The Secret Trump Voters: the silent majority speaks out
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:16:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The Secret Trump Voters: the silent majority speaks out
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Secret Trump Voters: the silent majority speaks out  (Read 1189 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 04, 2016, 01:05:16 PM »

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/mar/03/secret-donald-trump-voters-speak-out
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 02:20:22 PM »

I believe the depth and breadth of Trump voters is much larger than folks realize. There's a reason why it's called a "secret ballot" - nobody need know who you vote for, so like the article points out, people in demographic groups that normally would side with Clinton are rethinking their options, and for a variety of reasons.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 03:07:22 PM »

I wonder if the guy supporting trump solely because he opposes HB1 visas changed his mind after last night. Most likely.

I believe the depth and breadth of Trump voters is much larger than folks realize. There's a reason why it's called a "secret ballot" - nobody need know who you vote for, so like the article points out, people in demographic groups that normally would side with Clinton are rethinking their options, and for a variety of reasons.

The actual elections, in which trump consistently underperforms, occasionally by double-digits, do not agree with you.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 05:03:39 PM »

Silent "majority"?  He's won 34% of the Republican primary vote so far.  Shouldn't that be "Silent plurality"?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 05:05:55 PM »

I wonder if the guy supporting trump solely because he opposes HB1 visas changed his mind after last night. Most likely.

The actual elections, in which trump consistently underperforms, occasionally by double-digits, do not agree with you.

You can't possibly be serious. The caucuses are obvious and fully expected, but Trump performs right in line with his poll numbers in all seriously polled primaries. I liked the trump shtick, but now you are delving into stupidity.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 05:55:47 PM »

Silent "majority"?  He's won 34% of the Republican primary vote so far.  Shouldn't that be "Silent plurality"?

just using Trump's terminology..
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 06:09:29 PM »

You can't possibly be serious. The caucuses are obvious and fully expected, but Trump performs right in line with his poll numbers in all seriously polled primaries. I liked the trump shtick, but now you are delving into stupidity.

Off the top of my head, trump significantly underperformed expectations in Vermont, Virginia, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas, all of which were primaries (along with every caucus so far conducted, except for some reason Nevada). That's roughly half of all contests that have occurred to date, with trump performing pretty much in line with polling expectations in the other half. Underperforming in half of all contests and never overperforming is a pretty consistent pattern to my mind.

And thank you for your compliment of my trump shtick. I highly encourage the Silent (but rapidly Awakening) Majority of trump's opponents to adopt it.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 06:17:26 PM »

Off the top of my head, trump significantly underperformed expectations in Vermont, Virginia, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas, all of which were primaries (along with every caucus so far conducted, except for some reason Nevada). That's roughly half of all contests that have occurred to date, with trump performing pretty much in line with polling expectations in the other half. Underperforming in half of all contests and never overperforming is a pretty consistent pattern to my mind.

And thank you for your compliment of my trump shtick. I highly encourage the Silent (but rapidly Awakening) Majority of trump's opponents to adopt it.

In that case, you're comparing to unrealistic ironic supporter fantasies than to real polling. Morning Consult's heat map effectively in line with VT. Trolls like Torie believed Trump wouldn't win Arkansas because THE POLLS. I'm pretty sure he hit his Virginia numbers exactly, Rubio just outperformed.

I'm not sure I took a close look at Oklahoma before hand. If there were any polls he underperformed, I'd chalk it up to it being a closed primary which forced many of his voters to go to Sanders instead.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 07:24:52 PM »

In that case, you're comparing to unrealistic ironic supporter fantasies than to real polling. Morning Consult's heat map effectively in line with VT. Trolls like Torie believed Trump wouldn't win Arkansas because THE POLLS. I'm pretty sure he hit his Virginia numbers exactly, Rubio just outperformed.

I'm not sure I took a close look at Oklahoma before hand. If there were any polls he underperformed, I'd chalk it up to it being a closed primary which forced many of his voters to go to Sanders instead.

I was mostly looking at the numbers by margin, since that's more typically how polls are judged. Cruz was supposed to win Texas by 9; he won by 17. trump was supposed to win Virginia by 15; he won by 2. trump was supposed to win Oklahoma by 11; he lost by 6. trump was supposed to win Vermont by 15; he lost by 2. trump did do a bit better than the averages in Alabama and Massachusetts, where he overperformed by 4, but that pales in comparison to his failings.

If you look at the percents he receives, though, they're usually more accurate. But standing alone the percentage a candidate receives doesn't tell us very much about the result. 35% in a 2-candidate race and 35% in a 4-candidate race are very different performances, for instance.

trump also underperformed the expectations of betting markets; he was supposed to win every state but Texas, I believe, a feat which he didn't even come close to.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 10:32:38 PM »

I identify with a number of these people.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies