Liberal paper publishes favorable article on George Galloway
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:41:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Liberal paper publishes favorable article on George Galloway
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Liberal paper publishes favorable article on George Galloway  (Read 3443 times)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2005, 12:02:48 PM »

The Memphis Flyer, our local 'alternative' newspaper published an article that referred to George Galloway as an "honorable" man and a "role model".

http://www.memphisflyer.com/content.asp?ArticleID=6&ID=7377

I have written a letter to them in response:

Dear Editor,

Charley Reese’s article “Galloway’s Way” published on May 27 is below your standards of integrity.

The article praises George Galloway as “being an honorable role model”, when he is nothing of the sort.  He is an admitted far-left extremist with disturbing ties to dictatorial regimes that violate fundamental human rights.

Mr. Galloway was expelled from the British Labour Party in May 2003 for “bringing the Labour Party into disrepute through behavior that is prejudicial or grossly detrimental to the Party”  This action occurred after a meeting between Galloway and Saddam where the member of Parliament was giving aid and comfort to the enemy. This wasn’t his first rise in support of the Iraqi dictator.  In 1994, he had another meeting with Saddam and hailed him saying “Sir, I salute your courage, your strength, your indefatigability.”

Iraq isn’t the only brutal dictatorship that Mr. Galloway sympathizes with, he said in a 2002 interview with the Guardian newspaper that he supported the USSR and considers it’s collapse to be the “biggest catastrophe of (his) life”.  An investigation by BBC’s Newsnight program found that he had received payments of £195,000 (about $350,000) to give favaborale coverage of the Pakistani regime of Benazir Bhutto, which at the time was financially assisting the Taliban.

In 2005, he carpetbagged his way from Scotland all the way to the inner-city London district of Bethennial, Green, and Bow.   Galloway inflamed the latent anti-semitic racial tensions in the area to defeat Oona King, a black Jewish Labour Party member.

I suppose that’s what passes for “honorable” in today’s anti-war left.  I hope its not what passes for “honorable” in the Memphis Flyer.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 02:56:23 PM »

Sickening really
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 04:42:09 PM »

I agree with the MemphisFlyer.  Who are you to call someone 'dishonourable' or 'extremist' just because they disagree with you, htmldon?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 06:34:51 AM »

Nice work Smiley, Don

Dave
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 08:19:02 AM »

Good work Don.  But it's certainly not characteristic of the entire anti-war left to praise Galloway.  I'm pretty sure most people actually find him embarrassing.  This paper was obviously an exception.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 05:39:16 PM »

Good work Don.  But it's certainly not characteristic of the entire anti-war left to praise Galloway.  I'm pretty sure most people actually find him embarrassing.  This paper was obviously an exception.

Why would he be embarrassing?
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 05:49:08 PM »

Because Galloway is an unholy combination of Al Sharpton and Groundskeeper Willie..
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 12:22:29 AM »

Because Galloway is an unholy combination of Al Sharpton and Groundskeeper Willie..

That one is going to keep me laughing for a while.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 01:22:17 AM »
« Edited: June 02, 2005, 01:26:21 AM by jfern »

Whoops, didn't mean to edit away the old post.

Galloway has said what really needed to be said about the war. That money is chump change to all of the corporate giveways scandals involving the Bush adminstration in Iraq, particularly Halliburton.

It's amazing how only the news that is favorable to the Bush adminstration seems to reach some people. I bet you didn't know the Busha adminstration has been closely connected to the Iraq oil for food scandal that has been used to bash the UN?

http://spiderleaf.dailykos.com/story/2005/5/21/15592/2665
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 07:01:14 AM »

Because he's George 'Saddam's Ass Wiper' Galloway - that's why he is embarassing. He was such an illuminary in the House of Commons that I'd never even heard of him 'til his opposition to Iraq

Dave
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005, 10:06:13 PM »

What I can't figure out is how can Oona King be black AND Jewish? Did she convert?

And its hypocritical how the conservatives are so supportive of King and yet are so dismissive of her peers in this country Sheila Jackson Lee, Stepahnie Tubbs Jones,etc. The only reason you care about Oona King at all is because she supported the war in Iraq.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2005, 10:20:24 PM »

And also perhaps because she was the only chance they had to keep Galloway out of Parliament?
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2005, 01:16:15 AM »

He was such an illuminary in the House of Commons that I'd never even heard of him 'til his opposition to Iraq

Surely you must have heard the "I salute ...." speech on TV before that?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2005, 01:17:31 AM »

What I can't figure out is how can Oona King be black AND Jewish? Did she convert?

ever heard of the Beta Israel?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2005, 02:20:24 AM »

Because he's George 'Saddam's Ass Wiper' Galloway - that's why he is embarassing. He was such an illuminary in the House of Commons that I'd never even heard of him 'til his opposition to Iraq

Dave

Well, I have nothing against him for involvement with Saddam - as it turns out it Saddam had done nothig at all - it was the other fellow who was causing the problem.  And of course most of Parliament were 'Bush's Ass Wipers' - of course you don't mind that.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2005, 03:06:20 AM »

And of course most of Parliament were 'Bush's Ass Wipers' .

Ever considered the possibility that people with an opposing view to you might be sincere about it?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2005, 03:09:03 AM »

And of course most of Parliament were 'Bush's Ass Wipers' .

Ever considered the possibility that people with an opposing view to you might be sincere about it?

That is certainly possible.  As is sincerity on Galloway's part.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2005, 03:11:01 AM »

As is sincerity on Galloway's part.

Hahahaha! That's actually very, very funny Grin

Good joke. It *is* a joke... right?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2005, 03:17:10 AM »

As is sincerity on Galloway's part.

Hahahaha! That's actually very, very funny Grin

Good joke. It *is* a joke... right?

No.  But to be honest I'm indifferent about his sincerity as he says all the right things, voted well, etc.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2005, 03:21:22 AM »

But to be honest I'm indifferent about his sincerity

Roll Eyes

You must be logged in to read this quote.

"I salute your courage, your etc. etc. etc."

"The collapse of the Soviet Union was the worst day in my life"

Roll Eyes

You must be logged in to read this quote.

He's never in Parliament. Last Parliament he had one of the worst (it may have been *the* worst) attendence records of any M.P. I don't think he's actually turned up to the current Parliament yet.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2005, 03:23:33 AM »

as he says all the right things,

"I salute your courage, your etc. etc. etc."

"The collapse of the Soviet Union was the worst day in my life"

What's wrong with that?  The Soviet Union had a lot of drawbacks, but it made a useful counterweight to American aggression internationally.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2005, 03:28:49 AM »

He's a raving Communist. Labour made the right decision in expelling that psychopath from their ranks.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2005, 05:04:49 AM »

And a hypocrital one at that. Spends all his time in a villa in Portugal and has what could be called a taste for the high life.

Horrible irony is the fact that the last official Communist M.P for an East End seat (who represented Stepney Mile End from 1945 until 1950) won his seat because of his pro-Jewish, pro-Zionist views (Stepney still had a large Jewish population back then. Mostly all gone to Ilford now)...
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2005, 11:19:30 AM »

I object to the slur. 

I kind of like Groundskeeper Willie.

they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2005, 03:19:27 PM »

Even I don't like Galloway. He strikes me as a total opportunist and attention seeker.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies