Which of the current governors could get elected to the House or Senate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:30:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Which of the current governors could get elected to the House or Senate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which of the current governors could get elected to the House or Senate?  (Read 690 times)
The Arizonan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 01, 2016, 08:16:56 PM »

If the current governors decided to run for the House or the Senate, which ones could get in? This question assumes that the candidates could carpetbag into whichever congressional district they'd have the best shot in if they run for the House and not the Senate.

I'd say that most of them, except Charlie Baker and Bill Walker could make it.
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 09:28:22 PM »

Bentley (AL) - probably wouldn't do either. He's 73 now, and I can't see the Republicans nominating him if Richard Shelby passed away (who is 81).
Walker (AR)  - Senate in 2020 (beating Sullivan)
Ducey (AZ) - Senate in 2022 to replace retiring McCain
Hutchison (AK) - any house
Brown (CA) - no, wouldn't end career going to house
Hickenlooper (CO) - Senator in 2020 (beating Gardner)
Malloy (CT) - CT 1 in 2020 (when Larson is 72)
Markell (DE) - Senator in 2018 (Carper retires)
Scott (FL) - Senator in 2018 (picking up when Nelson retires)
Deal (GA) - any house, but probably wouldn't
Ige (HI) - Senator in 2024 (retiring Hirono)
Otter (ID) - no, he'll be 75 when he's done governor
Rauner (IL) - assuming he somehow wins in 2018, maybe run for a downstate house race in 2022
Pence (IN) - Senator in 2018 (beating Donnelly)
Branstad (IA) - probably done in 2018 (will be 72)
Brownback (KS) - Senator in 2020 (retiring Roberts)
Bevin (KY) - Senator in 2020 (McConnell retiring)
Edwards (LA) - Senator in 2022 (beating who wins this year)
Baker (MA) - appoints himself when Warren becomes part of presidential administration
Hogan (MD) - MD-1 in 2022... somehow
Snyder (MI) - MI-7 in 2018 when Walberg retires at age 67)
Bryant (MS) - Senator in 2020 (replacing retiring Cochran)
Nixon (MO) - MO-5 in 2018 (when Cleaver retires)
That's what I got so far.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 12:00:08 AM »

Raimondo could, once Reid retires (but she probably won't be Governor because it's still probably a ways off).
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 12:45:56 AM »

Gary Herbert in Utah could get into the House or Senate, though considering he's almost 70, why would he want to?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 03:04:44 AM »

Kasich, Sandoval, Dayton, Pence, Sheheen, Edwards, and Walker(AK) easily. Others, it depends.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 12:01:32 PM »

I can't see John Bel Edwards being elected to the Senate.  Remember, part of why he won was because Vitter was a terrible candidate, Jindal was unpopular, and a governor race is different from a senate race. In a governor race, a candidate can distance him/herself from the national party, which is what Edwards did, but in a senate race, a vote for one candidate is an implicit vote for that party as the majority party, and for their agenda.  Anyway, I can see Jack Dalrymple elected to the senate in 2018, and unless Kasich is president, VP, or in the cabinet, I think he can easily defeat Sherrod Brown in 2018.  If a Nevada senate seat is open, or has a Democratic incumbent, Sandoval will likely run.  And, I disagree with the OP that Baker couldn't win.  Baker appears to be very popular, plus he is the perfect Republican for Massachusetts.  Also, if Kristi Noem vacates her House seat to run for something else, I can see Daugaard winning it after his term is up as governor.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 01:46:42 PM »

I disagree with hurricanehink, Pence could not get elected to the Senate, especially not versus Donnelly. Might be a different story if he ran to replace Coats. I doubt he would want to, but were Feinstein to retire in 2018, Brown could probably get elected to the Senate. Kasich could most likely get elected to the Senate here, but I doubt he wants it. Don't think Bevin could make it in the Senate, maybe the House.

Beebe should have run for the Senate this year. I fully believe he could have taken out Boozman with ease.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 02:39:23 PM »

I disagree with hurricanehink, Pence could not get elected to the Senate, especially not versus Donnelly. Might be a different story if he ran to replace Coats. I doubt he would want to, but were Feinstein to retire in 2018, Brown could probably get elected to the Senate. Kasich could most likely get elected to the Senate here, but I doubt he wants it. Don't think Bevin could make it in the Senate, maybe the House.

Beebe should have run for the Senate this year. I fully believe he could have taken out Boozman with ease.

You're right about Pence. If he wanted to replace Coats he'd have an easier time. Against Donnelly in 2018, maybe lower midterm turnout would help, but it would likely take a strong wave for him to win.  Donnelly is vulnerable, and I think he will go down, but Ballard (or Young if he loses the primary) is the man to take him down.  I also doubt Pence would run halfway through his gubernatorial term (if he's reelected), and if he loses reelection, then the Indiana GOP certainly won't nominate him.  Beebe is definately the the right Democrat to make an Arkansas senate race competitive, especially in a presidential year, with Hillary as the Dem nominee, and against Boozman.  Beebe got reelected in 2010, despite being a really bad year for Democrats overall, and Boozman winning by a good margin.  I think his career is done, though.  He's getting up in age, he'll be 73 when Cotton (harder to beat, IMO) is up for reelection, and 75 when Boozman is up again.  Boozman is safe this year, I think.  And although I doubt it, I'd love to see Kasich run for Senate in 2018 if he's not President or Vice President.  Brown is a bad fit for Ohio, IMO, and his seat is Kasich's if he wants it.  Portman and Kasich would be a great Senate duo, I think.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 10:50:06 PM »

As a partisan Democrat from Ohio, the idea of a Portman/Kasich duo in the Senate gives me the heebiejeebies. Sherrod Brown's one of the best Senators period (IMO, of course) but that's an issue for another thread.

But yeah, Pence is a weaker candidate than people think. 2012 was the closest Indiana Gubernatorial election in decades. He's only gotten less popular since, especially with the RFRA, which Indianapolis Republicans weren't not fond of, Ballard and Lugar included. Hell, it's possible he won't be re-elected Governor. Gregg's running strong.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 06:00:30 PM »

As a partisan Democrat from Ohio, the idea of a Portman/Kasich duo in the Senate gives me the heebiejeebies. Sherrod Brown's one of the best Senators period (IMO, of course) but that's an issue for another thread.

But yeah, Pence is a weaker candidate than people think. 2012 was the closest Indiana Gubernatorial election in decades. He's only gotten less popular since, especially with the RFRA, which Indianapolis Republicans weren't not fond of, Ballard and Lugar included. Hell, it's possible he won't be re-elected Governor. Gregg's running strong.

At least you're honest
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 06:09:15 PM »

Scott is definitely interested in running in 2018.

At least you're honest
Well 'aint this ironic.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies