#NeverTrump GOP endorsements LATEST: Graham and Lee voted McMullin
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:38:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  #NeverTrump GOP endorsements LATEST: Graham and Lee voted McMullin
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 45
Author Topic: #NeverTrump GOP endorsements LATEST: Graham and Lee voted McMullin  (Read 108379 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2016, 05:16:22 AM »

In these two segments from WADR, former NJ Gov. Christine Todd Whitman says that if Trump's the nominee, she'll either write in a name or vote for Clinton, while former Romney advisor Dan Senor also says that he won't vote for Trump in the GE, but is convinced that there'll be another Republican option who'll be running 3rd party/Independent:

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/videos/2016-02-29/christie-whitman-i-ll-probably-vote-for-clinton-over-trump

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/videos/2016-03-01/is-the-trump-phenomenon-an-existential-crisis-for-gop
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2016, 07:57:39 AM »

http://www.wsj.com/articles/republican-divide-about-trump-grows-1456797124

“I would not vote for Trump, clearly. If there is any, any, any other choice, a living, breathing person with a pulse, I would be there.”

— Former RNC Chairman Mel Martinez
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2016, 08:06:46 AM »

In these two segments from WADR, former NJ Gov. Christine Todd Whitman says that if Trump's the nominee, she'll either write in a name or vote for Clinton, while former Romney advisor Dan Senor also says that he won't vote for Trump in the GE, but is convinced that there'll be another Republican option who'll be running 3rd party/Independent:

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/videos/2016-02-29/christie-whitman-i-ll-probably-vote-for-clinton-over-trump

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/videos/2016-03-01/is-the-trump-phenomenon-an-existential-crisis-for-gop

But Wulfric told me there wouldn't be any Republicans for Hillary.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2016, 09:43:37 AM »

You people are ridiculous. Pick your poison.

If having free trade is the most important thing to you, then vote Democratic.

If having an aggressive foreign policy is the most important, then vote Democratic.

If keeping taxes and regulations low is your top priority, then vote Republican.

If maintaining the traditional GOP social-cultural policies (pro-life, pro-gun, anti-LGBT) is most important, then vote Republican.

There are only two major parties in this country. The idea that you think you're entitled to have a party that gives you EVERYTHING you want is absurd. Prioritize your issues and make trade-offs. A lot of us who are unaffiliated or moderate voters have been doing that for years.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2016, 09:50:35 AM »

If having an aggressive foreign policy is the most important, then vote Democratic.

If keeping taxes and regulations low is your top priority, then vote Republican.

If maintaining the traditional GOP social-cultural policies (pro-life, pro-gun, anti-LGBT) is most important, then vote Republican.

There are only two major parties in this country. The idea that you think you're entitled to have a party that gives you EVERYTHING you want is absurd. Prioritize your issues and make trade-offs. A lot of us who are unaffiliated or moderate voters have been doing that for years.
No, the point of voting third-party is to show that there's enough popular support for a particular policy position that it forces one of the major parties to put it on the party platform. And that may be what conservatives have to do to bring the GOP back into line.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2016, 09:53:40 AM »

Thank you IndyTx!! Though I disagree with pt 3 in the age of TRUMP, the reverse of that plus even moreso point 4 is why I will be sticking with the GOP this time. Ignore foreign policy is my mantra.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2016, 09:56:16 AM »

Trump is showing how radical these conservatives are - the biggest criticism of TRUMP by Republicans running against him is that he doesn't want people DYING IN THE STREETS thanks to a lack of healthcare.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2016, 09:57:07 AM »

No, the point of voting third-party is to show that there's enough popular support for a particular policy position that it forces one of the major parties to put it on the party platform. And that may be what conservatives have to do to bring the GOP back into line.

What policy position do you want that neither party is advocating for?

I don't think you get that the great unwashed middle class is not going to vote to give rich people more tax cuts anymore unless they get the bigotry and nativism that they need to make that tolerable for them.

Donald Trump is going to give you *most* of what you want. If the way it's packaged and delivered offends your delicate little country club sensibilities, deal with it.
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2016, 10:06:25 AM »

Gelnn Beck endorses Never Trump.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2016, 10:31:18 AM »

My Rubio fundraising emails have included free NeverTrump stickers with a donation
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2016, 10:43:13 AM »

"Constitutionalist" is a meaningless, though frequently used, term.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2016, 05:34:50 PM »

Sanford, Ribble join Rigel and Curbelo.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2016/03/01/three-more-in-house-gop-caucus-just-say-no-to-trump/
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2016, 01:54:52 PM »

Add Gov. Charlie Baker to the list:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/03/02/charlie-baker-won-vote-for-trump-november/PxZyCgPp3hvZb5MfQSjt7K/story.html
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2016, 06:10:42 PM »

Plenty will claim that they'll never support Trump, but I'll believe it when I see it. Mark my word, the vast majority of Republicans will vote for Trump, and the vast majority of Democrats will vote against him.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2016, 04:49:13 AM »

Politico has a story about all the “neocons” who have vowed not to back Trump in the general election:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/trump-clinton-neoconservatives-220151

Bill Kristol has already talked about the fact that he’d back a 3rd party candidate rather than go with Trump, but there’s also this letter signed by 60 Republican “foreign policy insiders” (including conservative author Max Boot, former Secretary of Homeland Security Michael Chertoff, and Bush State Department officials Elliot Cohen and Robert Zoellick) who say they won’t support a Republican ticket led by Trump:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2016, 07:09:04 AM »

I'm on board with #NeverTrump.

As a Republican leaning independent, I fully support Hillary for president, for no reason other than Trump is a racist and a demagogue and I cannot morally support him.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2016, 07:12:03 AM »

To be fair, there are always non-endorsers. Chafee refused to support Bush in 2004, Boren refused to support Obama in 2008.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2016, 07:15:47 AM »

To be fair, there are always non-endorsers. Chafee refused to support Bush in 2004, Boren refused to support Obama in 2008.

I think this will be different. You're getting many high level Republicans staunchly opposing Trump. I can see many of them joining this bandwagon.

When has a candidate ever won when their party peers in the senate are planning to run campaigns distancing themselves from him?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2016, 07:33:20 AM »

Usually just a max of one or two major officeholders per election though.

Let me put it this way: Have any sitting statewide Democratic officeholders so far ruled out supporting Hillary Clinton in the general election, should she be the nominee?  Are we actually expecting that any will?  On the off chance that more than one does, do you really think they'll represent such ideologically diverse constituencies as we have here (Baker from MA and Sasse from NE)?
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2016, 08:30:10 AM »

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2016, 08:38:55 AM »
« Edited: March 03, 2016, 08:42:11 AM by Kilgore Trout »

That's true, but I wonder how many of "never Trump" crowd would eventually fall in line if he's nominated: "well yes, I had some doubts but the most important thing now is to unite and prevent Obama's third term".

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm having a hard time seeing any major Democratic officeholder doing that. Maybe some obscure state legislator at best.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2016, 08:52:36 AM »
« Edited: March 03, 2016, 09:04:51 AM by Clay »

That's true, but I wonder how many of "never Trump" crowd would eventually fall in line if he's nominated. It would be quite difficult to face questions "why are you supporting liberal Hillary?"

Easy. The alternative is a racist demagogue with echoes of Benito Mussolini and policies similar to that of Nazi Germany. The alternative seems happy to have the support of white suprematists. That alone makes this election about more than mere politics, it's about what it means to be a citizen of this country. If being an American means a return to the kind of bigotry and hatred of the past, then by all means vote for Trump. But if not, the only alternative is Hillary.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2016, 08:54:08 AM »

Not remotely surprised.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2016, 10:27:10 AM »

Does this hurt his popularity at all given that 40% of his state's Republicans just voted for Trump?
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2016, 10:54:35 AM »

Its really interesting seeing how diverse the opposition is to Trump.  You've got some moderates, some ideological conservatives, some neocons...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies