#NeverTrump GOP endorsements LATEST: Graham and Lee voted McMullin
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:59:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  #NeverTrump GOP endorsements LATEST: Graham and Lee voted McMullin
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 45
Author Topic: #NeverTrump GOP endorsements LATEST: Graham and Lee voted McMullin  (Read 108376 times)
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: September 22, 2016, 06:48:54 AM »

I read this article all the way through and find it compelling.  It has caused me to reevaluate some of my conclusions.

I now see logic in folks not wanting to choose either candidate.  Before reading this, I viewed much of that as folks being cowards, wanting to rationalize that they were still Republicans, even while engaging in a serious break from party loyalty.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #576 on: September 22, 2016, 07:42:51 AM »

Former HHS Secretary Louis Wade Sullivan endorsed Clinton:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/louis-w-sullivan-hillary-clinton_us_57cf06dee4b06a74c9f0cf74

Bush 41 supposedly told a group of ~40 people that he intends to vote for Clinton, but he won't actually confirm that on the record:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/20/politics/george-hw-bush-hillary-clinton/index.html?adkey=bn

Not sure what category to include him in then, as he won't actually go on the record with this information.  Sources who were there say he said it, but he won't confirm that.  Thoughts?

Unless anyone explicitly contradicts this, I'd say include it. That being said Kennedy Townsend's public disclosure seems to have been in rather poor taste.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #577 on: September 22, 2016, 07:50:30 AM »

Former HHS Secretary Louis Wade Sullivan endorsed Clinton:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/louis-w-sullivan-hillary-clinton_us_57cf06dee4b06a74c9f0cf74

Bush 41 supposedly told a group of ~40 people that he intends to vote for Clinton, but he won't actually confirm that on the record:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/20/politics/george-hw-bush-hillary-clinton/index.html?adkey=bn

Not sure what category to include him in then, as he won't actually go on the record with this information.  Sources who were there say he said it, but he won't confirm that.  Thoughts?

Unless anyone explicitly contradicts this, I'd say include it. That being said Kennedy Townsend's public disclosure seems to have been in rather poor taste.

I actually think this is how Bush 41 wanted it to play out.  He can't stand Trump, and he is concerned about his legacy and his sons' legacies.  This is how he gets to have it both ways.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #578 on: September 22, 2016, 06:22:22 PM »

Former GOP Strategist and Austin Petersen Supporter Mary Matalin endorses Trump and will serve on Catholic Advisory Board.
http://blog.4president.org/2016/2016/09/donald-j-trump-campaign-announces-catholic-advisory-group-including-wisconsin-congressman-sean-duffy.html
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #579 on: September 22, 2016, 08:18:39 PM »

Update: Silent Cal on Atlas rejoins the #NeverTrump crowd. He also pledges #NeverClinton #NeverJohnson

What caused your change of heart.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #580 on: September 22, 2016, 09:05:08 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Full list here...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ambassadors-clinton-letter-trump-141636303.html
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #581 on: September 23, 2016, 01:13:35 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2016, 01:17:37 PM by Assemblyman Gass3268 »

Politico: Sounds like Cruz is going to endorse Trump, lol
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #582 on: September 23, 2016, 01:16:17 PM »

Sounds like Cruz is going to endorse Trump, lol
Sad!
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #583 on: September 23, 2016, 01:18:52 PM »

I feel like this is a bigger deal for Cruz than Trump. He as to know he messed up at the RNC. It seems like most of the remaining #NeverTrump folks are more the Kasich types.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #584 on: September 23, 2016, 01:21:06 PM »

And I thought Cruz at least had some twisted form of morality and principles. Guess not.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #585 on: September 23, 2016, 01:50:53 PM »

I've heard rumors about this for a few days now inside Cruz World.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #586 on: September 23, 2016, 02:40:17 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/tedcruzpage/posts/10154476728267464

It's official.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #587 on: September 23, 2016, 02:43:31 PM »

And I thought Cruz at least had some twisted form of morality and principles. Guess not.

This.  Cruz doesn't have many redeeming qualities to begin with, but now we scan scratch this one as well.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #588 on: September 23, 2016, 03:58:23 PM »

Calling these ambassadors "Republican appointees" is misleading, "GOP ambassadors" is flat-out false. To be fair the article doesn't do a good job explaining this, but the letter is clear:

"The undersigned have each previously served the people of the United States as career diplomats in our nation’s Foreign and Civil Services..."

Career FSOs and CSOs are as such nonpartisan. While they are appointed by the President, this is usually on the recommendation of the relevant Foreign/Civil Services Commission, broadly comparable to how senior positions are filled in the armed forces. They are to be contrasted with political appointees, who are chosen from outside the diplomatic services.

Hence none of these ambassadors served as Republicans; their political affiliation, if they had any, would have been a strictly personal and private matter while they were in their respective services. While this is good news for Clinton, it's simply incorrect to claim it is some massive Republican defection.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #589 on: September 23, 2016, 07:00:17 PM »

Crazy Cruz.

What a sell out.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #590 on: September 23, 2016, 09:28:40 PM »

I read this article all the way through and find it compelling.  It has caused me to reevaluate some of my conclusions.

I now see logic in folks not wanting to choose either candidate.  Before reading this, I viewed much of that as folks being cowards, wanting to rationalize that they were still Republicans, even while engaging in a serious break from party loyalty.

Erick Erickson is done reconsidering, endorses McMullin
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #591 on: September 24, 2016, 08:02:22 PM »

He would have made a better mark for his case if he backed Johnson and Weld, who should be acceptable candidates for most #NeverTrump Republicans, except the neocon types.  I think part of the issue is that Johnson and Weld are running as a member of a third party and not as independents, which makes it complicated for those who wish to remain Republicans.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #592 on: September 24, 2016, 11:16:46 PM »

Mary Matalin said all along that she was "provisionally" Trump the whole time, and lol @ ErikErikson.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #593 on: September 24, 2016, 11:20:36 PM »

He would have made a better mark for his case if he backed Johnson and Weld, who should be acceptable candidates for most #NeverTrump Republicans, except the neocon types.  I think part of the issue is that Johnson and Weld are running as a member of a third party and not as independents, which makes it complicated for those who wish to remain Republicans.

I'm not sure.  I don't really understand the whole idea of voting for third parties in the first place, but no social conservative would vote for Gary Johnson.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #594 on: September 25, 2016, 07:15:10 AM »

I'm not sure.  I don't really understand the whole idea of voting for third parties in the first place, but no social conservative would vote for Gary Johnson.

Yes, Johnson (and the LP in general) are pro-choice, which is a deal-breaker for Erickson.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #595 on: September 25, 2016, 08:28:05 AM »

Yes, Johnson (and the LP in general) are pro-choice, which is a deal-breaker for Erickson.

Erickson's position is, in his own words, that Clinton is Anti-American, but Trump is Un-American.  He explains how, so I'm not going to rehash that.  But Johnson and Weld are neither of those, and are running on a limited government platform.  If they were elected, a Republican Congress could support their small government proposals, then beat them down on social issues when they need beating.  Given the context Erickson lays out, I fail to see that this should be such a deal-breaker by his logic. 
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #596 on: September 27, 2016, 04:33:12 PM »

Both Cruz and Fiorina have said in recent days that they'll vote for Trump.  Of course, neither of them ever ruled it out in the past, they were simply noncommittal.  So they weren't listed in the list in the OP, which remains unchanged.  I think with regard to Trump's primary opponents who have not yet said they'll support him, we're down to:

Bush
Graham
Kasich
Pataki

And for US Senators, the ones who are left who have not said that they'll support Trump are:

Collins
Flake
Graham
Heller
Kirk
Lee
Murkowski
Sasse
Toomey

Some of those folks are #NeverTrump, as they've ruled out supporting him.  Others have left open the possibility of backing him, but haven't indicated their support as of yet.  Will any more decide to endorse him between now and November?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #597 on: September 27, 2016, 06:34:36 PM »

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but what are GWB's plans?
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #598 on: September 27, 2016, 06:56:51 PM »

I think Graham will come around. Fmr. Governor Sununu endorsed Trump today by the way.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #599 on: September 27, 2016, 07:15:32 PM »

I think Graham will come around. Fmr. Governor Sununu endorsed Trump today by the way.
Why would Graham endorse Trump? What does he have to gain? He isn't up for reelection until 2020, he'll probably get a primary challenger anyway, and there's a good chance he'll retire (and I wouldn't blame him).
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies