My Op-Ed in The Hill: Only Kasich nomination can save the GOP (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:37:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  My Op-Ed in The Hill: Only Kasich nomination can save the GOP (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: My Op-Ed in The Hill: Only Kasich nomination can save the GOP  (Read 3767 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« on: March 03, 2016, 07:19:17 PM »

Inks,

Great article by the way cool to see an article by a forum member published in The Hill. But, Kasich is too boring and not conservative enough for most republicans.

I take issue with the underlined part of your quote.  I didn't used to, but the way this primary season has played out give me pause.

There are a lot of "big government Republicans".  What they want is the kind of "big government" Donald Trump provides.  Some of Trump's supporters are heavily conservative in one area or another, and some are "movement conservatives" for whom the GOP has lost its credibility.  But these folks are more than willing to take on Trump and his apostasy on several issues where he deviates from GOP orthodoxy.  I think that the real problem is that the GOP Establishment doesn't really have an accurate idea as to who and what the Republican Party actually is these days.  It's more than the "movement conservatives" who are supposed to dominate primaries, but who aren't dominating this one.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 10:14:37 PM »

Hillary vs Kasich would be such a boring election.

In reality TV I want exciting - in real life politics, boring is good!

Yes, Governor Kasich is boring. But he also happens to be the best qualified to run the country. He is the most knowledgeable, he has the best temperment, he would be the best person to hold the line on runaway spending, he's the one person on the GOP side that understands how to work with people and how to get things done, and he's the one person that can peel away the necessary crossover votes in the GE. Yes, his path to the nomination is a bit narrow, but there's still a path available, so we'll see.

Note the highlighted quote.  If the Establishment were really looking for the "most qualified" candidate who would provide "good government", Kasich would have been their clear-cut choice from the gate.  That they would choose Rubio over Kasich says what they think about what has been traditionally been considered "qualifications" and "credentials".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies