Which party is the party of ignorant hicks?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 08:23:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which party is the party of ignorant hicks?
Dem

GOP

Both

Neither

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Which party is the party of ignorant hicks?  (Read 2156 times)
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 03, 2016, 08:02:18 PM »

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 08:56:54 PM »

I think they forgot to include that one in the exit polls.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 05:10:06 AM »

Both, but calling people "ignorant hicks" is elitist and if you say it loud enough it will get them to support the opposite party as you.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 09:04:39 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2016, 11:29:27 AM by Virginia »

Both, but calling people "ignorant hicks" is elitist and if you say it loud enough it will get them to support the opposite party as you.

Not so sure about that. If 'hick' means means this:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Followed by this definition of provincial:

Then I think what party they are most likely to belong to should be obvious, because at this point in time, Democrats are hardly the party of rural America.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 04:21:23 PM »

Please...cmon...

Then I think what party they are most likely to belong to should be obvious, because at this point in time, Democrats are hardly the party of rural America.

Exactly, you can come up with a name to call ignorant Democrats, but they aren't the hicks.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 07:10:56 PM »

Democrats lost the hick vote in 1994
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 01:19:58 AM »

A lot of "ignorants" in BOTH parties, but "hicks" are mostly voting Republican now...
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 02:17:15 PM »

rural African-Americans though

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 02:30:05 PM »

This topic is of course dumb, but the obvious answer is it depends on location.  I'm sure a lot of Republicans in the Boston suburbs of NH talk about those darn hicks upstate who keep the state blue...
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 02:42:34 PM »

In Western Washington, most of the stereotypically "hick" areas still lean strongly Democrat.  The Republican bits are the weird fundie pockets and exurbia, neither of which I'd really associate with hickishness. 
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 04:48:33 PM »

This topic is of course dumb, but the obvious answer is it depends on location.  I'm sure a lot of Republicans in the Boston suburbs of NH talk about those darn hicks upstate who keep the state blue...
I realize the topic is dumb, but the poll results from this and its companion question on this board ("Which party is the party of the rich?") seem to indicate what I suspected: that in today's political environment, the Dems can score points BOTH by portraying the GOP as the party of the country-club rich AND as the party of toothless rednecks who can barely spell their own name.
James Bond 007
Rookie
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 01:07:57 AM »

This is a loaded question geared to insight division and opposition.  It's things questions like your's that are only driving us further apart.  Ignorant and hicks don't have to be the same thing.  You don't even specify what you're referring to. One could even argue both parties are "ignorant" of each other's interests.  Does this make anyone ignorant unless they're an independent? I don't expect to see much maturity in the answers.
James Bond 007
Rookie
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 01:15:37 AM »

I realize the topic is dumb, but the poll results from this and its companion question on this board ("Which party is the party of the rich?") seem to indicate what I suspected: that in today's political environment, the Dems can score points BOTH by portraying the GOP as the party of the country-club rich AND as the party of toothless rednecks who can barely spell their own name.

That's the stereotype of today's political environment.  Believe it or not, those are very old tricks, especially about the rich.  Democrats seized the opportunity when the stock market crashed in 1929 and haven't been able to get over themselves since.  To me this attitude represents elitism as does your question.  The idea that people outside of this forum are so easily influenced is incorrect.  Otherwise we'd have no Republicans in any office. Have you ever heard of Hollywood? As far as perception, I'd encourage you to look at election results and not read forums.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 01:30:00 PM »

The American Freedom Party, formally the American Third Position Party.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2016, 02:21:30 PM »

Ignorant Hicks? Probably GOP. Ignorant people in general? Tie or lean dem. Deoends how you define hick and ignorant. Obviously your stereotype redneck probably votes more republican than democrat.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2016, 06:17:32 PM »

This is a loaded question geared to insight division and opposition.  It's things questions like your's that are only driving us further apart.  Ignorant and hicks don't have to be the same thing.  You don't even specify what you're referring to. One could even argue both parties are "ignorant" of each other's interests.  Does this make anyone ignorant unless they're an independent? I don't expect to see much maturity in the answers.
I knew I would take some flak for this question, and I sincerely regret any serious offense that was taken. I appreciate the "freedom of speech" nature of this forum, and asked this question along with its companion question about the party of the rich, to try to prove a point: that people can hold seemingly contradictory feelings about one party or the other. Overwhelmingly, according to both my polls, members of this forum regard the GOP as the party of both "the rich" and "ignorant hicks" whatever those terms may mean to different people. Therein lies a conundrum, much like the complaint of feminists that conservatives criticize the Left on two seemingly contradictory grounds: (1) turning women into career women and (2) turning women into welfare mothers, for example. (The commonality of course in this case is emancipation from dependence on a husband's income).
James Bond 007
Rookie
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2016, 10:30:33 PM »

I knew I would take some flak for this question, and I sincerely regret any serious offense that was taken. I appreciate the "freedom of speech" nature of this forum, and asked this question along with its companion question about the party of the rich, to try to prove a point: that people can hold seemingly contradictory feelings about one party or the other. Overwhelmingly, according to both my polls, members of this forum regard the GOP as the party of both "the rich" and "ignorant hicks" whatever those terms may mean to different people. Therein lies a conundrum, much like the complaint of feminists that conservatives criticize the Left on two seemingly contradictory grounds: (1) turning women into career women and (2) turning women into welfare mothers, for example. (The commonality of course in this case is emancipation from dependence on a husband's income).

No offense taken.  There are contradictions in the perceptions of parties.  It's just that most times people aren't civilized enough on either side to have a discussion without finger pointing and accusations on elitism and the wealthy.  "Ignorant hicks" to me can often mean down to earth and not wanting big government oppression.  Some may consider "educated" to mean snobby and elitist.  Rhetoric on both sides in campaigns fuels these images which aren't what comes out in legislation because there's usually compromise whether anyone wants it or not.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 08:08:23 PM »

Dems. Source: Am ignorant hick.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2016, 08:18:28 PM »

"means means this"? Clearly this Southern Democrat is a hick. Tongue
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 12:15:37 PM »

On a state-by-state basis the Democratic is still the party of ignorant hicks. Folks from the boonies in LA vote Democrat. Its the suburbanites who hold up the GOP.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 12:28:06 PM »

Well, it was good while it lasted. I've been outed as the inbred hick I so shamefully am Sad
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2016, 05:09:53 PM »

Well, it was good while it lasted. I've been outed as the inbred hick I so shamefully am Sad

Looks like we're in the same boat sister. But is Florida even a part of the south? Or are y'all too good for us now? Smiley
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2016, 07:06:27 PM »

So its been like a week and the mods haven't banned this racist topic yet? Interesting. The days of "excessive hyperbole" warnings must be over.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2016, 09:09:47 PM »

Looks like we're in the same boat sister. But is Florida even a part of the south? Or are y'all too good for us now? Smiley

We're the New South, and our biggest export is Florida Man Tongue
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2016, 10:30:43 PM »

General Election victories--or victories in general--are built on the backs of the ignorant. Do not be so quick to alienate them.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies