Freedom to Choose
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:30:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Freedom to Choose
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If you get to choose which tax you would pay, would you choose:
the higher tax (R)

the lower tax (R)

the higher tax (moderate D)

the lower tax (moderate D)

the higher tax (proud liberal)

the lower tax (proud liberal)

the higher tax (L)

the lower tax (L)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Freedom to Choose  (Read 1457 times)
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2005, 02:08:35 PM »

proud liberal - this category includes people such as BRTD, Opebo, jfern, and so forth.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 02:11:12 PM »

I'm not a liberal, nor a Republican, nor a Libertarian, so i can't vote, but I would of course chose the lowest tax possible.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 02:16:37 PM »

I would pick the flat tax, regardless of whether it was higher or lower. Just a lot less work to fill out a postcard.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 02:18:06 PM »

If you can chose, what's the point of a higher tax?  It's like the parable with the two prisoners.  No one else is garenteed to pay a higher tax, so why should you?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 02:18:11 PM »

I would pick the flat tax, regardless of whether it was higher or lower. Just a lot less work to fill out a postcard.

Even if you owed no taxes under the progressive system?  I doubt it.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 02:21:28 PM »

I'm not sure I understand the question.   Why would you not pay the lower tax if the tax system is set-up in that way?  It's not like I'm going to refuse to take deductions that I am entitled to, or pay the AMT when it is higher than my regular tax.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 02:23:45 PM »

If you can chose, what's the point of a higher tax?  It's like the parable with the two prisoners.  No one else is garenteed to pay a higher tax, so why should you?
Liberals like to tell the world how it is good to be taxed.  Its always about "raising taxes" on those that have to give those that don't have.  Well, I have news for those people: there are millions on welfare that depend on you.  If you want to support welfare and health care and medicaid and medicare and other government crap, you need to pay in.  More.

Those people will, of course, actually do what they say they want.  I hope.  We'll see.

Those liberals that vote for the lower tax are simply hypocrites (like BRTD who refused to cancel his refund earlier this year).  Moderate democrats... that is much harder to discuss.  You will know if you're one of them that have the "tax everyone except me" attitude.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 02:24:42 PM »

I'm not sure I understand the question.   Why would you not pay the lower tax if the tax system is set-up in that way?  It's not like I'm going to refuse to take deductions that I am entitled to, or pay the AMT when it is higher than my regular tax.
You're in favor of the Freedom to Choose then right?  Because if you're not, you're another idiot.  Remember, you are free to choose NOT to utilize the new flat tax system!
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 02:25:57 PM »

Flat tax is typically progressive. It exempts about $13,000 for an individual, $26,000 for a married couple filing jointly, and several thousand dollars for a dependent.

I see the progressive income tax as a form of slavery, and a way for the government to run my life. I oppose it on a moral basis, and would do anything to free myself from it.

Because of all the deductions, a lot of rich people don't pay all that much over 20%.

Hong Kong implemented this system, and today, just about everyone is on the flat tax. People like it better.

Once you pick the flat tax, you're locked in for life.

Flat tax isn't necessarily lower, anyway.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 02:27:58 PM »

You're in favor of the Freedom to Choose then right?  Because if you're not, you're another idiot.  Remember, you are free to choose NOT to utilize the new flat tax system!

No I'm not in favor of this.  I want everyone to be under the same set of obligations.  I am willing to pay my share of a progressive tax, but I also want the government to be properly funded, so I want everyone else to have to pay this tax too.  Taxes are an obligation, not a charity.  You don't get to choose how much you want to pay.  You can vote for people who support your preferred tax policy, but once that policy is enacted, you have to pay what they tell you to.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 02:30:20 PM »

We voted, and now we want them to enact a choice.

It worked in Hong Kong, and it can work here. Just about everyone will pick the flat tax.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2005, 02:31:13 PM »

No I'm not in favor of this.  I want everyone to be under the same set of obligations.  I am willing to pay my share of a progressive tax, but I also want the government to be properly funded, so I want everyone else to have to pay this tax too.  Taxes are an obligation, not a charity.  You don't get to choose how much you want to pay.  You can vote for people who support your preferred tax policy, but once that policy is enacted, you have to pay what they tell you to.
But it seems the obligation may be that you get to choose.  Of course, since you want the government properly funded (which can be done with a 5% flat tax, but that thats for a different threat) and you don't believe it can be done with the flat tax, you will pick the older, higher tax, right?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2005, 02:37:47 PM »

No, if everyone paid a flat tax of 20%, with just personal exemptions, it would be roughly revenue neutral. The government can be funded with a flat tax.

And just about everyone will switch to the flat tax, as happened in Hong Kong and other countries that tried the same thing.

Once you're in the flat tax system, you're locked in. I don't see a revenue problem here; it certainly has worked where it has been tried.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2005, 04:38:39 PM »

Obviously I would choose the higher rate, as that would mean I was rich.  Better to get 30% of a million a year income than 100% of the pittance workers get.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2005, 05:18:12 PM »

No I'm not in favor of this.  I want everyone to be under the same set of obligations.  I am willing to pay my share of a progressive tax, but I also want the government to be properly funded, so I want everyone else to have to pay this tax too.  Taxes are an obligation, not a charity.  You don't get to choose how much you want to pay.  You can vote for people who support your preferred tax policy, but once that policy is enacted, you have to pay what they tell you to.
But it seems the obligation may be that you get to choose.  Of course, since you want the government properly funded (which can be done with a 5% flat tax, but that thats for a different threat) and you don't believe it can be done with the flat tax, you will pick the older, higher tax, right?

I guess the point is that my individual choice about what tax to pay doesn't make a difference as to whether or not the government get funded, since I am so small relative to the nation.  It only gets funded if a whole lot of other people also pay the higher tax.  So I'm willing to pay the higher tax, but only if offered assurances that enough other people will also pay the higher tax that the government will be funded to a level proportionate to the tax I pay.  These assurance usually come in the form of legal obligations.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2005, 07:50:37 PM »

Option 4
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies