Opinion of political correctness
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:13:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of political correctness
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: Opinion of political correctness  (Read 1402 times)
RR1997
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 28, 2016, 04:40:09 PM »
« edited: February 28, 2016, 04:59:22 PM by RR1997 »

HP.

I don't like political correctness. I wouldn't consider my self to be a politically correct person at all.

It also depends on the circumstances. Calling African-Americans 'black' is completely okay, and I hate it when people get offended over that. If we can't call African-Americans 'black', then the same logic should be applied to 'white' people. We should call 'white' people European-Americans or Caucasian-Americans. On the other hand, calling a whole group of people drug dealers and rapists is not okay.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 04:45:36 PM »

The big problem this country has is being politically correct. I've been challenged by so many people and I don't frankly have time for total political correctness. And to be honest with you, this country doesn't have time either.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 04:51:18 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2016, 05:06:38 PM by Frodo »

I condemn it whether it comes from the left or the right.                       
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 04:52:05 PM »

Horrible, obviously. It's amazing just how many things trigger people nowadays. You can't even say something as innocuous as "Happy Holidays" anymore without offending someone.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 04:57:11 PM »

Generally positive.

Like everything, it sometimes goes too far, but it's still far better than the alternatives.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 05:01:46 PM »

Horrible, obviously. It's amazing just how many things trigger people nowadays. You can't even say something as innocuous as "Happy Holidays" anymore without offending someone.

I know you're being sarcastic of course, but I actually genuinely feel this way. "Political correctness" being attacked by the Right is actually kind of hilarious because they're among the biggest whiners whenever someone cops an attitude or uses the wrong words. Exhibit A: Trump whining about Megyn Kelly daring to ask him questions.

My position of course is that both camps who get whiny in this way are wrong and people should be able to say whatever they please. I don't draw any special exemption for myself, which is what almost everyone does when this topic comes up.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 05:21:02 PM »

My thoughts on this are rather complex, and I don't have time to write a 50-page dissertation on this at the moment, but this is a broad summary of my views on "political correctness."

On the one hand, I sympathize with the argument that a democracy can only function so long as citizens can speak their minds without fear of negative social or political repercussions. Whenever the majority becomes so rigid in its beliefs that it refuses to entertain alternative ideas or approaches, it is no longer possible to maintain a liberal democracy (this is one reason why the Civil War came about in the 1860s). If citizens are afraid to speak out for fear that their words will be offensive to those around them, then we have lost the opportunity to grow as a society. Confronting issues like racism, xenophobia, and the like is going to be hard, and we can't effectively address these issues if we're running from uncomfortable situations. In that sense, I feel like the activists calling for "safe spaces" and the like are misguided and immature.

On the other, my personal experience has been that many of those who complain about "political correctness" just want to say racist/sexist/bigoted things without having to deal with the fact that such is no longer socially acceptable. This isn't true of every opponent of political correctness, but it's true of enough people to be noticeable. I have very little sympathy for people who go off on rants about how 'minorities are lazy moochers' and 'God wants rape to happen' and then complain about the 'PC police' when people call them out on it. In these cases, my opposition to screaming racist/sexist/bigoted slurs has nothing to do with being "politically correct" and everything to do with my belief in the importance of not being an a$$h*le.

In short, I think both sides of this debate hold a fair mixture of respectable and absurd beliefs. I don't believe in censorship, but I do believe in being a decent human being, and I don't have a high opinion of those who use opposition to the former to justify noncompliance with the latter.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 05:41:47 PM »

The big problem this country has is being politically correct. I've been challenged by so many people and I don't frankly have time for total political correctness. And to be honest with you, this country doesn't have time either.

Plus it limits the freedom of speech. Political correctness is disgusting.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 05:50:35 PM »

Political correctness according to the dictionary definition is obviously bad.

McCarthyism is a perfect example of how far it can go.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 05:57:33 PM »

Valuable in some instances, but typically taken to extremes.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 07:21:11 PM »

People who complain about political correctness are always the biggest offenders of getting triggered at the drop of a hat e,g, "gamergate" having hissy fits every time their beloved vidya games, Ted Cruz literally crying because the media ask him hard questions etc.

That said "political correctness" and "SJW" seems to used as a fancy euphemism  for "culturally marxist" (itself a fancy euphemism for "damn Jews!" so I don't use the phrase too much.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 07:23:00 PM »

oh yes nearly forgot

Calling African-Americans 'black' is completely okay, and I hate it when people get offended over that. If we can't call African-Americans 'black', then the same logic should be applied to 'white' people. We should call 'white' people European-Americans or Caucasian-Americans. On the other hand, calling a whole group of people drug dealers and rapists is not okay.

Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2016, 07:28:29 PM »

Political correctness is okay while used in moderate scale and not as a political tool.
Both politicians who want to get popularity while being not politically correct (vide - Korwin Mikke in Poland) and those who tries to shut mouths of political opponents while they are saying some strongly "argumented" things which are just uncomfortable for them are just sad and even kinda pathetic to some extend.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2016, 07:40:12 PM »

It depends on the circumstances. Likewise, it is important to remember that political correctness can come from the left, right, and center.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2016, 08:05:44 PM »

HP
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2016, 08:06:51 PM »

My position of course is that both camps who get whiny in this way are wrong and people should be able to say whatever they please. I don't draw any special exemption for myself, which is what almost everyone does when this topic comes up.

Yeah, same here. I think people in general are too easily offended.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2016, 08:14:50 PM »

Like libertarianism, it doesn't exist outside of college campuses and the internet; it's a fiction created and used by people with persecution complexes.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2016, 08:42:53 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2016, 08:47:31 PM by Kingpoleon »

People getting offended by Happy Holidays! or Merry Christmas! is silly. Both, tilt HP. Voted Horrible
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2016, 08:48:19 PM »

HG, used to limit expression/speech mostly over thin-skinned crybabies, but also used by its opponents as an excuse for prejudiced ideas.

Like libertarianism, it doesn't exist outside of college campuses and the internet; it's a fiction created and used by people with persecution complexes.

Oh, didn't know I have a 'persecution complex' Roll Eyes
RR1997
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2016, 09:16:58 PM »

oh yes nearly forgot

Calling African-Americans 'black' is completely okay, and I hate it when people get offended over that. If we can't call African-Americans 'black', then the same logic should be applied to 'white' people. We should call 'white' people European-Americans or Caucasian-Americans. On the other hand, calling a whole group of people drug dealers and rapists is not okay.

I can't see the picture. What does it say?
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2016, 09:58:53 PM »

Voted FF since it is the politically incorrect view on this forum.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2016, 12:24:27 AM »

The big problem this country has is being politically correct. I don't frankly have time for total political correctness. And to be honest with you, this country doesn't have time either.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2016, 12:57:09 AM »

The big problem this country has is being politically correct. I don't frankly have time for total political correctness. And to be honest with you, this country doesn't have time either.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2016, 01:05:34 AM »
« Edited: February 29, 2016, 01:08:16 AM by Bow all your heads to our adored Mary Katherine. »

Obviously the people who complain about 'political correctness' are worse than what they're complaining about, but this thread does give me an opportunity to share the hilarious fact that when a class I'm taking watched Son of Man, a South African Jesus movie with an all-black cast, a few weeks ago, one student, a middle-aged white guy who goes to the ultra-liberal Andover Newton Theological School and is taking this class through the Boston Theological Institute, couldn't bring himself to say 'black' and kept describing the South African, Xhosa-speaking cast first as 'African-American' and then as 'of color'.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2016, 03:36:08 PM »

Obviously the people who complain about 'political correctness' are worse than what they're complaining about, but this thread does give me an opportunity to share the hilarious fact that when a class I'm taking watched Son of Man, a South African Jesus movie with an all-black cast, a few weeks ago, one student, a middle-aged white guy who goes to the ultra-liberal Andover Newton Theological School and is taking this class through the Boston Theological Institute, couldn't bring himself to say 'black' and kept describing the South African, Xhosa-speaking cast first as 'African-American' and then as 'of color'.

lol. But no mention of cultural appropriation.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies