Sanders Supporters -if Hillary Wins, Who Should Be Her Running-Mate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:44:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Sanders Supporters -if Hillary Wins, Who Should Be Her Running-Mate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: To Bernie Sanders supporters -which of these potential running-mates would reconcile you to Hillary more?
Hilda Solis

Sherrod Brown

Elizabeth Warren

Julian Castro

Tammy Baldwin

Tim Kaine

Corey Booker

Terry McAuliffe

Mark Warner

Claire McCaskill

Martin Heinrich

Michael Bennett

Amy Klobuchar

Brian Schatz

Mazie Hirono

John Hickenlooper

Gina Raimondo

Kate Brown

Anthony Foxx

Other

Not a Bernie Sanders supporter

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Sanders Supporters -if Hillary Wins, Who Should Be Her Running-Mate?  (Read 1092 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 02, 2016, 11:57:11 PM »
« edited: March 03, 2016, 12:06:46 AM by Frodo »

Pick as many as you like, and/or suggest alternatives.

And to reiterate -this poll is for supporters of Bernie Sanders only.  
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 11:59:02 PM »

What about Tulsi Gabbard? I don't think Clinton would pick her, but that would be a great ticket in my mind.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 12:16:04 AM »
« Edited: March 03, 2016, 12:32:06 AM by The Unbearable Invicibility of Hillary Clinton »

Joe Biden--he's got the job all figured out.

Edit: Guess I should have actually read the OP, since I'm not a  Sanders voter.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 12:20:45 AM »

The poll is written as if I need reconciliation. Bernie's my first choice, but Hillary is a perfectly acceptable candidate, and I'll be happy to cast my vote for her in the general election regardless of who she chooses as VP.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 12:25:55 AM »

The poll is written as if I need reconciliation. Bernie's my first choice, but Hillary is a perfectly acceptable candidate, and I'll be happy to cast my vote for her in the general election regardless of who she chooses as VP.
I agree. Although I voted Warren and other (Sanders), neither of which is likely. I would like her to win, and I don't know strategically which candidate is best.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 12:31:02 AM »

What asshole voted for Cory Booker?!?
Mallow
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 12:33:40 AM »

I agree. Although I voted Warren and other (Sanders), neither of which is likely. I would like her to win, and I don't know strategically which candidate is best.

Also voted Warren and a few others, but I agree with your last notion--whichever candidate gives her the biggest strategic advantage. I hate to underestimate the Republican candidate, but it does look like Clinton is going to come into this thing with a pretty decent advantage already. A good VP pick would only seal the deal.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 12:51:33 AM »

Much as I would love to see a Clinton/Warren ticket, I know there's a <0% chance of that happening. Kaine would be a fairly harmless choice. Heinrich could add some youth to the ticket.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 01:15:18 AM »

I'd be excited with these choices:

Hilda Solis   
Sherrod Brown       
Elizabeth Warren   
Julian Castro       
Tammy Baldwin       
Martin Heinrich       
Kate Brown
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 08:29:34 AM »

It should be Schatz, Castro or Warner
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 08:59:32 AM »

I'll be supporting the D ticket in November no matter what, so I voted for the ones I think would be good choices.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 10:23:56 AM »

Marco Rubio.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 10:25:15 AM »

I think Gabbard would be a fantastic choice if she wins the nomination.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 10:45:31 AM »

How about...Bernie Sanders?
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 10:59:59 AM »

Yeah, seriously, why wouldn't that be an option?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 11:02:07 AM »

Probably should be an option in the poll, but it's not going to happen and I'm fine with that. I'd much rather have him in the Senate than as Vice President.
Averroės Nix
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2016, 12:22:03 PM »

Tammy Baldwin is my top preference, but there are others who would be OK. The key factor in retaining my vote will be picking someone who isn't an unqualified light-weight hack, like Julian Castro. Adding Castro to the ticket would be a disastrous sign for the future of the Democratic Party.

One expectation that gives me pause is that I imagine that being Clinton's VP will be a bit of a career-deflator for whoever is chosen. It's not a role that I expect to have much power in her administration. This is one reason why I wouldn't want Warren on the ticket.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 01:22:51 PM »

Tammy Baldwin is my top preference, but there are others who would be OK. The key factor in retaining my vote will be picking someone who isn't an unqualified light-weight hack, like Julian Castro. Adding Castro to the ticket would be a disastrous sign for the future of the Democratic Party.

One expectation that gives me pause is that I imagine that being Clinton's VP will be a bit of a career-deflator for whoever is chosen. It's not a role that I expect to have much power in her administration. This is one reason why I wouldn't want Warren on the ticket.

Sounds like Hilda Solis should be your top choice instead.  
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 01:27:58 PM »

I love Tammy Baldwin, which is why I don't want her to be put in a largely irrelevant position while a Scott Walker appointee replaces her in the Senate.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2016, 01:49:55 PM »

I love Tammy Baldwin, which is why I don't want her to be put in a largely irrelevant position while a Scott Walker appointee replaces her in the Senate.

If all the hype and concern about Hillary's health actually amount to anything, the Veep could actually be a very important position, which makes it imperative that we have someone of substance there and not some figurehead. 
RJEvans
MasterRegal
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2016, 01:50:40 PM »

Not a Sanders supporter but my favorites are Castro, Warren and Booker. But I have this fear Clinton will choose McAuliffe. That choice does not excite me in any way.
JMT

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2016, 01:56:31 PM »

I'm a Sanders supporter, and Hillary will have my vote in the likely scenario she is the nominee. I would LOVE a Clinton/Warren ticket, but I don't think that will happen. She may have more power in the senate anyways, and I don't think Clinton will pick a woman running mate. So I voted for Sherrod Brown, I would be almost as excited for that ticket. Part of me wouldn't want Brown to be taken out of the senate because he's progressive and has won twice in a swing state, I fear his senate seat could go Republican. But Brown would be a great VP and could help Clinton carry Ohio, the most important swing state of the election.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2016, 02:12:57 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2016, 02:59:41 PM by Bull Moose Base »

How the hell did everyone on Atlas miss the Tom Perez VP buzz this week? It's fairly likely a trial balloon coming from Hillaryland.

One intriguing scenario is a GOP convention with no Trump majority where Hillary doesn't know her opponent until right before she has to make her pick. Ironically, a Trump nomination paired with a tough challenge from Sanders makes Warren and Perez more appealing for their progressive politics than for identity politics. But as for Warren...

I'm a Sanders supporter, and Hillary will have my vote in the likely scenario she is the nominee. I would LOVE a Clinton/Warren ticket, but I don't think that will happen. She may have more power in the senate anyways, and I don't think Clinton will pick a woman running mate.

I agree with you that Warren, like Sanders, is more powerful outside the administration.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Your fear is very justified. It's basically a guaranteed loss of a Democratic senate seat which could amount to Hillary being unable to get any appointments through, including Supreme Court justice. (Also, I'm not convinced Kasich won't run again in 2020 in the event Trump is nominated and goes down in flames, making it even more likely he'd replace Brown with a Republican.) Anyway, Brown, like Heinrich, Baldwin, Booker, would be disastrous picks for the risk they pose to the senate balance. Tim Kaine is less of a risk since McAuliffe would appoint a replacement for 1 (or is it 2?) year(s) and that would buy Hillary some time to get something done. And against Trump, Kaine seems like a decent surrogate to play for the white, suburban voters in the Midwest and Virginia. He's also a decent choice to match up against Christie or Huckabee in a debate so he remains the most likely pick. But it depends on how good a job she can do uniting the party after sewing up the nomination. Presumably, Sanders, Warren and Obama will work hard to help her do so.

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2016, 06:31:16 PM »

If all the hype and concern about Hillary's health actually amount to anything, the Veep could actually be a very important position, which makes it imperative that we have someone of substance there and not some figurehead. 

Someone of substance would be great, but I don't really care about ideological purity in this case, especially if the Senate is on the line.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2016, 07:20:40 PM »

Someone of substance would be great, but I don't really care about ideological purity in this case, especially if the Senate is on the line.

I don't disagree with you about that, which is why I think Hilda Solis will be favored over sitting congressmen and congresswomen.  She fulfills everything without endangering anything.  
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies