#NeverTrump GOP endorsements LATEST: Graham and Lee voted McMullin
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:47:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  #NeverTrump GOP endorsements LATEST: Graham and Lee voted McMullin
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 45
Author Topic: #NeverTrump GOP endorsements LATEST: Graham and Lee voted McMullin  (Read 109096 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: May 07, 2016, 03:37:38 PM »

Trump pledging to arrest Roy Moore might be the one way to get my vote.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #251 on: May 08, 2016, 01:08:59 AM »

Former US Sen. Gordon Humphrey (NH) says he won’t support Trump:

http://www.unionleader.com/Trump_Lewandowski_voted_NH_delegation_chair

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Humphrey is one of New Hampshire’s delegates to the RNC this year (pledged to John Kasich).
Panda Express

« Reply #252 on: May 08, 2016, 01:33:36 AM »

Humphrey is one of New Hampshire’s delegates to the RNC this year (pledged to John Kasich).

"Gordon Humphrey" is the dorkiest sounding name ever
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #253 on: May 08, 2016, 03:49:46 AM »

Former FL Rep. and current Morning Joe host Joe Scarborough says he won’t vote for Trump unless Trump backs away from some of his more extreme proposals like the Muslim ban:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-gop-primary-live-updates-and-results/2016/05/joe-scarborough-trump-vote-222834

So much for Trump/Scarborough.

While I can at least understand social conservatives like JCL not wanting to back Trump because of his strong flirtation with being pro-choice, pro-gay rights, and in favor of Single Payer Health Insurance comma I am got against us that they have Paw Coursey other Republicans like Scarborough and Company who claimed it's Trump's supposedly extreme views on Banning Muslims and the like and immigration that keep them from supporting him. And yet they would in a second rally around Ted Cruz if he won the nomination who holds essentially the exact same policy decisions. For most of these Republicans the only reason they're not supporting Trump vs. Cruise isn't because they have any different views, but rather because Cruz presented in a Harvard Law School veneer of respectable appearance, where is Trump presents the exact same policies with the vulgarity of a reality show star that he is. Color Me unimpressed by the so-called principled Republicans for withholding your support of trump a hundred and 1% on the basis of Style versus substance.

A) The style is the substance in this case, not just because of the profoundly farcical nature of Trump's campaign but because said "style" veers dangerously close to incitement to violence.  It's not merely a matter of making the subtext text.

B) And, if you think it is just a matter of making subtext text, if it's the exact same policies with a different skin...well, that's not entirely false.  But if you really think that, and you choose to stick with your blue avatar, you do realize what that implies about your own desires, no?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #254 on: May 08, 2016, 05:12:27 AM »
« Edited: May 08, 2016, 05:14:25 AM by Mr. Morden »

San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer, “the only Republican mayor of a large US city”, says he won’t vote for Trump:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/may/06/mayor-kevin-faulconer-wont-endorse-trump/

In Washington state, Chris Vance (the likely Republican challenger to Patty Murray) says he won’t back Trump.  While Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers says she’s still undecided, and would have to “have a conversation with Trump” before deciding.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/may/05/mcmorris-rodgers-hesitant-on-trump-senate-challeng/

Meanwhile, former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay (TX) basically says he won’t back Trump unless he fundamentally changes who he is and what his platform is because, as he puts it, Trump is currently “running on tyranny”:

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsmax-Tv/tom-delay-bernie-sanders-supporters-vote/2016/05/05/id/727459/

[The DeLay soundbite isn’t in the text there, but if you watch the video, that’s what he says.]
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #255 on: May 08, 2016, 05:13:21 AM »

Santorum says he hasn’t yet decided who he’s going to vote for, and it sounds like he’s not going to decide for some time:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/christophermassie/rick-santorum-says-hell-sit-on-the-sidelines-of-presidential?utm_term=.ru23mPgYv#.plv7B8rjL

Some shocking self awareness from Frothy here.

Finally got his head out of his frothy rectum. Please stay out and never come back.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #256 on: May 08, 2016, 05:32:03 AM »

Should be noted that in addition to the #NeverTrump endorsements, there have of course been plenty of Republicans endorsing Trump since his de facto clinching of the nomination on Tuesday.  The endorsers of Trump certainly outnumber those who are #NeverTrump, and that's not going to change.

But so many of those endorsements have just been perfunctory “I support the nominee” statements.  Among sitting US Senators, for example, who has really given a full-throated endorsement of Trump besides Jeff Sessions?

I just don’t see this rift in the party repairing itself at any point between now and November.  The idea that opposition to Trump within the GOP is going to fizzle out “just like the PUMAs” seems fanciful to me.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #257 on: May 08, 2016, 05:58:35 AM »

The people claiming to be #NeverTrump during the primaries but are now heeling are a bunch of f**king cucks. At least have some balls about who you support ffs, I mean Bush and Romney are...
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #258 on: May 08, 2016, 06:23:44 AM »

The people claiming to be #NeverTrump during the primaries but are now heeling are a bunch of f**king cucks. At least have some balls about who you support ffs, I mean Bush and Romney are...

Who was claiming to be #NeverTrump during the primaries but now heeling?  Sure, there are people who were opposed to Trump winning the nomination but didn't rule out backing him in the GE.  Many of *those* people are now endorsing him, but they always said they would, or at least might.

But the people who actually said weeks/months ago that they would never vote for Trump in the general election....as far as I can tell, every remotely prominent person in that camp is sticking to their guns so far, and not endorsing him.  Unless I'm missing someone?

IIRC, some here on this forum were saying "Oh, wait and see, once Trump is the only thing standing in the way of the election of a President Hillary Clinton, these people will fold."  But at least so far, it's not happening.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #259 on: May 08, 2016, 12:02:11 PM »

Don't know if Thomas Sowell is a Republican, but he's definitely in the camp of #NeverTrump conservatives.

http://therightscoop.com/thomas-sowell-says-trump-will-discredit-conservatism-calls-for-third-party-candidate/#ixzz484qK3TU8
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #260 on: May 09, 2016, 06:13:43 AM »

It’s not just the political leaders, but the management people too:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/donald-trump-administration-transition-222944

Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #261 on: May 09, 2016, 03:35:46 PM »

Add in David Jolly. CLC will vote for TRUMP but isn't happy about it:

http://www.bradenton.com/news/politics-government/election/article75570552.html
standwrand
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.55, S: -2.74

« Reply #262 on: May 09, 2016, 04:52:56 PM »

Jeff Flake is skipping the GOP convention

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/729778738708156418
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #263 on: May 09, 2016, 05:00:07 PM »

"Gordon Humphrey" is the dorkiest sounding name ever

Hubert Humphrey?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #264 on: May 09, 2016, 06:03:54 PM »

The thing with Trump is that he crosses lines on a lot of issues that make it impossible for people to support him.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #265 on: May 09, 2016, 09:17:26 PM »

Former FL Rep. and current Morning Joe host Joe Scarborough says he won’t vote for Trump unless Trump backs away from some of his more extreme proposals like the Muslim ban:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-gop-primary-live-updates-and-results/2016/05/joe-scarborough-trump-vote-222834

So much for Trump/Scarborough.

While I can at least understand social conservatives like JCL not wanting to back Trump because of his strong flirtation with being pro-choice, pro-gay rights, and in favor of Single Payer Health Insurance comma I am got against us that they have Paw Coursey other Republicans like Scarborough and Company who claimed it's Trump's supposedly extreme views on Banning Muslims and the like and immigration that keep them from supporting him. And yet they would in a second rally around Ted Cruz if he won the nomination who holds essentially the exact same policy decisions. For most of these Republicans the only reason they're not supporting Trump vs. Cruise isn't because they have any different views, but rather because Cruz presented in a Harvard Law School veneer of respectable appearance, where is Trump presents the exact same policies with the vulgarity of a reality show star that he is. Color Me unimpressed by the so-called principled Republicans for withholding your support of trump a hundred and 1% on the basis of Style versus substance.

A) The style is the substance in this case, not just because of the profoundly farcical nature of Trump's campaign but because said "style" veers dangerously close to incitement to violence.  It's not merely a matter of making the subtext text.

B) And, if you think it is just a matter of making subtext text, if it's the exact same policies with a different skin...well, that's not entirely false.  But if you really think that, and you choose to stick with your blue avatar, you do realize what that implies about your own desires, no?

I'm really not sure what you meant here. Probably a moral about posting at quarter to 4 in the morning. Wink

I think you missed my point that the only real difference between Trump's worst xenophobic and Islamophobic position and Cruz's is simply a matter of Cruz packaging it in a more PC manner. Yes, I see that Trump's slimey language impacts the national discourse for the negative, but even on that front Cruz isn't too much better. My real point is it's hypocritical for "mainstream" Republicans to decry Trump's "extremism", while they would've supported Cruz as the nominee (albeit not their first choice for the nom) despite his views ultimately being just as odious, just better packaged.

As for your second point: don't blame me, I voted for Kasich.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #266 on: May 10, 2016, 06:36:32 AM »

Have we heard anything from McCain? I feel sorry for him, really, since he's up for re-election. Hopefully the voters would understand after what Trump said but right wing bigoted ignoramuses are, well, bigoted mouthbreathing ignoramuses who are likely to be angry McCain isn't getting on the TRUMP train.
JRoby
Rookie

« Reply #267 on: May 10, 2016, 06:51:44 AM »

Have we heard anything from McCain? I feel sorry for him, really, since he's up for re-election. Hopefully the voters would understand after what Trump said but right wing bigoted ignoramuses are, well, bigoted mouthbreathing ignoramuses who are likely to be angry McCain isn't getting on the TRUMP train.

He's supporting Trump.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #268 on: May 10, 2016, 07:08:34 AM »

He's supporting Trump.
what an enormous loser
sportydude

« Reply #269 on: May 10, 2016, 09:21:12 AM »

Judge Judy Does Not Want To Be Trump's Running Mate
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #270 on: May 10, 2016, 09:22:20 AM »

He's supporting Trump.

Well, he wants to abstain from the convention.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #271 on: May 11, 2016, 05:14:23 AM »

It remains the case that most of the Republican politicians to have promised not to vote for Trump in the GE are former, rather than current, elected officials.  However, Politico lists some of those currently in office who’ve said that they won’t vote for him:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/donald-trump-gop-endorsements-222894

All of those folks have already been mentioned here except for Justin Amash.  Amash has been highly critical of Trump, and even sent a cryptic tweet which some interpreted as him hinting at a 3rd party run.  But I’m actually not aware of him having said one way or the other whether he’s open to voting for Trump in the GE.  The AP says:

http://www.grandhaventribune.com/Politics/2016/05/06/Michigan-GOP-officials-come-to-grips-with-Trump

But I’m not sure where the quote is from Amash on his GE voting intentions.

Pataki is another one who appears on some of these #NeverTrump lists, and he’s been very critical of Trump, but I haven’t actually seen anyone ask him whether he rules out voting Trump in November.

Likewise, there seems to be a little confusion over whether Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan and Maryland Lt. Gov. Boyd Rutherford are #NeverTrump or not:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/democrats-place-hogan-on-a-silent-9-trump-list/2016/05/04/8e5006ea-124f-11e6-81b4-581a5c4c42df_story.html

I guess that means that Rutherford is #NeverTrump while Hogan won’t publicly comment on who he intends to vote for?  In many cases, it gets rather confusing, because some of these guys are really trying to weasel themselves into a middle position like “support by not endorse” or “won’t endorse, but I might vote for him without telling you”.  OTOH, in other cases I think people say that they won’t support him and legit intend that to mean they won’t vote for him, but the journalists don’t followup in a way that would give them a more airtight statement.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #272 on: May 11, 2016, 11:05:50 AM »

Toomey said as recently as two weeks ago that he would "support the nominee", but now he's saying that Trump might be problematic enough that he'll have to refrain from supporting him:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/christophermassie/pat-toomey-i-hope-we-dont-get-to-a-point-where-i-cant-suppor?utm_term=.rd53wE4Xl#.bajxjp2mP

I'll reiterate what I said earlier in the thread: For some of the most vulnerable House and Senate candidates, it's very possible that if they think they're in big trouble late into the fall, and Trump is still really unpopular at that point, they suddenly discover a disqualifying reason to "un-endorse" Trump, as a last ditch desperation move to save their seat.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #273 on: May 11, 2016, 12:10:09 PM »

his position is critical support
http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/08/politics/john-mccain-donald-trump/
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #274 on: May 11, 2016, 01:00:02 PM »

It amazes me that this is such a vexing issue.  A party that doesn't back its Presidential nominee never does well in November, with the exception of the McGovern 1972 debacle for the Democrats.  Even that was a different situation; you had a core of Southern and Border states whose Democratic Parties were estranged to varying degrees from the National Democratic Party. 

During the 1948 Democratic Nomination process, NC Governor R. Gregg Cherry announced his support for Truman's renomination, despite Truman's support for civil rights legislation.  "If Truman is not beaten at the convention, let's all get under the Democratic flag and help elect him.  Afterward, we can have our Representatives and Senators beat him down when he needs beating."  This seems to me to be more of a realistic strategy for Republicans than the silliness they're indulging in now.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies