This is what a "liberal" Muslim country is like
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:43:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  This is what a "liberal" Muslim country is like
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: This is what a "liberal" Muslim country is like  (Read 3379 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2005, 09:09:18 PM »
« edited: May 31, 2005, 09:18:35 PM by Born on the Floor »

http://www.rferl.org/featuresarticle/2005/5/5D7836FB-303A-4F49-BBA7-A55266A77B3B.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Apparentely, even one of the most secularized Muslim countries can't handle a simple beauty pagaent. Now do you see what I mean abou Muslim oppression? This doesn't get any controversy in the US or other Christian countries at all, except from whiny stupid extremist feminists who are probably just jealous they can't get laid.

Oh, and Miss Indonesia did make it to the top 15, which is worthy because she is damn fine:

Now compare that to these protestors:

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 09:17:35 PM »

it appears there's a connection problem that just came up recently. It should be fixed sometime soon then but I'll edit in the whole article copied and pasted since I still have it open on my browser in the original post.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 09:36:21 PM »

In most muslim lands, the brothers of any such contestant would murder her as soon as they could get their hands on her.  Brave girl.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 12:19:28 AM »

In the US, seeing a woman's ankles was considered taboo a hundred years ago.

You can't expect Muslim culture to advance three hundred years in thirty, let alone ten.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 12:29:48 AM »

You can't expect Muslim culture to advance three hundred years in thirty, let alone ten.

Well, you can help them along with verbal abuse, trade sanctions, and allowing women from muslim lands automatic immigration as refugees from human rights abuse, while disbarring muslim men from immigration.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 11:42:00 AM »

so why are all Muslim countries so far behind and backward?
WilliamSeward
sepoy1857
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 11:52:48 AM »

Very true. To understand one aspect of their society you should understand all aspects. It is very different. Personally though I consider Malaysia and Turkey to be the most "liberal" muslim countries, not Bangladesh.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 11:57:20 AM »

People often cite Malaysia as an example too. But read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination_against_non-Muslims_in_Malaysia
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 12:01:40 PM »

It's simple: Muslim is a disturbing faith with disturbing followers and now amount of 'dressing up' by liberal elites will change many people's opinions. Muslim states can of course make their own laws if they wish but the have no right to force their views on others.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 04:04:23 PM »

Christianity has had a 400 year head start on Islam, for one.
CBGB

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 04:27:31 PM »

Christianity's head start came from looting moslem libraries and mosques at the end of the reconquista in spain.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2005, 05:35:34 PM »

Christianity has had a 400 year head start on Islam, for one.

Christianity is still 'far behind and backward'.  The only reason historically christian countries are better now than Islamic countries is because most people don't take christianity very seriously anymore.

The key to advancement is getting rid of these superstitions.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 05:48:41 AM »

Religion is not the same thing as superstition.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2005, 08:53:43 AM »

The problem is: Christians had 500 years of Renaissance, Enlightenment, Industrial revolution, and other 'revolutions' to give it a shove in the 'let's all get along' direction. Jews didn't have such a revolution, but instead had 3,000 years as a minority religion to work the 'kill dem strange folk' urge. Islam never had that. They got left behind, socially and technologically, and are rather pissed about it. Dangerous combination.

Incidentally, a 'religion' can be defined very vaguely. Militant Atheism is in fact a form of religious faith (faith that there is no god); Communism especially is a religion (with saints like Marx, Lenin, and Mao, a written Manifesto, etc).
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2005, 12:22:09 AM »

What about all that New Age nonsense? It's a very new religion and I've never heard of such people killing anyone in the name of their religion, even though it is a bunch of loopy crap. What about Unitarian Universalism? When did that come around? How many militiant Unitarians have killed anyone?
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2005, 12:42:10 AM »

Well, you can help them along with verbal abuse, trade sanctions, and allowing women from muslim lands automatic immigration as refugees from human rights abuse, while disbarring muslim men from immigration.

I completely agree. Strong measures are needed to fight radical Islam.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2005, 02:30:36 AM »

I completely agree. Strong measures are needed to fight radical Islam.

It is cool we agree for once.  And as a side benefit our immigration would become heavily imbalanced towards females. Wink
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2005, 02:45:26 AM »

I can feel the hedonism already... Wink
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2005, 03:02:00 AM »

I can feel the hedonism already... Wink

They say muslim women really go crazy when they escape the strictures of their horribly oppressive society/religion.

A friend of mine in Thailand who owns a guesthouse bagged an incredibly hot Kazakstani stewardess who was staying at his place.  She was so over-the-top hot-to-trot as a muslim woman away from home, she made the hookers look tame.   

She told us that back home kidnapping is a popular way to marry a girl - you kidnap her, and she is then 'shamed' or soiled, even if you don't  her.. and then she has to marry you.. can't go back to her family.  So if a daughter is really hot, there is a huge risk of her being kidnapped.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2005, 09:06:12 PM »

What about all that New Age nonsense? It's a very new religion and I've never heard of such people killing anyone in the name of their religion, even though it is a bunch of loopy crap. What about Unitarian Universalism? When did that come around? How many militiant Unitarians have killed anyone?

Most new agers are too low dogma to go around killing people, but there are some notable exceptions (heaven's gate springs to mind).  The Unitarians have been around since the 16th century or so, and merged with the Universalists in the early 1960's..  I have heard of no killings in the name of UU (once again, probably because of the whole low dogma thing).    Radical fundementalist Christians (originating early 20th century) on the other hand, can often be a dangerous bunch. 

I'm suprised nobody has mentioned Turkey yet in this discussion.  The nation is overwhelmingly Islamic, and yet is a western style democracy (A republican parlamentary democracy according to the CIA world factbook), complete with personal freedoms and membership in NATO.  They do have their problems, and Amnesty International does have some complaints about their treatment of prisoners, but they are far from the 'death to the infidels' style commonly associated with Iran and other theocracies.

But of course, Turkey is a secular nation which has a primarily Muslim population, not a state run on the precepts of someone's interperetation of Islam.  I think that is the real difference.  I can think of only two nations which are dominated by a religion (other than Islam).  Israel, though a Jewish state in name is still largely secular (and is embedded in it's own controversies), and Vatican City - which is really more of an oversized central church than a formal nation.

I don't think Christianity is a bunch of foolish superstion, even though I disagree with the beliefs of some Christians.  But I think mixing government and religion is very dangerous.   A mix of political/military power and absolute religious conviction of being in the right make for a truely dangerous concotion. 

I think the real problem is not Islam, but Islamisism, which is a hybrid of religious fanatasism and ultra-nationalism - two things which are dangerous enough on their own, and a really bad idea put together.   The Christian equivilent has some support, but exists within a sufficently free society that few are desperate enough to take extreme measures.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2005, 06:46:02 AM »

Maybe you should read a few books on the history of muslim peoples...

Yes! I recommend this to anyone who calls Islam a "Religion of Peace" and believes that anyone is capable of working with that group of animals.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies