same issues with Tulsi.

There's plenty about Tulsi I really don't like. "Eccentric congresswoman from Hawaii" is just not quite as big on my radar as "the likely Democratic nominee for President."
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2016, 12:04:23 PM »

She is probably hoping to land VP or a cabinet spot in the unlikely event that Sanders wins the nomination. 

I also wouldn't be shocked if she receives a serious primary challenge after this.  It's okay to be a conservative Democrat in Hawaii (there are lots of them), but spitting in the face of Obama, the DNC, and the Democrat establishment like this could easily endanger her.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2016, 12:06:32 PM »

Here on Atlas Forum it's extremely popular to cheer on extreme mass murder of the Libanese people for whatever reason. Maybe because the same exact people are complete stupid. Every single person I've ever witnessed on this forum has somehow claimed that the world would have been much better off if Muammar Gadaffi, who did things Hitler never even would consider doing, was still alive. Go figure!!!!!!
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2016, 12:07:53 PM »

She wrote in an email to reporters in 2004: "It's clear to me that you're acting as a conduit for The Honolulu Weekly and other homosexual extremist supporters of Ed Case" when they did a profile on her father, but in 2013 before the strikedown of DOMA she released a statement endorsing gay marriage and gay rights. The leader of her sect of Hare Krishna would literally tell people that if they couldn't change being gay, they should kill themselves.

Let's not forget her complete flip on abortion as well. If the Sanders supporters want to add her to their eccentric group of supporters, they can have her. I look forward to ProgressiveCanadian, jfern, and Shadows try to explain all this away, since it was such an issue for Hillary.

What an absolutely ridiculous argument. She was 23 then & changed soon after & has been fighting for Gay Rights since then. She was born in a very conservative family where her father was homophobic but when she went to the Middle East at 24-25 years of age, she saw the world & her views changed.

She has been fighting for gay rights for almost a decade. She was fighting for LGBT rights when Hillary said "Marriage is between a man & a woman"

Hillary was anti-gay rights till she was 66(till everyone changed) & suddenly claims to be champion of Gay Rights. She doesn't, she actually champions it in real life without claiming it.

Hillary is a career flip-flopper from LGBT to TPP to NAFTA to Keystone & so on.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2016, 12:09:37 PM »

BTW this is what Wikipedia says -

LGBT Issues[edit]
During her first Congressional term, she cosponsored HR 1755: Employment Non-Discrimination Act of 2013, prohibiting employment discrimination on the basis of actual or perceived sexual orientation or gender identity. In addition, she co-sponsored two bills related to sexual orientation in the military. HR 2839: Restore Honor to Service Members Act gave military discharge review boards the discretion to retroactively grant honorable discharges to former members of the Armed Forces who were discharged because of their sexual orientation. HR 683 Military Spouses Equal Treatment Act provides the same benefits to same-sex military spouses as it does to different-sex spouses.

In her second term, she co-sponsored HR 3185 The Equality Act, which amends the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to include sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity among groups protected from discrimination in public places. She was also an original co-sponsor for HR 197 Respect for Marriage Act, which would repeal the Defense of Marriage Act.

Regarding the Supreme Court decision on marriage equality, she said:

“I applaud the Supreme Court's ruling today. Some countries in the world are theocracies. Fortunately, the United States of America is not one of them. Therefore, as long as the government is involved in marriage, it must do so with fairness—treating all Americans equally. Today’s ruling by the Supreme Court is an important victory to this end.” [73]

Same-sex marriage[edit]
Gabbard is opposed to the Defense of Marriage Act and to a proposed state constitutional amendment that would define marriage as between a woman and a man.[74] She had opposed same-sex marriage at one time[21] but after her tour of duty in the Middle East supported repeal of the DOMA and became a co-sponsor the Respect for Marriage Act after her election to Congress,[75] as she had promised to do during her campaign.[76] She also asked Hawaii state legislators "to pass legislation that will ensure fair and equal treatment for all of Hawaii's citizens".[75]

She publicly supports reproductive choice and LGBT populations, saying that the government should not be the "moral arbiter" in people's lives.[21] She credits her tours of duty in the Middle East with triggering her change in views.[77]

It brought me to a deeper understanding of the meaning of freedom in our country.... We cannot afford to walk down that dangerous path of government overstepping its boundaries into the most personal parts of our lives.[30]
Her father, Mike Gabbard, is a staunch anti-gay marriage Democrat (previously Republican) who is currently the State Senator for Hawaii's 19th District. The familial connection, and her previous stance,[21] initially caused voters to doubt the sincerity of her new support for LGBT causes.[77]
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2016, 12:13:22 PM »

Here on Atlas Forum it's extremely popular to cheer on extreme mass murder of the Libanese people for whatever reason. Maybe because the same exact people are complete stupid. Every single person I've ever witnessed on this forum has somehow claimed that the world would have been much better off if Muammar Gadaffi, who did things Hitler never even would consider doing, was still alive. Go figure!!!!!!

And is it any better after Gadaffi died? Have all murders stopped? Libya will likely become Syria II with the entire population threatened on the verge of extinction & will be the next breeding ground for terrorists.

Besides I support Bernie that it is none of US's business to unilaterally throw dictators around the world - It is illegal, immoral & should not be done. It risks its security playing with blood illegally around the world
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2016, 12:14:58 PM »

And what does that have to do with this thread?
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2016, 12:18:05 PM »

BTW she does not hate Obama that much but she does like Debbie, especially for Debate thing. She fought for more debates, greater transparency & was against Debbie rigging the process for Hillary.

She is anyways at loggerheads with Debbie, guess DWS is thrilled she got her off her back.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2016, 12:20:11 PM »

Also, for those of you hoping for Vice President Gabbard, I think that she'd need to be 35 to be VP.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2016, 12:21:52 PM »

Wow. Much respect. One of my favorite members of Congress, and although I don't agree with her choice, at least she's putting herself out there for her beliefs.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2016, 12:23:27 PM »

Also, for those of you hoping for Vice President Gabbard, I think that she'd need to be 35 to be VP.

She turns 35 in April.

There would be disputes over whether she's a natural born citizen, though.  She was born in American Samoa (American Samoans are American nationals but not citizens) but her mother was a citizen.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2016, 12:26:01 PM »

She turns 35 in April.

There would be disputes over whether she's a natural born citizen, though.  She was born in American Samoa (American Samoans are American nationals but not citizens) but her mother was a citizen.

That is true. Though I'd think it would be fine, considering that Ted Cruz can even run for president.
mencken
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2016, 12:27:39 PM »

Gabbard confirms why she is my favorite member of the Democratic caucus.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2016, 12:30:26 PM »

I'm surprised he would accept her endorsement, but I guess he's got to take what he can get these days.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2016, 12:34:05 PM »

Not that I expect her to be VP, but she turns 35 in April, so she's eligible.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2016, 12:34:55 PM »

I'm surprised he would accept her endorsement, but I guess he's got to take what he can get these days.

I wouldn't be surprised. Gabbard is basically the anti-DWS.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2016, 12:36:07 PM »

You're joking right?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2016, 12:42:41 PM »

It's about as legit as third way garbage like Shawn O'Connor in New Hampshire hosting and endorsing Bernie Sanders to seem more progressive. She's an obvious fraud.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2016, 12:43:30 PM »

This is sort of like when Frank Field nominated Corbyn.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2016, 12:45:33 PM »

Her family is a bunch of gay hating bigots, so this isn't a good endorsement for Sanders to land.

Gabbard did exactly what I expected her to do - be a deceitful, two-faced, piece of garbage.

But if you read earlier in the thread, she's sponsored pro-LGBT legislation, and talked about pro-LGBT issues for a while, so I don't think that first criticism is still valid.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies