Bernie already raised over $42 million in February
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:58:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Bernie already raised over $42 million in February
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Bernie already raised over $42 million in February  (Read 3151 times)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2016, 09:35:49 PM »

I've already held off on any more donations until he can prove to me the campaign he's running can still be competitive. I will restart donating if he wins CO, OK, MN, MA, and VT tomorrow while maintaining a close margin in TX.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2016, 09:38:25 PM »

I've been keeping tabs on this image as it refreshes - he's raised $200,000 in the past 30 minutes.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2016, 09:44:29 PM »

Can you imagine how angry you, as a parent, would be if some televangelist was preying on teenagers and college students around the country to the tune of $40,000,000 a month?  And you were sending your child money in college to pay for food and school supplies and he was turning around and sending it to the televangelist, and the televangelist kept asking for more and more and more in increasingly large amounts?
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2016, 09:46:17 PM »

I'll bet anything that some of it ends up in his pocket. Of course he can't get all of it, but he'll find a way to get some of it.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/701505880458719234
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/701506056548196356

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Someone is getting rich off of all of this...

According to OpenSecrets, they apparently ran ads for the "Committee for Justice and Fairness" during the 2013-2014 cycle.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2016, 09:58:40 PM »

ITT: People acting like donating to Bernie Sanders, whose message clearly resonates with millions, is a waste, while implying that the billions of dollars given to other campaigns over the past few years was money well-spent, and couldn't have been donated to medical research instead.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2016, 09:59:18 PM »

Can you imagine how angry you, as a parent, would be if some televangelist was preying on teenagers and college students around the country to the tune of $40,000,000 a month?  And you were sending your child money in college to pay for food and school supplies and he was turning around and sending it to the televangelist, and the televangelist kept asking for more and more and more in increasingly large amounts?

What is your position exactly? That only rich people should donate to candidates?
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2016, 10:01:47 PM »

ITT: People acting like donating to Bernie Sanders, whose message clearly resonates with millions, is a waste, while implying that the billions of dollars given to other campaigns over the past few years was money well-spent, and couldn't have been donated to medical research instead.

The difference is that the Sanders scampaign has no actual chance of winning
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2016, 10:04:50 PM »

I somehow highly doubt that anywhere near a respectable sum of the money being donated is coming from college students or genuinely poor people.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2016, 10:30:10 PM »

Now over $42 million. I think it was $36 million at the beginning of the day, so $6 million just today.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2016, 10:33:10 PM »

I'll bet anything that some of it ends up in his pocket. Of course he can't get all of it, but he'll find a way to get some of it.

I don't think it would be legal to funnel it or directly deposit it.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2016, 10:35:30 PM »

It's a shame about Invisible Obama. His hatred for Sanders has grown so much that he's now willing to believe outright conspiracy theories about Sanders.
swf541

« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2016, 10:36:41 PM »

Hopefully when he drops out he gives the rest to other important races, is that allowed?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2016, 10:37:22 PM »

I feel bad, since the vast majority of those people probably don't follow politics closely enough to realize he's doomed. Or at least go in depth with electoral analysis anyway.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2016, 10:38:13 PM »

I feel bad, since the vast majority of those people probably don't follow politics closely enough to realize he's doomed.

Clearly those who vote on the issues don't follow politics closely unlike those enlightened people who don't vote on the issues.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2016, 10:41:00 PM »

I feel bad, since the vast majority of those people probably don't follow politics closely enough to realize he's doomed. Or at least go in depth with electoral analysis anyway.

The Sanders scampaign preys on low information voters for this very reason.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2016, 10:44:36 PM »

I feel bad, since the vast majority of those people probably don't follow politics closely enough to realize he's doomed.

Clearly those who vote on the issues don't follow politics closely unlike those enlightened people who don't vote on the issues.

Haven't you even admitted that he's essentially doomed? What value is there in donating money to a campaign that can't win? It's about as useful as throwing it down a sinkhole, regardless of how much you like that candidate. But I guess throwing money down a sinkhole is politics in a nutshell these days. Just look at Jeb Bush. They probably could've cured cancer with that $200 million.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2016, 10:47:09 PM »
« Edited: February 29, 2016, 10:50:59 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Haven't you even admitted that he's essentially doomed? What value is there in donating money to a campaign that can't win? It's about as useful as throwing it down a sinkhole, regardless of how much you like that candidate. But I guess throwing money down a sinkhole is politics in a nutshell these days. Just look at Jeb Bush. They probably could've cured cancer with that $200 million.

He's still got some chance, and he's a lot better than Hillary or Trump.

LOL, $200 million isn't even the amount spent on cancer  per day. It's over $100 billion a year.
http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/data-mine/2015/05/05/global-cancer-spending-reaches-100b

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2016, 10:50:51 PM »

Of course not directly, but there are ways to do it indirectly. It's the cynic in me, but someone with such a low net worth raising huge amounts of money has to be tempted to skim a little.

It's a shame about Invisible Obama. His hatred for Sanders has grown so much that he's now willing to believe outright conspiracy theories about Sanders.

You were calling him racist and a white supremacist just the other day, which made no sense. I'm not talking conspiracy, I'm just stating an opinion about how I wouldn't be surprised if some of that money got redirected. His wife and stepdaughter made some good money off of some of his House campaigns. Holier than thou types often slip the most.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2016, 10:51:59 PM »

Of course not directly, but there are ways to do it indirectly. It's the cynic in me, but someone with such a low net worth raising huge amounts of money has to be tempted to skim a little.

You were calling him racist and a white supremacist just the other day, which made no sense. I'm not talking conspiracy, I'm just stating an opinion about how I wouldn't be surprised if some of that money got redirected. His wife and stepdaughter made some good money off of some of his House campaigns. Holier than thou types often slip the most.

I doubt all the money they ever made from his campaigns adds up to one Hillary speech.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2016, 10:53:15 PM »

Yes, I will admit I was saying that. I was trolling, I'll admit that. And you have some valid points. But I feel like if he was trying anything like that, it would have been found out already. Also, his net worth is somewhere between $250,000 and $750,000. I wouldn't call that 'low'.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #45 on: February 29, 2016, 10:54:13 PM »

I doubt all the money they ever made from his campaigns adds up to one Hillary speech.

I'm not talking about Clinton, I'm talking about Sanders. Clinton getting paid for speeches is quite different than family members getting paid from working on a campaign.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2016, 10:57:05 PM »

From what I have seen browsing through /r/sandersforpresident among confirmed supporters that are posting records of their donations, donating to Sanders has become borderline addictive.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2016, 11:02:08 PM »

I'm not talking about Clinton, I'm talking about Sanders. Clinton getting paid for speeches is quite different than family members getting paid from working on a campaign.

They were paid pretty modest amounts for their work. Do you think that labor should be free?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: February 29, 2016, 11:03:49 PM »
« Edited: February 29, 2016, 11:06:06 PM by Governor NeverAgain »

This is the thing you attack Sanders on... This? First of all this was proven to be false (at least the numbers were mostly skewed by partisan politicians)... Secondly it's not a very good attack. I've been warming up to Hillary, but you people really just shove any hope of uniting the Democratic party down the toilet.
Chaddyr23
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.19, S: -5.83

P P
« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2016, 11:04:06 PM »

I've already held off on any more donations until he can prove to me the campaign he's running can still be competitive. I will restart donating if he wins CO, OK, MN, MA, and VT tomorrow while maintaining a close margin in TX.

Same here. I have little confidence, my anecdotal evidence via personal experience. I have simply encountered too many people who wants Sanders but do not plan to vote for him in the primary.  They had fanciful excuses that they didnt know about the registration deadline or that the superdelegates would hand it to Hillary...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies