#NeverTrump GOP endorsements LATEST: Graham and Lee voted McMullin
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:24:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  #NeverTrump GOP endorsements LATEST: Graham and Lee voted McMullin
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 45
Author Topic: #NeverTrump GOP endorsements LATEST: Graham and Lee voted McMullin  (Read 109104 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: September 04, 2016, 08:53:12 AM »

https://twitter.com/CNNSotu/status/772426553523367936

You must be logged in to read this quote.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #551 on: September 04, 2016, 05:07:47 PM »

It's the pivot!

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump  1m1 minute ago
The Republican Party needs strong and committed leaders, not weak people such as @JeffFlake, if it is going to stop illegal immigration.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #552 on: September 04, 2016, 08:38:23 PM »

Donald Trump gave a strong, unqualified endorsement of John McCain, in sufficient time for the Arizona GOP Senate primary.  This is politics; I can't think of a better way to say "I'm sorry!" than such a gesture. 

That's not good enough for Jeffy Flaky?  Wowsers!  One of two things is true.  Either (A) he just doesn't get that politics is a team sport, or (B) he's one of these "free trade" neocon Republicans that never intended to support Trump because of the support they get from those who profit off of "free trade".  There's nothing Trump could have done to get Flake's support, period. 

And good for Trump to show he's not going to be pushed around by the "demands" of folks like Flake.  Flake wants Trump to damage his campaign with "apologies", which are never accepted, and do nothing but convince Trump's enemies that they were right all along about him.  He shouldn't have made some of these comments, but this is politics, and the demands that he apologize from folks like Flake are insincere.  He needs an excuse for the 2018 primary voters he'll surely have to face.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #553 on: September 04, 2016, 09:02:38 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2016, 12:16:36 PM by Joe Republic »

Donald Trump gave a strong, unqualified endorsement of John McCain, in sufficient time for the Arizona GOP Senate primary.  This is politics; I can't think of a better way to say "I'm sorry!" than such a gesture.

I can.  It would have been to say "I'm sorry" specifically for denigrating McCain's POW history.  That's how adults behave, you see.

You may think that doing so would be "damaging" to Trump's campaign, which says far more about you than anybody else.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #554 on: September 04, 2016, 09:33:34 PM »

(B) he's one of these "free trade" neocon Republicans that never intended to support Trump because of the support they get from those who profit off of "free trade".  There's nothing Trump could have done to get Flake's support, period. 

Sounds like one of the best folks in our party, if true.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #555 on: September 05, 2016, 12:25:02 PM »

It sure would be nice if they could run an ad in Utah (say about $2 million) with Romney endorsing McMullin. I mean, if that's the way Romney's leaning, he could buy the ad himself.

McMullin literally can't win. That would not be nice at all.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #556 on: September 05, 2016, 04:07:00 PM »

I can.  It would have been to say "I'm sorry" specifically for denigrating McCain's POW history.  That's how adults behave, you see.

You may think that doing so would be "damaging" to Trump's campaign, which says far more about you than anybody else.

I view damaging Trump's election chances by caving to the Jeff Flakes of the world a form of using an unimportant issue to give Trump a disadvantage in the election over Hillary Clinton, whose disadvantages stem from important and substantive issues.

Why should Trump cave here?  If he caves to Flakey Jeffy on this issue, why wouldn't someone like myself, who's in agreement with Trump far more than the rest of the GOP on issues, think that Trump won't cave on key platform issues if he gives in on something so unsubstantive.  Was it a thoughtless comment?  Yes, but it was aimed at a war hero who ditched a faithful wife who waited for him for a younger, prettier, and richer woman.  (And I voted for McCain in 2008.)  If I were Trump's advisor, I'd tell him to stand his ground here.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #557 on: September 05, 2016, 04:09:32 PM »

I view damaging Trump's election chances by caving to the Jeff Flakes of the world a form of using an unimportant issue to give Trump a disadvantage in the election over Hillary Clinton, whose disadvantages stem from important and substantive issues.

Why should Trump cave here?  If he caves to Flakey Jeffy on this issue, why wouldn't someone like myself, who's in agreement with Trump far more than the rest of the GOP on issues, think that Trump won't cave on key platform issues if he gives in on something so unsubstantive.  Was it a thoughtless comment?  Yes, but it was aimed at a war hero who ditched a faithful wife who waited for him for a younger, prettier, and richer woman.  (And I voted for McCain in 2008.)  If I were Trump's advisor, I'd tell him to stand his ground here.

People like you are why the party will get crushed in november.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #558 on: September 05, 2016, 04:11:21 PM »

Thank God you aren't Trump's advisor, though it's sickening to think people like you exist.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #559 on: September 05, 2016, 04:18:59 PM »

Why?  Having voted for Obama in 2012 and Kerry in 2004, I'd be a net addition to the GOP ranks if I vote Trump, would I not?

The GOP isn't in trouble because of folks like me.  It's in trouble because it took the votes of folks like me, more often than not, but advocated policies not in my interest.  Free Trade.  Nation-Building wars.  Entangling alliances.  Policies that are great for "the World", but not for America.  This year, Donald Trump, of all people, exposed the fact that the GOP isn't this free-trade, movement conservative monolith; that there was a huge number of Republicans who didn't subscribe to the standard fare the GOP had been putting forth since the Bush 41 years.

For better or worse, this election is one of Americanism vs. Globalism.  That's better than having two (2) Globalist parties. 
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #560 on: September 05, 2016, 04:24:36 PM »

Could you move the policy discussion to another thread and leave this one for actual endorsement news, pretty please?
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #561 on: September 05, 2016, 05:03:46 PM »

Why?  Having voted for Obama in 2012 and Kerry in 2004, I'd be a net addition to the GOP ranks if I vote Trump, would I not?

The GOP isn't in trouble because of folks like me.  It's in trouble because it took the votes of folks like me, more often than not, but advocated policies not in my interest.  Free Trade.  Nation-Building wars.  Entangling alliances.  Policies that are great for "the World", but not for America.  This year, Donald Trump, of all people, exposed the fact that the GOP isn't this free-trade, movement conservative monolith; that there was a huge number of Republicans who didn't subscribe to the standard fare the GOP had been putting forth since the Bush 41 years.

For better or worse, this election is one of Americanism vs. Globalism.  That's better than having two (2) Globalist parties. 

Globalism is Americanism.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #562 on: September 05, 2016, 05:26:00 PM »

That's not good enough for Jeffy Flaky?  Wowsers!  One of two things is true.  Either (A) he just doesn't get that politics is a team sport, or (B) he's one of these "free trade" neocon Republicans that never intended to support Trump because of the support they get from those who profit off of "free trade".  There's nothing Trump could have done to get Flake's support, period. 

And good for Trump to show he's not going to be pushed around by the "demands" of folks like Flake.  Flake wants Trump to damage his campaign with "apologies", which are never accepted, and do nothing but convince Trump's enemies that they were right all along about him.  He shouldn't have made some of these comments, but this is politics, and the demands that he apologize from folks like Flake are insincere.  He needs an excuse for the 2018 primary voters he'll surely have to face.

You are criticizing Jeff Flake for not being a team player at the same time as you are supporting Trump?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #563 on: September 05, 2016, 07:36:19 PM »

Only eight?  Off the top of my head, I can think of at least 10 Republican Senators who haven’t even offered an Ayotte-esque “I support the nominee, though with reservations” boilerplate statement of support:

Coats
Collins
Cruz
Flake
Graham
Heller
Kirk
Lee
Sasse
Toomey

To add to the above: I think Cory Gardner also hasn't endorsed Trump, or even given any kind of "support the nominee" type of statement.  So that's 11 sitting Republican Senators who are hold outs.  I think, perhaps, all of the other 43 current Republican Senators have at least offered some kind of "I support the nominee" type of statement, even if they won't say Trump's name.

Off the top of my head, I can think of at least 10 Republican Senators who haven’t even offered an Ayotte-esque “I support the nominee, though with reservations” boilerplate statement of support:

Coats
Collins
Cruz
Flake
Graham
Heller
Kirk
Lee
Sasse
Toomey

Looks like Coats is no longer on this list, btw, as he currently supports Trump:

http://www.journalgazette.net/news/local/local-politics/Coats-will-continue-to-support-Trump-14589416

So we're currently at 9 sitting Republican US Senators not supporting Trump, though not all of them all #NeverTrump.  Some, like Heller and Toomey, haven't ruled out a Trump endorsement at some point in the future.

Looks like Cory Gardner is in fact backing Trump now (though as with some of his fellow Senators, Gardner managed to issue an endorsement that didn’t mention Trump by name):

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/08/16/cory-gardner-endorses-donald-trump/

And furthermore, looks like I missed Murkowski among the undecided camp:

http://bigstory.ap.org/30501401a5bd4785bf323922c1df1a99

So updated list of sitting Republican Senators not currently supporting Trump is:

Collins
Cruz
Flake
Graham
Heller
Kirk
Lee
Murkowski
Sasse
Toomey

So, ~20% of the Senate GOP caucus isn't backing Trump at the moment, and honestly I think it's close to that %age in the House too, but I'm not keeping track of all the undecided folks there.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #564 on: September 05, 2016, 08:28:47 PM »

You are criticizing Jeff Flake for not being a team player at the same time as you are supporting Trump?

I'm making the observation that, as Rick Santorum accurately said in 2012, "Politics is a Team Sport".  In that vein, I view the failure of a politician in elected office (and, especially, at the state or national level) who doesn't support their party's national ticket as a one-way bus fare to ineffectiveness and oblivion. 

The Presidential nominee who, while in high office, was the coolest to his party's nominee prior to running for President, was, undoubtedly, Jimmy Carter in 1972.  Even there, Jimmy Carter, while noting that McGovern was losing Georgia 2 to 1 (he ended up losing it 3 to 1) made it clear that he would vote for McGovern, even though he would not campaign with him.  Ronald Reagan's differences with Ford were overstated in the press; he made an unqualified endorsement of Ford and repeated it several times during the campaign. 

No politician in history has done what, say, Ted Cruz has done and been nominated for the Presidency.  No one has done what, say, Joe Lieberman or Zell Miller have done and been nominated for the Presidency.  Indeed, mere failure to support their party's opposition ticket has made toast of more than one career.  George Romney.  Nelson Rockefeller.  William Scranton.  George Wallace.  (Had Wallace remained a Democrat and NOMINALLY supported the Democratic ticket, even if simply by saying "I'm voting for the ticket, but I'm not asking anyone else to.", he may well have been the 1976 Democratic nominee, and not Carter.)  A number of Nixon Democrats or, at a minimum, non-McGovern Democrats in 1972 lost their committee chairs in 1974.  A number of 1972 Democrats who did not support McGovern lost primaries afterward, including Lester Maddox, Dolph Briscoe, and Ed Edmondson. 

The Republicans who refuse to back Trump will be toast, all in due time.  If Donald Trump is not elected, Mike Pence, the SUPERSTAR of this fall's election, climbs to the top of the 2020 GOP heap, and NO ONE will supplant him.  And Pence will not reward those who abandoned a ticket with him on it.  Flake, who's kind of stupid, IMO, will be one of those folks.  He's worked to find a way to NOT support Trump, and he's found it.  And he'll be primaried out of office in 2018 because he's too stupid to be loyal.

The #NeverTrump crowd is in the process of destroying their political careers as Republicans.  For many of them, the only hope they'll have is the option to become Democrats, and then, they'll have to hope that their switch is credible.
mencken
« Reply #565 on: September 05, 2016, 08:38:56 PM »

I'm making the observation that, as Rick Santorum accurately said in 2012, "Politics is a Team Sport".  In that vein, I view the failure of a politician in elected office (and, especially, at the state or national level) who doesn't support their party's national ticket as a one-way bus fare to ineffectiveness and oblivion. 

The Presidential nominee who, while in high office, was the coolest to his party's nominee prior to running for President, was, undoubtedly, Jimmy Carter in 1972.  Even there, Jimmy Carter, while noting that McGovern was losing Georgia 2 to 1 (he ended up losing it 3 to 1) made it clear that he would vote for McGovern, even though he would not campaign with him.  Ronald Reagan's differences with Ford were overstated in the press; he made an unqualified endorsement of Ford and repeated it several times during the campaign. 

No politician in history has done what, say, Ted Cruz has done and been nominated for the Presidency.  No one has done what, say, Joe Lieberman or Zell Miller have done and been nominated for the Presidency.  Indeed, mere failure to support their party's opposition ticket has made toast of more than one career.  George Romney.  Nelson Rockefeller.  William Scranton.  George Wallace.  (Had Wallace remained a Democrat and NOMINALLY supported the Democratic ticket, even if simply by saying "I'm voting for the ticket, but I'm not asking anyone else to.", he may well have been the 1976 Democratic nominee, and not Carter.)  A number of Nixon Democrats or, at a minimum, non-McGovern Democrats in 1972 lost their committee chairs in 1974.  A number of 1972 Democrats who did not support McGovern lost primaries afterward, including Lester Maddox, Dolph Briscoe, and Ed Edmondson. 

The Republicans who refuse to back Trump will be toast, all in due time.  If Donald Trump is not elected, Mike Pence, the SUPERSTAR of this fall's election, climbs to the top of the 2020 GOP heap, and NO ONE will supplant him.  And Pence will not reward those who abandoned a ticket with him on it.  Flake, who's kind of stupid, IMO, will be one of those folks.  He's worked to find a way to NOT support Trump, and he's found it.  And he'll be primaried out of office in 2018 because he's too stupid to be loyal.

The #NeverTrump crowd is in the process of destroying their political careers as Republicans.  For many of them, the only hope they'll have is the option to become Democrats, and then, they'll have to hope that their switch is credible.

Trump supported the impeachment of the 2004 Republican nominee, and got nominated 12 years later.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #566 on: September 06, 2016, 08:17:14 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2016, 08:18:53 PM by Classic Conservative »

Mark Levin announces he is voting for Trump. #NeverTrump -1
https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2016/09/levin-im-voting-for-trump

This is pretty big.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #567 on: September 06, 2016, 09:18:09 PM »

I don't think you get the concept of a "team sport."  It doesn't mean the other players have to support the team captain while the team captain gets to kick the other players in the shin.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #568 on: September 06, 2016, 09:21:03 PM »

I'm going to hear Sally Bradshaw speak on Thursday, and I'll post if she says anything further that is interesting about Trump.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #569 on: September 08, 2016, 02:55:31 PM »

She was very against Trump, as I expected.  But, she initially based a lot of that in her belief that Trump will lose (albeit not losing any solidly red states other than maybe Montana- she specifically did say that he would win Georgia) and drag the party down both in 2016 and long-term due to demographics.  She said that she expected the nomination to come down to Bush and Cruz, with Bush eventually winning and told me that she thinks social conservatives have a difficult decision to make.  She said that it was possible that Trump could do OK in the Rust Belt, but that he cannot get the states needed to win unless Hillary runs a poor campaign.  There was a lot of doom and gloom in her talk, and she felt that the GOP would soon split between the Establishment and the Trumpists.

Also, she shared that Graham had told Bush to say in a debate that, with President Trump, there would be a wall on the Canadian border, and Canada would pay for it, but that Bush never was able to work it into a debate.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #570 on: September 13, 2016, 09:25:41 AM »

Doesn't look like Mike Lee is going to jump on the Trump train any time soon:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/never-trump-republicans-standing-firm/article/2601631

Also, the Washington Times recaps who several #NeverTrumpers are planning to vote for:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/sep/6/never-trump-republicans-weigh-how-or-whether-to-vo/

Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #571 on: September 20, 2016, 06:02:03 AM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/09/20/the-ricketts-family-was-a-big-backer-of-nevertrump-now-joe-ricketts-is-supporting-trump/?postshare=6481474346318966&tid=ss_tw

Joe Ricketts originally #NeverTrump is now supporting Trump
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #572 on: September 20, 2016, 08:37:33 AM »

Wait, did Ricketts ever actually say he wouldn't vote for Trump in the general election?  If not, then he wasn't #NeverTrump.  #NeverTrump means you won't back him in the general election, not just that you oppose him in the primaries.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #573 on: September 21, 2016, 12:58:17 PM »

http://theresurgent.com/coming-to-terms-with-trump/
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #574 on: September 21, 2016, 07:34:27 PM »

Former HHS Secretary Louis Wade Sullivan endorsed Clinton:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/louis-w-sullivan-hillary-clinton_us_57cf06dee4b06a74c9f0cf74

Bush 41 supposedly told a group of ~40 people that he intends to vote for Clinton, but he won't actually confirm that on the record:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/20/politics/george-hw-bush-hillary-clinton/index.html?adkey=bn

Not sure what category to include him in then, as he won't actually go on the record with this information.  Sources who were there say he said it, but he won't confirm that.  Thoughts?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies